Acceptance + Wait list. 2nd guess my decision for free!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Good decision?

I agree
25%
I disagree, should have gone to WVU
25%
I disagree, should have gone to Ark
13%
I disagree, should have gone to McGeorge
13%
Undecided
25%

Total votes: 8

Born4CrimDefense

Acceptance + Wait list. 2nd guess my decision for free!

Postby Born4CrimDefense » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi all! Congrats on being accepted!

I'm Chris. applied to (T-100) University of Pacific McGeorge, West Virginia University, University of Maryland and University of Arkansas. I was accepted to all except Maryland. There I was wait listed where I currently sit. During the accepted students visit to University of Baltimore (127 in latest rankings) the new dean assured us that before we graduate U of Balt's law program WILL BE T-100 or T-80 even. I am from Maryland and plan on taking the Maryland Bar Exam as well as practicing exclusively in Maryland and DC. I decided to attend University of Baltimore based on the dean's promise (and I mean PROMISE, not probability, he promised!).
My reasoning being McGeorge is locally ok, but strictly within Sacramento where I do not plan to practice. Arkansas is the same story, except I believe Bill Clinton does still give lectures from time to time as a guest. I loved my visit to WVU, they are currently T-100, and rising I believe. The town was awesome, but I have a fiance` here in Maryland who would be 3 hours away, and we've lived together for the last 6 years so that would be an adjustment to my life if not a total shock.

So I decided on Baltimore because if I do get accepted from Maryalnd's wait list then there are no adjustments I have to make to my life other than those I would make to attend Baltimore. That means if I am accepted to Maryland I don't have to make last second plans for habitation, commute or the other unforeseen circumstances. It is literally 1.5 miles from U Balt. I plan on moving from just outside DC (Bethesda) to a town between DC and Baltimore called Savage-Guilford so that my fiance`s commute and mine will be about 25 minutes each. This way I can plan on graduating from a T-100 school (if the dean isn't lying) and not adjust my life that much while still keeping open the possibility of going to a T-1 (T-50) school if a seat opens up!
Please weigh in and tell me what you think.
Are you in similar position? What action did you take?

-Born4CrimDefense
Pre-1L

bk1

Re: Acceptance + Wait list. 2nd guess my decision for free!

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Law schools are regional so the rankings don't matter. In Maryland, UMd >UBalt > McGeorge/WVU/Arkansas. And the rankings just don't matter generally. Are employers going to be more willing to hire you in 3 years because UBalt cracked the top 100? No, of course they wouldn't that would be absurd.

That being said, UMd is much better school than UBalt and if I were you I would readily consider retaking the LSAT and reapplying to get into UMd since you want to work in Maryland. Take look at their stats here:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

iamnooneelse

Postby iamnooneelse » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:52 pm

I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about the schools in question here. But one thing I will say is please, please, PLEASE do not proceed based on an empty promise from a dean who probably has very little control over what the school will be ranked in a few years. Not to mention, when you're dealing with regional schools, the rankings don't mean much.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Retake & reapply, or reassess.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 am

Do you have a scholarship from Baltimore? So far, if not going at all is off the table, I think you're making the right choice. I'm not totally convinced UMD is worth much additional debt. You need to think seriously about whether Baltimore is worth the debt you will require to attend, though. Seriously.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:03 am

Born4CrimDefense wrote: During the accepted students visit to University of Baltimore (127 in latest rankings) the new dean assured us that before we graduate U of Balt's law program WILL BE T-100 or T-80 even.

I'm from MD and I know plenty of people that attend UBalt. Trust me when I say that I wouldn't bank on it, at least as it stands right now. Most grads can't find too much in the way of hiring outside Baltimore and the large class size is making it more and more competitive each year. If you like UBalt and wanna be in Baltimore, then it isn't a bad decision if you aren't paying sticker. I wouldn't attend just because the Dean made a guarantee, though.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Headline: UBalt slips to 290 in 2013 USNWR:

OP:"But he PROMISED!!!!!!1111one"

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 pm

I think you made a big mistake, but good luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Your primary reason for enrolling at Baltimore--the Dean's promise re: USNews rankings--is ridiculous. Hopefully you have better reasons to attend.

P.S. I too can promise that the Univ. of Baltimore will be among the top 100 law schools in Maryland.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Born4CrimDefense wrote:I loved my visit to WVU, they are currently T-100, and rising I believe.

WVU is 93rd this year.

/alma mater white knighting

swords

Postby swords » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Not to bring this out from the dead, but thought I'd share that Dean Closius resigned yesterday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/ne ... f-law.html

But he was a great Dean. Fired for questioning tuition hikes. sad

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”