University of Richmond vs. Howard University

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

University of Richmond or Howard University

Poll ended at Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 am

University of Richmond
45%
Howard University
55%

Total votes: 11

WillUsee

University of Richmond vs. Howard University

Postby WillUsee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:08 am

I was accepted to both University of Richmond and Howard University, concentration in Criminal Law, Public Interest.. I need some help deciding which would be the better choice. UR is a higher ranking school but way more money. Also I live in No. VA so if I go to Howard, no need to relocate. Is the $$ worth going to a second tier school?

No money from either school, so scholarship offering isn't an issue.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

NYC Law

Re: University of Richmond vs. Howard University

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:10 am

Are you a URM?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 am

It's hard to compare your chances of getting a good job.

If you are in the top 20% at Howard, you will be fine.

It's unclear what rank you need to be at Richmond for similar prospects. Try to get in contact with current URMs and recent URM graduates from Richmond before making a decision.

Aside from the good job prospects, decide if you would rather be in VA or DC. Neither are great choices.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Aside from the good job prospects, decide if you would rather be in VA or DC. Neither are great choices.

I resent that.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 am

I'm personally against going to Howard Law (went there for undergrad and it was HELL) but if I had to choose between the two there would be no way I'd go to Richmond.

saandy

Postby saandy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am

mimi82 wrote:I'm personally against going to Howard Law (went there for undergrad and it was HELL) but if I had to choose between the two there would be no way I'd go to Richmond.

what's wrong with richmond?

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm

saandy wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I'm personally against going to Howard Law (went there for undergrad and it was HELL) but if I had to choose between the two there would be no way I'd go to Richmond.

what's wrong with richmond?

IDK much about the school but I know I would not want to live there. I visit every year for an event and I really don't care much for the area. Compared to DC its a drag. :shock: And even though Howard isn't high on the rankings its still high with employment and DC is great for employment.

WillUsee

Postby WillUsee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 pm

NYC Law wrote:Are you a URM?

I am URM. I plan to practice in Northern Virginia

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm

mimi82 wrote:I visit every year for an event and I really don't care much for the area. Compared to DC its a drag.

Where do you go for your event? Somewhere in the suburbs, or actually in the city? Do you know much about the city at all, or just what you see when you're driving in and then driving out?

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Bumi wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I visit every year for an event and I really don't care much for the area. Compared to DC its a drag.

Where do you go for your event? Somewhere in the suburbs, or actually in the city? Do you know much about the city at all, or just what you see when you're driving in and then driving out?

Not sure that makes much of a difference. Its at the coliseum. But either way when comparing Richmond to DC I don't see how Richmond competes.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:41 pm

If you want to work in VA, maybe Richmond. Anywhere else, and Howard would be better.

Do you have any better options?

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 pm

If you are a URM, definitely do Howard. It has great placement because of the recruitment of URMs from there.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:23 pm

mimi82 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Not sure that makes much of a difference. Its at the coliseum. But either way when comparing Richmond to DC I don't see how Richmond competes.

So yeah, the coliseum area is a pretty crappy area. If you drive down and park there and then leave, you don't know Richmond. It's like judging DC from the area around RFK. Also, it couldn't be more different from the area where UR is.

You can't compare the cities so absolutely. It depends on what you want. I don't know very many people who live in Richmond who would rather live in the DC area, and in fact most people here would MUCH rather be in Richmond and say so. Cost of living is much cheaper, there isn't any traffic, but you're close enough to DC that you can go up there for a night if you want (which I did last week). I know someone who works in DC but lives in Richmond so he doesn't have to live there. Hell, the company I work for has locations in both places, and there's no surge in people trying to transfer to DC.

If you've already decided that you prefer DC, then great, enjoy Howard. But it's kind of ridiculous for you to say that Richmond can't compete. They're just different.

Champion of the Sun

Postby Champion of the Sun » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Bumi wrote:
mimi82 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

So yeah, the coliseum area is a pretty crappy area. If you drive down and park there and then leave, you don't know Richmond. It's like judging DC from the area around RFK. Also, it couldn't be more different from the area where UR is.

You can't compare the cities so absolutely. It depends on what you want. I don't know very many people who live in Richmond who would rather live in the DC area, and in fact most people here would MUCH rather be in Richmond and say so. Cost of living is much cheaper, there isn't any traffic, but you're close enough to DC that you can go up there for a night if you want (which I did last week). I know someone who works in DC but lives in Richmond so he doesn't have to live there. Hell, the company I work for has locations in both places, and there's no surge in people trying to transfer to DC.

If you've already decided that you prefer DC, then great, enjoy Howard. But it's kind of ridiculous for you to say that Richmond can't compete. They're just different.

I'm on the waitlist for Richmond and probably won't get but I'm from NO.VA and I would much rather be in Richmond than up here. I grew up in No.VA and had to move back after undergrad but for the 3 years that I lived in Richmond while going to VCU I absolutly loved it. I loved the cheap rent in Henrico Co. I loved the fact that it only took me 10 minutes or less to drive to class in rush hour down there. I loved the fact that there wasn't 2 million or more people trying to go every where all the time. I liked being only an hour away from NO.VA if I wanted to come up on the wknds. So yes, I am one of the people you are talking about.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Champion of the Sun wrote:
I'm on the waitlist for Richmond and probably won't get but I'm from NO.VA and I would much rather be in Richmond than up here. I grew up in No.VA and had to move back after undergrad but for the 3 years that I lived in Richmond while going to VCU I absolutly loved it. I loved the cheap rent in Henrico Co. I loved the fact that it only took me 10 minutes or less to drive to class in rush hour down there. I loved the fact that there wasn't 2 million or more people trying to go every where all the time. I liked being only an hour away from NO.VA if I wanted to come up on the wknds. So yes, I am one of the people you are talking about.

Well have fun in Richmond. But when choosing law schools in this economy you gotta think beyond the commute and look into the employment situation. DC happens to have the lowest unemployment rate. And even though I have serious hate towards Howard I think OP would be in a much better position there rather than Richmond.

And hey I think everyone is biased to their city but I don't care what any of you say. The lifestyle in Richmond SUCKS!!!! LOL I have driven to other parts of the city and those parts sucked too. I've been throughout the country, various spots overseas....and Richmond is at the bottom...waaayyyy at the bottom..LOL But hey we all have our preferences.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”