NYU Class of 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Post by curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote: She, I believe. And if it is true that NYU is favoring female applicants this year, I think those numbers would get her into an acceptance pile. Then again, I know nothing about the inner workings of adcomms...
:?: source?
Earlier in this thread they discussed it, citing the fact that last year's class is so heavily male. I don't have any hard and fast sources, but if you go back a few pages, you can decide for yourself if you choose to believe it.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 am

JamMasterJ wrote: :?: source?
It was discussed on pg. 24 of this thread, anecdotally.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:25 am

JamMasterJ wrote: :?: source?
We've been low on female students the past few years and admissions people have even said this/made jokes such as "I don't know who let this happen" regarding it. So it's just a theory, but I think there is some evidence to suggest that it might happen.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 am

Congrats to everyone who got in today! Hoping for more (RD!) acceptances tomorrow...

MixedIn

New

Post by MixedIn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:
MixedIn wrote:I received the call as well. Cautious until the envelope arrives, but everything checks out.

Hopefully this will reassure some of you, certainly surprised me:

ED, submitted 11/14
3.4/173 (one time)

Good luck, everyone!
Why caution if you got the call?

A near-bad experience from undergrad admission. Got the call telling me that I was in off of their wait-list, but didn't receive an info packet. 2 or so weeks go by, and I'm getting worried that I had been scammed. Finally realize that I can call the admissions office, and turned out that they had forgot to send the info packet.
So yeah, even with the phonecall with the correct new york area code and number, can't help it until I see that envelope :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 am

curiousgeorgia wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
NervousNelly wrote:
lawschool899 wrote:i may be being neurotic but no mailing address has updated on my status checker. i have not updated at all since i went under review 11/30. i feel like this is a bad sign?? RD. im probably a guaranteed waitlist anyways (171, 3.8x) but id rather be crushed in a few days.

I'm pretty sure you're auto-admit.
No, he's not auto-admit.
She, I believe. And if it is true that NYU is favoring female applicants this year, I think those numbers would get her into an acceptance pile. Then again, I know nothing about the inner workings of adcomms...
My mistake, she* is not an auto-admit. I recall the discussion about why NYU would favor females this year, but I don't see them trying to fix it by "favoring" the fairer sex. I think they would just make sure to admit roughly equal amounts of both sexes. If they know their yield rate (and its remarkable consistency from year to year), this should be relatively easy. Last year's class is only 40% female--seven to ten percent less than what they normally like but not really a cause for concern.

And, even if I am wrong, and they do indeed try to fix this imbalance, that would mean they would seek a class that was 57-60% women as opposed to the usual 47-53%. That would give females a whopping 7%-10% advantage =).

Although...I wouldn't mind spending three years with a class that is disproportionately female :D .

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:52 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
NervousNelly wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're auto-admit.
No, he's not auto-admit.
She, I believe. And if it is true that NYU is favoring female applicants this year, I think those numbers would get her into an acceptance pile. Then again, I know nothing about the inner workings of adcomms...
My mistake, she* is not an auto-admit. I recall the discussion about why NYU would favor females this year, but I don't see them trying to fix it by "favoring" the fairer sex. I think they would just make sure to admit roughly equal amounts of both sexes. If they know their yield rate (and its remarkable consistency from year to year), this should be relatively easy. Last year's class is only 40% female--seven to ten percent less than what they normally like but not really a cause for concern.

And, even if I am wrong, and they do indeed try to fix this imbalance, that would mean they would seek a class that was 57-60% women as opposed to the usual 47-53%. That would give females a whopping 7%-10% advantage =).

Although...I wouldn't mind spending three years with a class that is disproportionately female :D .
Actually I would think that she is close to an auto-admit if she applied ED. NYU had a two-fold problem for the last two years re: female applicants.
1. They don't accept roughly equal amounts of men and women (last year the acceptance ratio was 55/45, M/F).
2. Their yield for female accepted students was lower than their yield for male acceptees. Thus we ended up with an entering class with a 60/40 M/F ratio

ED would provide a great opportunity to stop that second problem, so I bet if anything, we will notice if people with seemingly lower stats get in ED, they are probably women.

That of course shouldn't diminish any female (or male) applicant's accomplishment of getting into NYU. No one gets into NYU that doesn't deserve to go, they are just typically one of the more numbers obsessed schools and thus one of the more predictable ones so it will just be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Last edited by chasgoose on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:03 am

So that's how I got in--my sexually ambiguous first name!

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:17 am

chasgoose wrote:
Actually I would think that she is close to an auto-admit if she applied ED. NYU had a two-fold problem for the last two years re: female applicants.
1. They don't accept roughly equal amounts of men and women (last year the acceptance ratio was 55/45, M/F).
2. Their yield for female accepted students was lower than their yield for male acceptees. Thus we ended up with an entering class with a 60/40 M/F ratio

ED would provide a great opportunity to stop that second problem, so I bet if anything, we will notice if people with seemingly lower stats get in ED, they are probably women.

That of course shouldn't diminish any female (or male) applicant's accomplishment of getting into NYU. No one gets into NYU that doesn't deserve to go, they are just typically one of the more numbers obsessed schools and thus one of the more predictable ones so it will just be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Perhaps "favor" was too strong a word, I just meant that they would be looking for a more even class which might swing some borderline female applicants into the acceptance pile but would not necessarily work against our male counterparts.

Sorry I caused an uproar, maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part (female, avg. numbers)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:37 am

curiousgeorgia wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Perhaps "favor" was too strong a word, I just meant that they would be looking for a more even class which might swing some borderline female applicants into the acceptance pile but would not necessarily work against our male counterparts.

Sorry I caused an uproar, maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part (female, avg. numbers)
Strategically, it seems like it would make the most sense for adcomms to continue admitting students of both genders at the same rate as before (so that they don't lose out on any "strong" candidates). After they have a better sense of how the incoming class is shaping up, they can draw from the waitlist (from which the yield is probably high) to move the class's gender composition in one way or another. Or at least that makes sense to me.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

For those who are already admitted, are any of you having problems logging into ASW? I had access yesterday, but now I can't log in.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:44 am

potl wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Strategically, it seems like it would make the most sense for adcomms to continue admitting students of both genders at the same rate as before (so that they don't lose out on any "strong" candidates). After they have a better sense of how the incoming class is shaping up, they can draw from the waitlist (from which the yield is probably high) to move the class's gender composition in one way or another. Or at least that makes sense to me.
based anecdotally on LSN, I have a feeling that WL/accepts have relatively low yields.

georgia: get what you're saying. As a male splitter, I feel simlarly, just in the opposite direction :lol:

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 am

JamMasterJ wrote: based anecdotally on LSN, I have a feeling that WL/accepts have relatively low yields.
A lower yield than for regular RD admits?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 am

potl wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: based anecdotally on LSN, I have a feeling that WL/accepts have relatively low yields.
A lower yield than for regular RD admits?
it's more a feeling than anything (no research backing this up) but I feel like when people come off the WL, they've already made there decision in many cases. a lot of people getting WLd by NYU are going to get into peers or MVP with money, which seems like it would be tough to leave so late in the cycle.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 pm

RD here, UR since early November. Just had my profile updated in a totally insignificant way... I'm going to choose to read way too much into this. :D

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm

addy11 wrote:RD here, UR since early November. Just had my profile updated in a totally insignificant way... I'm going to choose to read way too much into this. :D
haha mine did that the other day and i freaked out. at least they're doing something with them!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

snehpets wrote:
addy11 wrote:RD here, UR since early November. Just had my profile updated in a totally insignificant way... I'm going to choose to read way too much into this. :D
haha mine did that the other day and i freaked out. at least they're doing something with them!
I've had the NYU status checker open at work the past couple of days (for periodic neurotic refreshing) and it logs me out occasionally. Maybe this is what gets picked up by the status checker app as an update. I don't know what it means, but it makes me a little crazy every time it happens. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 pm

I just got some minor update to my Bio/Address/Demographics. WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Themaddh

Bronze

Post by Themaddh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:I just got some minor update to my Bio/Address/Demographics. WHAT DOES IT MEAN
Same.

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:I just got some minor update to my Bio/Address/Demographics. WHAT DOES IT MEAN
+1 Only my status checker app said there had been a change, but I didn't notice any. My neuroticism is taking over. I just want a purple envelope, please. Kthanxbye.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 pm

same here, my status checker app tells me my postal code's been updated even though I could have sworn it was there already... I'm going to be cautiously optimistic here and say it's a good sign.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:46 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
+1 Only my status checker app said there had been a change, but I didn't notice any. My neuroticism is taking over. I just want a purple envelope, please. Kthanxbye.
When you look on the app under History does it have a listing for today's date? If so, what's under the "Action" column? Mine says remove, 12/5.

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 pm

snehpets wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:
When you look on the app under History does it have a listing for today's date? If so, what's under the "Action" column? Mine says remove, 12/5.
Yup, it has Date-Time: 2011-12-07 10:40 and Action: Remove

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote: Yup, it has Date-Time: 2011-12-07 10:40 and Action: Remove
so curious now! at least we all seem to have relatively good stats, from what i could stalk.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:51 pm

snehpets wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote: Yup, it has Date-Time: 2011-12-07 10:40 and Action: Remove
so curious now! at least we all seem to have relatively good stats, from what i could stalk.
Yep. As someone with auto-reject stats who hasn't updated, it seems like a good sign for you guys. Good luck!

And I love your avatar, Snehpets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”