NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:52 pm

So is the NYU ASW the same as the Mich one? Mainly, it only updates once a day?

gimelstein315
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby gimelstein315 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 pm

is it possible that perhaps the change is the insertion of the "eve. phone number" -- i think that, for me, this section was blank until today.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Killingly wrote:
snehpets wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:Yup, it has Date-Time: 2011-12-07 10:40 and Action: Remove


so curious now! at least we all seem to have relatively good stats, from what i could stalk.


Yep. As someone with auto-reject stats who hasn't updated, it seems like a good sign for you guys. Good luck!

And I love your avatar, Snehpets.


thanks :D i've been binge-watching 30 rock lately. and i don't think you're an auto-reject! especially with ED. i'm still holding out hope for you!

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:58 pm

gimelstein315 wrote:is it possible that perhaps the change is the insertion of the "eve. phone number" -- i think that, for me, this section was blank until today.


That would be interesting considering they called people yesterday. I dunno if I had that in my info before or not.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Crap, just realized I forgot to bring my cell phone to work today :|

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Strange wrote:Crap, just realized I forgot to bring my cell phone to work today :|


Oh no!! Well people yesterday were also able to access ASW after they got the DLS update, so hopefully this will give you some peace of mind until you get home and check your voicemail :)

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby soj » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
potl wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:based anecdotally on LSN, I have a feeling that WL/accepts have relatively low yields.


A lower yield than for regular RD admits?

it's more a feeling than anything (no research backing this up) but I feel like when people come off the WL, they've already made there decision in many cases. a lot of people getting WLd by NYU are going to get into peers or MVP with money, which seems like it would be tough to leave so late in the cycle.

Dubious.

Of people on LSN who reported getting into NYU off the WL last year, about 40% decided to attend, 30% decided to withdraw, and 30% didn't indicate. This is actually higher yield than straight admits.

Whatever you said about nyu admits having other options is even more true of straight admits, though admittedly they have more advance notice. Very few people who get into nyu off the WL have options in HYS, for instance, whereas many straight admits do.

I would imagine that many people who get money at lower t14 and don't want to go to nyu would just withdraw from the WL.

Finally, some schools (Chicago did this with at least one person last year) email people on the WL first just to make sure they're still interested before taking them off the WL. I wouldn't be surprised if nyu does this, providing an extra bit of yield protection.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby crumpledq » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:08 pm

crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


lol, you're definitely in. having said that, i'm glad there are other people as neurotic as me in the world.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:08 pm

crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


I've always been under the impression that the school is not allowed to/will not send out information about your admission status to anyone but you. Are they even allowed to call your mom with that information?

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:09 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


I've always been under the impression that the school is not allowed to/will not send out information about your admission status to anyone but you. Are they even allowed to call your mom with that information?


They did it last year for someone whose parent was an alum. I've heard of other schools doing it as well.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm

soj wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
potl wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:based anecdotally on LSN, I have a feeling that WL/accepts have relatively low yields.


A lower yield than for regular RD admits?

it's more a feeling than anything (no research backing this up) but I feel like when people come off the WL, they've already made there decision in many cases. a lot of people getting WLd by NYU are going to get into peers or MVP with money, which seems like it would be tough to leave so late in the cycle.

Dubious.

Of people on LSN who reported getting into NYU off the WL last year, about 40% decided to attend, 30% decided to withdraw, and 30% didn't indicate. This is actually higher yield than straight admits.

Whatever you said about nyu admits having other options is even more true of straight admits, though admittedly they have more advance notice. Very few people who get into nyu off the WL have options in HYS, for instance, whereas many straight admits do.

I would imagine that many people who get money at lower t14 and don't want to go to nyu would just withdraw from the WL.

Finally, some schools (Chicago did this with at least one person last year) email people on the WL first just to make sure they're still interested before taking them off the WL. I wouldn't be surprised if nyu does this, providing an extra bit of yield protection.

good point. Notre Dame did this with me last year. I guess I was overvaluing the effect of the lateness of the decision.

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Themaddh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm

snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


I've always been under the impression that the school is not allowed to/will not send out information about your admission status to anyone but you. Are they even allowed to call your mom with that information?


They did it last year for someone whose parent was an alum. I've heard of other schools doing it as well.


Notwithstanding the fact that it's totally illegal for schools to do this unless the student expressly consented to the school contacting their parents with private school information.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby crumpledq » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Themaddh wrote:
snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


I've always been under the impression that the school is not allowed to/will not send out information about your admission status to anyone but you. Are they even allowed to call your mom with that information?


They did it last year for someone whose parent was an alum. I've heard of other schools doing it as well.


Notwithstanding the fact that it's totally illegal for schools to do this unless the student expressly consented to the school contacting their parents with private school information.


I'm not sure about the legality, but when I filled out my application I consented to the school contacting family members and recommenders about my application, if I recall correctly.
Last edited by crumpledq on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NervousNelly
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby NervousNelly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Themaddh wrote:
snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


I've always been under the impression that the school is not allowed to/will not send out information about your admission status to anyone but you. Are they even allowed to call your mom with that information?


They did it last year for someone whose parent was an alum. I've heard of other schools doing it as well.


Notwithstanding the fact that it's totally illegal for schools to do this unless the student expressly consented to the school contacting their parents with private school information.




Most things are "legal" at private institutions provided you give enough $$$

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Themaddh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Last edited by Themaddh on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Themaddh wrote:
snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Status has not updated, despite my mom receiving the "your daughter has been admitted" call yesterday. I am afraid that someone transmitted the wrong name to the alumni office. My cubicle is teeming with paranoia and status-refreshing.


I've always been under the impression that the school is not allowed to/will not send out information about your admission status to anyone but you. Are they even allowed to call your mom with that information?


They did it last year for someone whose parent was an alum. I've heard of other schools doing it as well.


Notwithstanding the fact that it's totally illegal for schools to do this unless the student expressly consented to the school contacting their parents with private school information.


maybe there's a spot on the app where you can give permission and/or it's in some of the fine print? or she's being prank called, i suppose, but that just seems really unlikely, especially considering that this has supposedly happened before.

NervousNelly
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby NervousNelly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Themaddh wrote:No it's breaking federal law



Note the quotation marks -- internet speak for sarcasm

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Who cares? lol

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Themaddh wrote:No it's breaking federal law

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco ... rents.html

First off, this doesn't apply to private schools (most likely), and second, it deals with education records, which could quite possibly be totally different from what we're talking about. I didn't read through that, I just glanced at it, but I doubt it applies.

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Themaddh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:30 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Themaddh wrote:No it's breaking federal law

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco ... rents.html

First off, this doesn't apply to private schools (most likely), and second, it deals with education records, which could quite possibly be totally different from what we're talking about. I didn't read through that, I just glanced at it, but I doubt it applies.


Since these are all accredited institutions that receive federal funding, it absolutely applies to them. Admissions decisions also qualify as education records.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Themaddh wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Themaddh wrote:No it's breaking federal law

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco ... rents.html

First off, this doesn't apply to private schools (most likely), and second, it deals with education records, which could quite possibly be totally different from what we're talking about. I didn't read through that, I just glanced at it, but I doubt it applies.


Since these are all accredited institutions that receive federal funding, it absolutely applies to them. Admissions decisions also qualify as education records.

Does accredited mean they receive federal funding? Also, how do you know admissions decisions qualify as education records?

Also, I really don't give a fuck.

bleepbloop
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby bleepbloop » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 pm

.
Last edited by bleepbloop on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby dakure » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:40 pm

So... historically do RD decisions come the day after ED ones start rolling out?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 pm

dakure wrote:So... historically do RD decisions come the day after ED ones start rolling out?


They historically come before




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Bing [Bot], ellielaw, nimbus cloud, potterotter and 11 guests