How do schools order waitlists?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brownpride

How do schools order waitlists?

Postby brownpride » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Couldn't find an answer to this when browsing the forums, so forgive me if it's been asked before.

How do schools arrange the applicants on their waitlists? Is it in the order of the applications submitted, or in order of how much they like the applications? (For example if one applied in September with a 3.8/170 and was waitlisted, and someone else applied in November with a 3.9/172 and was also waitlisted, would the former or the latter be the first to be accepted off a waitlist?)

justhockey31

Re: How do schools order waitlists?

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Some schools will place waitlisted applicants into different groups (think priority vs special priority), others will rank them based on how much they like them while others will just put them all in a pile and when the school begins the process of admitting waitlisted students they will review all those applications again. The best way to find out is to just ask the school about their waitlist process

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Some schools will place waitlisted applicants into different groups (think priority vs special priority), others will rank them based on how much they like them while others will just put them all in a pile and when the school begins the process of admitting waitlisted students they will review all those applications again. The best way to find out is to just ask the school about their waitlist process

Yeah and even for those who group it doesn't mean all that much. I got into duke from the regular waitlist not the priority WL. I doubt they offered everyone on the priority reserve list a spot before they decided to take me. I think the truth is that schools take people off the WL for a specific purpose such as a splitter to sure up their LSAT median, a URM if they have their medians firmly set and want to add diversity and so on...

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:30 pm

a lot of schools claim their waitlist is unranked...who actually believes this? They know who they want, or at least what numbers they want. When you're on the WL it's pretty much a numbers game until their quota is reached.

reepS

Postby reepS » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:38 pm

jstubbs wrote:a lot of schools claim their waitlist is unranked...who actually believes this? They know who they want, or at least what numbers they want. When you're on the WL it's pretty much a numbers game until their quota is reached.

I think they have a list of URM's, a list of splitters with high LSAT, and a list of splitters with high GPA. I think they use these list to balance one another out to keep mediums high and increase URM's.

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks for your responses. So how do LOCIs help then? Are they actually influential, or do they not really matter - the school will only take you if/when they want to?

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm

brownpride wrote:Thanks for your responses. So how do LOCIs help then? Are they actually influential, or do they not really matter - the school will only take you if/when they want to?

Its tough to tell...take myself for an example: I got in to two schools off their wait list (probably more but I told them I wasn't interested when I get that "if ur interested we will admit u" email), one of the schools I never wrote to or contacted in any way while the other I wrote multiple LOCIs to. I would say a LOCI helps but it will not overcome ur numbers. If it comes down to two people with the same numbers they will go with the person who has shown interest. However, it is doubtful a LOCI will bump you over another person with better numbers.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm

brownpride wrote:Thanks for your responses. So how do LOCIs help then? Are they actually influential, or do they not really matter - the school will only take you if/when they want to?

I don't think they strictly rank but they probably have separate categories for different things they need (e.g. they have a list for splitters, a list for reverse splitters, a list for URMs, etc), so that they can replace someone who withdraws with someone who is similar (e.g. if a splitter withdraws then they can pick up another splitter).

The thing about LOCIs is that schools really want optimal applicants but the longer they wait the less likely they will be of snapping up those applicants. So if a school needs a splitter, and they have 3 people to choose from (3.5/170/noloci, 3.3/170/loci, 2.9/170/loci) they might take the 3.3/170/loci over the 3.5/170noloci because they realize that they might offer the 3.5/170 first, get a no, offer to the 3.3/170 and get a no because that person got snapped up elsewhere, and then have to settle for the 2.9/170. Schools like to get their class settled and LOCIs tell them which people are sincere about attending and are likely to attend if offered a spot off the waitlist.

A LOCI isn't a guarantee or anything but you might as well send it to express interest in a school. Adcomms like those who are interested in their school even if it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a huge bump or anything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”