Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Cornelius » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:Thou shall split :)

So far I have applied to HS, MVP, CCN, Cornell, UCLA, berk, usc, wustl, UT, Northwestern, Vandy.
I'm a 177+ 3.2+ AA male with work experience. Any recommendations on where else I should apply?

I think you're pretty set unless there's a specific school you're interested in/you want to hit the rest of the T14 (Duke, GULC).

Want_My_Life_Back
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Want_My_Life_Back » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm

2.5 / 174
4 years finance & big law WE in NYC (5 when I matriculate)
Good LoRs (NU specific included)

Hail Marry Pass to NU ED for the win

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Want_My_Life_Back wrote:2.5 / 174
4 years finance & big law WE in NYC (5 when I matriculate)
Good LoRs (NU specific included)

Hail Marry Pass to NU ED for the win

Oh sup. You have a LSN? We're very similar (I'm 2.8/176), we should follow each other's cycles. Hopefully we're classmates next fall :D

Want_My_Life_Back
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Want_My_Life_Back » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:16 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Want_My_Life_Back wrote:2.5 / 174
4 years finance & big law WE in NYC (5 when I matriculate)
Good LoRs (NU specific included)

Hail Marry Pass to NU ED for the win

Oh sup. You have a LSN? We're very similar (I'm 2.8/176), we should follow each other's cycles. Hopefully we're classmates next fall :D


No, but I should probably set one up. Just had my interview Monday, gorgeous weather. I tried to bribe them with an offer to covert from a Yankee loving thin crust guy to a deep dish eating acolyte of Ditka. And yes, I would like nothing more than to be classmates next fall. I'll let you know how it turns out.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:22 pm

Want_My_Life_Back wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Want_My_Life_Back wrote:2.5 / 174
4 years finance & big law WE in NYC (5 when I matriculate)
Good LoRs (NU specific included)
Hail Marry Pass to NU ED for the win

Oh sup. You have a LSN? We're very similar (I'm 2.8/176), we should follow each other's cycles. Hopefully we're classmates next fall :D

No, but I should probably set one up. Just had my interview Monday, gorgeous weather. I tried to bribe them with an offer to covert from a Yankee loving thin crust guy to a deep dish eating acolyte of Ditka. And yes, I would like nothing more than to be classmates next fall. I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you set one up, let me know. I'm under a different username on LSN. I had my interview a few weeks ago. BTW, if you haven't already, come here --

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162897

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Checking in here!

16x/3.9x URM. a serious reverse splitter but I'm taking some wild chances and applying to pretty much everywhere!
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:35 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:i was okay with my LSAT but this site has made me regret not re-taking and now my brains just too rusty and all the apps are out.. so i'm going to have to just stick with that!

You should srsly retake! With a 168 you could be looking at a T6...with your current scores unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen ):

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:41 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:i was okay with my LSAT but this site has made me regret not re-taking and now my brains just too rusty and all the apps are out.. so i'm going to have to just stick with that!

You should srsly retake! With a 168 you could be looking at a T6...with your current scores unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen ):


But realistically I've already sent all my apps out, I dont think they'll be waiting till dec to review anyway, so I dont know if there's really a point. It might help when it comes to scholarship considerations but thats assuming i get in in the first place. that being said last year i got into Columbia and WL at Harvard even though I applied late Feb so I'm hoping i still have a chance!

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:54 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:i was okay with my LSAT but this site has made me regret not re-taking and now my brains just too rusty and all the apps are out.. so i'm going to have to just stick with that!

You should srsly retake! With a 168 you could be looking at a T6...with your current scores unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen ):


But realistically I've already sent all my apps out, I dont think they'll be waiting till dec to review anyway, so I dont know if there's really a point. It might help when it comes to scholarship considerations but thats assuming i get in in the first place. that being said last year i got into Columbia and WL at Harvard even though I applied late Feb so I'm hoping i still have a chance!

Ohhh I didn't see you were URM. That changes things completely, since most schools give reverse splitter URMs a huuuge boost. Good luck on your cycle then!

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:i was okay with my LSAT but this site has made me regret not re-taking and now my brains just too rusty and all the apps are out.. so i'm going to have to just stick with that!

You should srsly retake! With a 168 you could be looking at a T6...with your current scores unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen ):


But realistically I've already sent all my apps out, I dont think they'll be waiting till dec to review anyway, so I dont know if there's really a point. It might help when it comes to scholarship considerations but thats assuming i get in in the first place. that being said last year i got into Columbia and WL at Harvard even though I applied late Feb so I'm hoping i still have a chance!

Ohhh I didn't see you were URM. That changes things completely, since most schools give reverse splitter URMs a huuuge boost. Good luck on your cycle then!


Haha, Im glad! Im hoping that its a good cycle indeed! Best of luck to you also!

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby chasgoose » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 am

semicollante wrote:Hi! After getting my scores back yesterday, I'm officially a splitter. :)
172 (up from 167 in June)/3.29 GPA
I'm a non traditional applicant. I had to work all through college for 40+ hrs a week tutoring others to pay off my subsidized tuition and to pay off some family debts (long story short, my originally well off family went bankrupt when I was 8 or 9, got screwed over by some bad lawyers during the process, and got into a lot of debt, which is also partly why I want to become a lawyer).
I have a grad degree with 3.63 GPA, though I know it's not going to be that relevant.
My absolute dream schools are NYU and Columbia, because I'm in NYC now, and my fiancé also works here. It's not impossible to relocate, but just not preferred. Do I have a shot at either of those schools? Which one should I ED at?
Another thing I'm thinking of is to retake in December. I was getting an average of 178 on PTs, so I could do better, but then I would be applying late. Assuming I can get a 178 in Dec (not at all guaranteed, but assume for the sake of argument), and applied when I get my score, would I have more chance of getting in NYU and Columbia than if I applied with my stats now?
Also, how do you guys get the fee waivers? Thank you for your advice, everyone!


NYU/CLS are particularly friendly to Dec. LSAT takers. CLS doesn't start sending out RD decisions until the end of Jan. and they include Dec. LSAT takers in the first wave. NYU starts a bit sooner, but you are still on the early side if you apply right after your scores come.

hdsoc
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hdsoc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:52 pm

chasgoose wrote:
semicollante wrote:Hi! After getting my scores back yesterday, I'm officially a splitter. :)
172 (up from 167 in June)/3.29 GPA
I'm a non traditional applicant. I had to work all through college for 40+ hrs a week tutoring others to pay off my subsidized tuition and to pay off some family debts (long story short, my originally well off family went bankrupt when I was 8 or 9, got screwed over by some bad lawyers during the process, and got into a lot of debt, which is also partly why I want to become a lawyer).
I have a grad degree with 3.63 GPA, though I know it's not going to be that relevant.
My absolute dream schools are NYU and Columbia, because I'm in NYC now, and my fiancé also works here. It's not impossible to relocate, but just not preferred. Do I have a shot at either of those schools? Which one should I ED at?
Another thing I'm thinking of is to retake in December. I was getting an average of 178 on PTs, so I could do better, but then I would be applying late. Assuming I can get a 178 in Dec (not at all guaranteed, but assume for the sake of argument), and applied when I get my score, would I have more chance of getting in NYU and Columbia than if I applied with my stats now?
Also, how do you guys get the fee waivers? Thank you for your advice, everyone!


NYU/CLS are particularly friendly to Dec. LSAT takers. CLS doesn't start sending out RD decisions until the end of Jan. and they include Dec. LSAT takers in the first wave. NYU starts a bit sooner, but you are still on the early side if you apply right after your scores come.


If you can break 175, it might be worth it. I have similar scores and a similar situation. I applied ED at NYU but I don't really think I have a shot. If I had any time to study for the December test I would. Looking at LSN it seems like the schools are only willing to dip below 3.5 for a 175+. Good luck though; who knows, maybe we'll both get lucky.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Are y'all on LSN? I want to follow your cycles and see how everyone does! :mrgreen:

the_phoenix612
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby the_phoenix612 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 am

177/3.65. Is my GPA low enough to be considered a splitter? Anyways, the list:

T14 minus Penn, plus UHouston and SMU. Duke owes me a decision by the 28th (PT) but UTexas hasn't even sent me a status checker despite getting an "app received" on the 12th. Oh, overexaggerated misery!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am

.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby masked kavana » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Was sending applications in early November too late for a splitter?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:38 pm

masked kavana wrote:Was sending applications in early November too late for a splitter?


No

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:39 pm

masked kavana wrote:Was sending applications in early November too late for a splitter?

I don't think so. I took the Oct LSAT and sent all of mine Oct 25-Nov 2.

User avatar
outsidethescope
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby outsidethescope » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Want_My_Life_Back wrote:2.5 / 174
4 years finance & big law WE in NYC (5 when I matriculate)
Good LoRs (NU specific included)

Hail Marry Pass to NU ED for the win


Good luck!!!

Please set up a LSN account. My SO (super splitter, URM, lots of WE) is applying next season, so I am semi-stalking/praying all of you get into great schools. Wooo!

User avatar
sasuke
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:17 am

Good news anyone? I predict that I won't hear anything until late December despite the fact that I sent out all of my applications by mid-October.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ucbkenn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:31 am

3.27/160/172

I got into GW this weekend. It was earlier than expected and a bit of a reach for me. Go splitters!

User avatar
sasuke
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 am

ucbkenn wrote:3.27/160/172

I got into GW this weekend. It was earlier than expected and a bit of a reach for me. Go splitters!

Congrats!

the_phoenix612
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby the_phoenix612 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 pm

3.65/177

Got into Duke on Priority Review, but not for this upcoming entry year. They admitted me to the Class of '16.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 pm

3.54/166,166,176

ED Chicago, and RD to H, C, N, MVP, D, N

hdsoc
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hdsoc » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

173, 3.3, Accepted into Georgetown and Michigan thus far. Crossing my fingers for NYU or UPenn.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brinicolec, lawnerd87, Long shot hero, mike90018, Purple Post It Note and 17 guests