NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:This is false. The named scholarships are a completely separate process.


Fair enough. It still seems like it would lessen the likelihood of receiving a named scholarship, though. They already have you reeled in, there's no reason for them to give you a ton of money.

LOL. "I concede, but I stand by my original point."

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:32 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:This is false. The named scholarships are a completely separate process.


Fair enough. It still seems like it would lessen the likelihood of receiving a named scholarship, though. They already have you reeled in, there's no reason for them to give you a ton of money.

LOL. "I concede, but I stand by my original point."


LOL RC fail.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:LOL RC fail.[/quote
:?:
]
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
You're not getting the scholarship because you EDed, they already know they have you. LOL.

You were already an auto-acceptance early December. I don't even....


Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Fair enough. It still seems like it would lessen the likelihood of receiving a named scholarship, though. They already have you reeled in, there's no reason for them to give you a ton of money.


So you went from definitely to unlikely because there is no reason.

Yeah, those are totally different. Boy you got me! :roll:

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:40 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Yeah, those are totally different. Boy you got me! :roll:


Lol no. Why don't you try reading next time? I conceded your point, but qualified it by stating that there is no logical reason for NYU to offer scholarships (large or small). Can you provide any evidence of ED candidates receiving large scholarships?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Yeah, those are totally different. Boy you got me! :roll:


Lol no. Why don't you try reading next time? I conceded your point, but qualified it by stating that there is no logical reason for NYU to offer scholarships (large or small). Can you provide any evidence of ED candidates receiving large scholarships?

Not without outing people... But I do know that, yes.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:42 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Yeah, those are totally different. Boy you got me! :roll:


Lol no. Why don't you try reading next time? I conceded your point, but qualified it by stating that there is no logical reason for NYU to offer scholarships (large or small). Can you provide any evidence of ED candidates receiving large scholarships?

Not without outing people... But I do know that, yes.


Fair enough. I still stand by my point that there's no reason for NYU to actually do this.

The funny thing is PI scholarships are useless. If an individual is going to go into PI regardless, then they will be covered through LRAP. So they either get their tuition exempted now, or in the future.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:42 pm

They only give so many named scholarships per year, and I don't think they re-offer if a person denies. They at least don't re-offer everything, that much I do know. It is in NYU's best interest to admit someone into one of those programs that they know will attend. In that sense, it would actually make sense to give it to someone who was an ED applicant.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Yeah, those are totally different. Boy you got me! :roll:


Lol no. Why don't you try reading next time? I conceded your point, but qualified it by stating that there is no logical reason for NYU to offer scholarships (large or small). Can you provide any evidence of ED candidates receiving large scholarships?

Not without outing people... But I do know that, yes.


Fair enough. I still stand by my point that there's no reason for NYU to actually do this.

The funny thing is PI scholarships are useless. If an individual is going to go into PI regardless, then they will be covered through LRAP. So they either get their tuition exempted now, or in the future.

There are a lot of limitations there, and you are way oversimplifying it. Plus, the program itself gives you a lot of additional opportunities.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:They only give so many named scholarships per year, and I don't think they re-offer if a person denies. They at least don't re-offer everything, that much I do know. It is in NYU's best interest to admit someone into one of those programs that they know will attend. In that sense, it would actually make sense to give it to someone who was an ED applicant.


So they can feel good about themselves for being 'PI oriented'?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:They only give so many named scholarships per year, and I don't think they re-offer if a person denies. They at least don't re-offer everything, that much I do know. It is in NYU's best interest to admit someone into one of those programs that they know will attend. In that sense, it would actually make sense to give it to someone who was an ED applicant.


So they can feel good about themselves for being 'PI oriented'?

I have no idea what this means.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:46 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:They only give so many named scholarships per year, and I don't think they re-offer if a person denies. They at least don't re-offer everything, that much I do know. It is in NYU's best interest to admit someone into one of those programs that they know will attend. In that sense, it would actually make sense to give it to someone who was an ED applicant.


So they can feel good about themselves for being 'PI oriented'?

I have no idea what this means.


The only point of offering stipulated scholarships (for PI) is so that they can pat themselves on their backs and say "Hey, we care about the community. We're not all about big law." It seems like a way to amplify the conception.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Perdevise » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Yeah, those are totally different. Boy you got me! :roll:


Lol no. Why don't you try reading next time? I conceded your point, but qualified it by stating that there is no logical reason for NYU to offer scholarships (large or small). Can you provide any evidence of ED candidates receiving large scholarships?

Not without outing people... But I do know that, yes.


Fair enough. I still stand by my point that there's no reason for NYU to actually do this.

The funny thing is PI scholarships are useless. If an individual is going to go into PI regardless, then they will be covered through LRAP. So they either get their tuition exempted now, or in the future.


This is true, but it would be much less of a hassle to simply have your tuition waived than to borrow the money, pay it to the school, and then deal with the LRAP system for many years.
Last edited by Perdevise on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:They only give so many named scholarships per year, and I don't think they re-offer if a person denies. They at least don't re-offer everything, that much I do know. It is in NYU's best interest to admit someone into one of those programs that they know will attend. In that sense, it would actually make sense to give it to someone who was an ED applicant.


So they can feel good about themselves for being 'PI oriented'?

I have no idea what this means.


The only point of offering stipulated scholarships (for PI) is so that they can pat themselves on their backs and say "Hey, we care about the community. We're not all about big law." It seems like a way to amplify the conception.

OR, it's because NYU Law alumni donated the money and had the scholarship set up in their name with certain stipulations. But that's totally unlikely.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:52 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:OR, it's because NYU Law alumni donated the money and had the scholarship set up in their name with certain stipulations. But that's totally unlikely.


Yes -- all in an effort to continue that PI name. Seems a lot better to me if they just gave scholarships to the most qualified candidates regardless of what field they're going into or make it all need-based like YHS.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:OR, it's because NYU Law alumni donated the money and had the scholarship set up in their name with certain stipulations. But that's totally unlikely.


Yes -- all in an effort to continue that PI name. Seems a lot better to me if they just gave scholarships to the most qualified candidates regardless of what field they're going into or make it all need-based like YHS.

You do realize most schools have fellowships and research positions for certain fields once you're in law school... right? This is the same thing, just front-loaded.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Personally, I am really glad NYU has those scholarships. Many PI jobs are NOT covered in LRAP, and some LRAP programs include your spouse's income, etc so they are not perfect. For instance if you eventually get a more policy-oriented job it may not be covered in LRAP. I would MUCH prefer the PI scholarship up front than having to deal with LRAP.

Plus, I'm of the mindset that why give a full tuition scholarship to someone who's going into biglaw? They can easily pay it back themselves. If the LRAP was so perfect, why don't more people do PI? I think the debt burden DOES prevent a lot of people from taking a low paying job, even with the LRAP.

People in PI are already going to be struggling, so why not make their load a little lighter and free them up to do the work they're passionate about? That makes more sense to me...

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby soj » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 pm

It's true getting a PI scholarship are better than getting LRAP because (1) not all PI jobs qualify for LRAP, (2) you can get disqualified from LRAP if you have a spouse with high income, (3) scholarships are less hassle than LRAP, and (4) because scholarships come with mentorship and other programs.

Reasons 3-4 aren't deal-breakers to me. More hassle doesn't mean less money (I certainly hope not for the sake of NYU LRAP's reputation), so who really cares? Mentorship is nice, but it can't be that much better than what's already available to non-scholarship PI students at NYU.

Reasons 1-2 are major weaknesses of the NYU LRAP. I'm not saying it's not fair that someone with a rich spouse should be disqualified from LRAP. I think it's fair, but for a prospective student, why not just go to a school where there's no risk of having to pay back (even if they happen to get lucky and get a non-qualifying job or a rich spouse)? There are peer schools where 1 is less of an issue, and peer schools where 2 is not an issue at all. So while those scholarships are nice for mitigating those weaknesses, they don't seem to give any reason to choose NYU over peer schools whose LRAP is better.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Yeshia90 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Yeah, it's official. ED'ing as soon as I get that LoR in.
Last edited by Yeshia90 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm

I haven't really heard of people having an issue with jobs not being covered by LRAP. The issue you do have to look out for is that your salary will most likely get to a point during your 10 years that you have to pay a decent amount. But in reality, the LRAP is very good. But you will have student contributions you have to pay. Really though, these minor details between LRAPs shouldn't be a make or break between schools. There is a very high change you will change your mind and take a firm job.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Perdevise » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:55 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I haven't really heard of people having an issue with jobs not being covered by LRAP. The issue you do have to look out for is that your salary will most likely get to a point during your 10 years that you have to pay a decent amount. But in reality, the LRAP is very good. But you will have student contributions you have to pay. Really though, these minor details between LRAPs shouldn't be a make or break between schools. There is a very high change you will change your mind and take a firm job.


Just ask Donatello over there. Fighting crime is def. public interest.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby SA1928 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Yeah, it's official. ED'ing as soon as I get that LoR in.


I know you had been planning on ED'ing to NYU, but I saw earlier you also said you were going to an info session today (TLS stalker, sorry :oops: )...was there anything in particular at the info session that made you feel extra confident in your decision to ED?

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Yeshia90 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:13 pm

SA1928 wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:Yeah, it's official. ED'ing as soon as I get that LoR in.


I know you had been planning on ED'ing to NYU, but I saw earlier you also said you were going to an info session today (TLS stalker, sorry :oops: )...was there anything in particular at the info session that made you feel extra confident in your decision to ED?


It was more a matter of just confirming my decision, but I really liked how they handed the info session--it was me and seven or eight other prospective students in a less formal setting, with both an admissions counselor and a student to kind of tackle what NYU's all about from multiple perspectives. They stressed the PI focus and LRAP program, and even though I'm probably aiming towards biglaw, it was really nice to know that going to NYU keeps that option open. But, really, I just got a good vibe from the buildings and Greenwich Village. I want to go to there.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 pm

freestallion wrote:Plus, I'm of the mindset that why give a full tuition scholarship to someone who's going into biglaw? They can easily pay it back themselves.


Because not everyone who wants to go into biglaw actually gets biglaw. Because we should be rewarding those who (a) need it the most or (b) deserved it the most. Granted, I'm assuming that desert is tied to numerical excellence [something I feel is more objective]

freestallion wrote:If the LRAP was so perfect, why don't more people do PI? I think the debt burden DOES prevent a lot of people from taking a low paying job, even with the LRAP.


I'd assume that a lot of people aren't interested in doing PI work. A lot of people are (a) more interested in the greater return on investment, or (b) have a greater interest in things like corporate transactional work.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
freestallion wrote:Plus, I'm of the mindset that why give a full tuition scholarship to someone who's going into biglaw? They can easily pay it back themselves.


Because not everyone who wants to go into biglaw actually gets biglaw. Because we should be rewarding those who (a) need it the most or (b) deserved it the most. Granted, I'm assuming that desert is tied to numerical excellence [something I feel is more objective]

freestallion wrote:If the LRAP was so perfect, why don't more people do PI? I think the debt burden DOES prevent a lot of people from taking a low paying job, even with the LRAP.


I'd assume that a lot of people aren't interested in doing PI work. A lot of people are (a) more interested in the greater return on investment, or (b) have a greater interest in things like corporate transactional work.


Like it or not, NYU has better PI numbers and placement than its peer schools. So apparently the scholarships/programs/LRAP are enticing more people at NYU to go into PI.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:30 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Like it or not, NYU has better PI numbers and placement than its peer schools. So apparently the scholarships/programs/LRAP are enticing more people at NYU to go into PI.


And when did I ever dispute this? I think it's general knowledge.

Your second sentence confounds correlation with causation, however. Maybe people interested in PI are drawn towards NYU because of the programs.

Regardless, I don't see how that point is relevant. I don't care either way. If people want to do PI, then fine by me. If people don't want to do PI, then fine by me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, hwwong, Kimmysradscreenname and 3 guests