Anyone get $$ after being accepted off of a waitlist?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eskay2007

Anyone get $$ after being accepted off of a waitlist?

Postby eskay2007 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:34 am

Could not find this thread elsewhere... Has anyone been accepted off of a waitlist recently (after a school's 2nd deposit deadline) and also receive some scholarship $$? I know it's pretty rare this late in the game, so I am curious to see if anyone has lucked out. If you have, mind sharing what school, your numbers, amount of $$, and any other useful details like when you sent LOCI and how many, any other awards you used to negotiate, etc.

Thanks

JamMasterJ

Re: Anyone get $$ after being accepted off of a waitlist?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

9K at NDLS

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Vandy has been giving money with waitlist offers. Michigan might be as well but I'm not sure.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:14 pm

18k at UMN, 15k at CU-B

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:24 pm

60k at duke. Others have received money off the WL as well.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 pm

60k @ BC

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm

bk1 wrote:Vandy has been giving money with waitlist offers. Michigan might be as well but I'm not sure.

Michigan has been giving scholarship offers off the WL, and good ones at that. A poster here got $67,500 off the WL recently.

canes

Postby canes » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Last edited by canes on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:39 am

20K a year from UIUC. Got the email yesterday, can't really say no.

huttom84

Postby huttom84 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:10 pm

15k and instate from wisconsin

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 pm

75k at BU and 54k at Vandy.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:37 pm

(after some negotiating) 48k @ BC and 45k + 10k housing stipend (1sy yr) @ BU. I really don't think $$ off the waitlist is the elusive unicorn everyone makes it out to be. I certainly don't think anyone should count on it (shouldn't count on getting off a waitlist period) but some schools are willing to throw out some cash for numbers that round out their stats near the end.

*edit* I also showed up at both of these schools and was pulled off both waitlists within two weeks. I presented a supplementary letter of recommendation to both and made an appointment with an "admissions counselor" (who turned out to be the admissions dean) at one of them to make the sale. I suggest not hiding personal reasons for wanting to attend (boyfriend, family, etc). I was hesitant to mention the boyfriend issue but spoke to someone else who mentioned an SO as a factor, and she also was admitted. That's 2/2--so you should probably create a fictional bf/gf in your target school's city if you really want to get in (joking...maybe). I wasn't harass-y at all and actually didn't send one of my LOCI's until right before second deposit. Don't want to shout out my numbers since I'm pretty sure this info will already out me to some folks, but I was a splitter with both #s outside 25th-75th.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:54 pm

loblaw wrote:(after some negotiating) 48k @ BC and 45k + 10k housing stipend (1sy yr) @ BU. I really don't think $$ off the waitlist is the elusive unicorn everyone makes it out to be. I certainly don't think anyone should count on it (shouldn't count on getting off a waitlist period) but some schools are willing to throw out some cash for numbers that round out their stats near the end.

It just doesn't make sense (to me anyway) that a school finds an applicant not good enough for even an acceptance letter but then changes its mind to "accepted with money". I know it happens. not disputing that. Is it typically applicants who applied way too late that get these type of offers?

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:00 pm

rcweedman wrote:
loblaw wrote:(after some negotiating) 48k @ BC and 45k + 10k housing stipend (1sy yr) @ BU. I really don't think $$ off the waitlist is the elusive unicorn everyone makes it out to be. I certainly don't think anyone should count on it (shouldn't count on getting off a waitlist period) but some schools are willing to throw out some cash for numbers that round out their stats near the end.

It just doesn't make sense (to me anyway) that a school finds an applicant not good enough for even an acceptance letter but then changes its mind to "accepted with money". I know it happens. not disputing that. Is it typically applicants who applied way too late that get these type of offers?

I really think it depends on the numbers of those that don't make their second deposit and for what they need to compensate (LSAT vs GPA). Someone who didn't look good before because they already had enough high lsats/high gpas/NA olympic wrestlers, whatever, suddenly looks great because someone who filled that space/rounded out the numbers chose a different school. It's also a good way of really locking someone down--as much as we don't like having to chill on the waitlist, they don't like having to use late in the summer. It reduces the chance that the waitlister will flake.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 pm

rcweedman wrote:

I got in at duke with money. I am a splitter and they like high gpas. I am sure they had someone drop and needed me to keep their LSAT median. I got the money I think mostly cause I told them about the money I had from michigan and that I would attend if the money was right. I told them I had a around a 40% scholarship at mich and I got exactly 40% from duke. I think they give some people money to get them to switch schools or to ensure they accept. I also think most people who drop out and open a space for someone on the WL typically had money there initially (better numbers, went some place better off another WL) so this frees up money. I would think they have a certain amount of scholly money to use each year and they always use all of it because of the USNWR consideration of spending per student. So instead of going back and giving it to the people already locked down. They might as well spend it trying to improve their yield by offering it to WL admits.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”