Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby tyro » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 am

x7227 wrote:I dunno who made fun of lawapp. OP asked a question, we answered it. OP doubled/tripled down on the original "unethical" claims (Proving OP wasn't genuinely asking a question if the answer he/she was looking for was already pre-determined). OP was just looking for sympathy (which many of us gave...at first...) and after the OP doubled down, most of us slammed him/her for being sensationalist. Telling someone they're completely and utterly wrong isn't the same thing as making fun of them. Unless that is what our society has come to, in which case I don't want to live on this planet anymore.


It just seems like some people on here always post in a snarky tone which seems kind of distasteful.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby bigjinjapan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 am

tyro wrote:
x7227 wrote:I dunno who made fun of lawapp. OP asked a question, we answered it. OP doubled/tripled down on the original "unethical" claims (Proving OP wasn't genuinely asking a question if the answer he/she was looking for was already pre-determined). OP was just looking for sympathy (which many of us gave...at first...) and after the OP doubled down, most of us slammed him/her for being sensationalist. Telling someone they're completely and utterly wrong isn't the same thing as making fun of them. Unless that is what our society has come to, in which case I don't want to live on this planet anymore.


It just seems like some people on here always post in a snarky tone which seems kind of distasteful.


Welcome to the internet.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 am

PDaddy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It is retardedly easy to get into law school. You basically apply to one school and BCC 15 more.



The people who take the above suggested approach do not gain admission to a bevy of law schools.


Or.... they do.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 am

tyro wrote:
x7227 wrote:I dunno who made fun of lawapp. OP asked a question, we answered it. OP doubled/tripled down on the original "unethical" claims (Proving OP wasn't genuinely asking a question if the answer he/she was looking for was already pre-determined). OP was just looking for sympathy (which many of us gave...at first...) and after the OP doubled down, most of us slammed him/her for being sensationalist. Telling someone they're completely and utterly wrong isn't the same thing as making fun of them. Unless that is what our society has come to, in which case I don't want to live on this planet anymore.


It just seems like some people on here always post in a snarky tone which seems kind of distasteful.


That's what makes the site entertaining. What would be the point of reading the 20 millionth 'should I go to a TTT at sticker' thread if DF or someone wasn't there to make fun of it?

User avatar
wileyman02
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby wileyman02 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:18 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
tyro wrote:
x7227 wrote:I dunno who made fun of lawapp. OP asked a question, we answered it. OP doubled/tripled down on the original "unethical" claims (Proving OP wasn't genuinely asking a question if the answer he/she was looking for was already pre-determined). OP was just looking for sympathy (which many of us gave...at first...) and after the OP doubled down, most of us slammed him/her for being sensationalist. Telling someone they're completely and utterly wrong isn't the same thing as making fun of them. Unless that is what our society has come to, in which case I don't want to live on this planet anymore.


It just seems like some people on here always post in a snarky tone which seems kind of distasteful.


That's what makes the site entertaining. What would be the point of reading the 20 millionth 'should I go to a TTT at sticker' thread if DF or someone wasn't there to make fun of it?


The most entertaining thing about this thread is that the OP brought all of this on himself after being duped by a flamer. BONNNNG.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:10 am

ITT: Insanely stupid argument from the OP, scorn and derision from all sides, long-winded attempts by OP at defending the stupid argument, a few random morons chiming in to support OP's position, polished off with a patently false statement thrown in from left field by one of the biggest assclowns on TLS (lol @ "bevy").

I'd say this has been a pretty solid thread.

User avatar
PresMacAllen
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby PresMacAllen » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 pm

What's up with all the hostility from the folks who are answering this thread? All that was needed was a,"yeah, it sucks what case-western is doing, but that's just the way it is... sorry," instead of folks belittling and attacking the OP; just plain rude. :shock:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that they'd admit rejected applicants. Sorry, I hope you make it into another school.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 pm

i think the OP is putting too much blame on Case Western, and not enough on Israel. JNE would clearly throw a youtube video on here of some Jews blowing a shofar during their new year, which is somehow related to vo-dooing OP at case western. clearly, it is israel and not OP's LSAT score.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:35 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:i think the OP is putting too much blame on Case Western, and not enough on Israel. JNE would clearly throw a youtube video on here of some Jews blowing a shofar during their new year, which is somehow related to vo-dooing OP at case western. clearly, it is israel and not OP's LSAT score.

who are you?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 pm

PresMacAllen wrote:What's up with all the hostility from the folks who are answering this thread? All that was needed was a,"yeah, it sucks what case-western is doing, but that's just the way it is... sorry," instead of folks belittling and attacking the OP; just plain rude. :shock:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that they'd admit rejected applicants. Sorry, I hope you make it into another school.



Image

User avatar
singingkris
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby singingkris » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 am

PresMacAllen wrote:What's up with all the hostility from the folks who are answering this thread? All that was needed was a,"yeah, it sucks what case-western is doing, but that's just the way it is... sorry," instead of folks belittling and attacking the OP; just plain rude. :shock:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that they'd admit rejected applicants. Sorry, I hope you make it into another school.

+1 to all the future advocates of our justice system. Saddening to see how awful people can be. What diplomacy?

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 am

The problem is the language OP used. In the professional and especially legal world, 'unethical' is a charge that ends careers, and shouldn't be bandied about too lightly. No one would disagree that CW is being pretty shitty and that OP's situation sucks, bites, blows whatever. But take this as an abject lesson to carry into law school: be careful of your language. Things you may have gotten away with in UG will not fly.

User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby JoeFish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 am

Although this may be a little silly in the other direction, I kind of felt the exact opposite of the OP in one regard: The second I got WLed at some schools (a T10, a T20, and a bunch of T30s) my reaction was to thank them for their interest and withdraw my app that day, because I didn't want to go to a school that would only let me in through the back door, probably with very little $. Now, sure, some people have a dream school, or didn't get a single acceptance (are there people like that?), and so, then, the WL becomes more important, yes. But to say that being on the waitlist should mean that the school is still interested in you seems like you're asking for a bit too much. The interest they have probably has more to do with your money or URM status or something else you can give them

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 pm

JoeFish wrote:Although this may be a little silly in the other direction, I kind of felt the exact opposite of the OP in one regard: The second I got WLed at some schools (a T10, a T20, and a bunch of T30s) my reaction was to thank them for their interest and withdraw my app that day, because I didn't want to go to a school that would only let me in through the back door, probably with very little $. Now, sure, some people have a dream school, or didn't get a single acceptance (are there people like that?), and so, then, the WL becomes more important, yes. But to say that being on the waitlist should mean that the school is still interested in you seems like you're asking for a bit too much. The interest they have probably has more to do with your money or URM status or something else you can give them


I also find that italics are great at emphasizing my points for clarity.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby tyro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:55 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:The problem is the language OP used. In the professional and especially legal world, 'unethical' is a charge that ends careers, and shouldn't be bandied about too lightly. No one would disagree that CW is being pretty shitty and that OP is kind of a doofus. But take this as an abject lesson to carry into law school: be careful of your language. Things you may have gotten away with in UG will not fly.


That's really unethical of you to call him that.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby bigjinjapan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 pm

tyro wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:The problem is the language OP used. In the professional and especially legal world, 'unethical' is a charge that ends careers, and shouldn't be bandied about too lightly. No one would disagree that CW is being pretty shitty and that OP is kind of a doofus. But take this as an abject lesson to carry into law school: be careful of your language. Things you may have gotten away with in UG will not fly.


That's really unethical of you to call him that.


Libel!

User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby JoeFish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 pm

sundance95 wrote:I also find that italics are great at emphasizing my points for clarity.


Well duh that's why I used them

WarioLaw
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby WarioLaw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 am

JoeFish wrote:The interest they have probably has more to do with your money or URM status or something else you can give them


What does that have to do with anything? Those (and other) factors are what drives law schools' interest in every candidate. Of course the school is interested in what you can give them. Do you really think it works some other way? It's money, numbers, diversity, experience, etc. Whether you get admitted immediately or eventually off of a waitlist does not really say anything about a school's motives. A waitlist simply means you were not as strong a candidate (in their eyes) as those offered admission.

Any other view of the admission process is naive. It is certainly anyone's prerogative to withdraw from waitlists. However, I did not view waitlists as being indicative of a school wanting to take advantage of me. Now I am planning to attend a school that let me in off of their waitlist with a nice offer to boot.

User avatar
Paste_Me
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby Paste_Me » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 pm

I tried to bring this up in the other Case Western thread but didn't get any responses. I wanted to know if everyone on the wait list received an email asking them to confirm their interest in still attending.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am

The rudeness on the thread is completely unnecessary. If I were in OP's position I would consider writing a letter to the Dean of the Law school (not Dean of Admissions) and to several members of the Board of Trustees at Case Western when this cycle is completed. It won't help you or your cycle but they may apppreciate being aware your concerns and most likely will inquire from the Dean of admissions as to why they are rejecting people (and not waitlisting them) only to have to go back to them at a later date and then ignoring people on the established waitlist. Just because admissions is doing this doesnt mean the administration is aware or condoning these practices. At the least, the practice OP described is a failure of the Admissions office in their selection of candidates.

Sorry this happened to you.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Emma1 wrote:The rudeness on the thread is completely unnecessary. If I were in OP's position I would consider writing a letter to the Dean of the Law school (not Dean of Admissions) and to several members of the Board of Trustees at Case Western when this cycle is completed. It won't help you or your cycle but they may apppreciate being aware your concerns and most likely will inquire from the Dean of admissions as to why they are rejecting people (and not waitlisting them) only to have to go back to them at a later date and then ignoring people on the established waitlist. Just because admissions is doing this doesnt mean the administration is aware or condoning these practices. At the least, the practice OP described is a failure of the Admissions office in their selection of candidates.

Sorry this happened to you.


Or OP can just getthefuckoverit

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Emma1 wrote:The rudeness on the thread is completely unnecessary. If I were in OP's position I would consider writing a letter to the Dean of the Law school (not Dean of Admissions) and to several members of the Board of Trustees at Case Western when this cycle is completed. It won't help you or your cycle but they may apppreciate being aware your concerns and most likely will inquire from the Dean of admissions as to why they are rejecting people (and not waitlisting them) only to have to go back to them at a later date and then ignoring people on the established waitlist. Just because admissions is doing this doesnt mean the administration is aware or condoning these practices. At the least, the practice OP described is a failure of the Admissions office in their selection of candidates.

Sorry this happened to you.


Or OP can just getthefuckoverit


Or not.....

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby tyro » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Emma1 wrote:Just because admissions is doing this doesnt mean the administration is aware or condoning these practices.


I'm thinking they would probably be aware of it.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Actually Board of Trustees are usually in the dark on these kind of things. They don't usually get involved in the day to day activities. However when they get phone calls or mail making them aware of issues they usually follow through and want answers from the the Dean of the school. They are usually very protective of the school's reputation.

jayman6
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Unethical Admission Practices at Case Western

Postby jayman6 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 pm

.
Last edited by jayman6 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests