waitlist---withdraw from others

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crossingforHYS

waitlist---withdraw from others

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue May 31, 2011 9:27 pm

ok, so when you are admitted off a waitlist---must you withdraw from all other waitlists if you chose to accept?

paulinaporizkova

Re: waitlist---withdraw from others

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm

why don't you email the school and ask

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Depends on the school prolly. Just ask.

/thread

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 pm

well the question is more hypothetical then actually pertaining to my situation--I have seem people on this forum claim that others should send out withdrawal offers once they got admitted....and I was confused as to whether it was common to do this?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue May 31, 2011 9:32 pm

I have had schools tell me that when I accept their offer, I must withdraw from other schools, but others have asked what other schools I have deposits on when I sent in the first deposit.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 pm

common sense tells me that if you accept the waitlist offer you're bound to the school. isn't that why they let you know that you're in and then give you X number of days to tell them if you're going to attend?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:common sense tells me that if you accept the waitlist offer you're bound to the school. isn't that why they let you know that you're in and then give you X number of days to tell them if you're going to attend?

Yep, that is what it seemed like to me----but noone has ever specified , nor do they make it clear when they accept you so I found it interesting.
It is quite a dillema if that is the case---since you have to pick a school over a potential offer from a much higher school......seems very Las Vegas to me (well, not technically a correct analogy)

Anyway, thank you for entertaining my musings :)

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue May 31, 2011 11:17 pm

No way. I haven't seen anything to lead me to think that it's binding in the way that an ED acceptance would be. I would assume that it's the same as if you're accepted RD: you send them your deposit which you forfeit if you later withdraw. It's certainly kosher to have multiple deposits down, so I don't see why being accepted off the WL should make any difference...

If I'm wrong please tell me soon so I don't end up like that multiple ED guy from last year :shock:

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:20 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:No way. I haven't seen anything to lead me to think that it's binding in the way that an ED acceptance would be. I would assume that it's the same as if you're accepted RD: you send them your deposit which you forfeit if you later withdraw. It's certainly kosher to have multiple deposits down, so I don't see why being accepted off the WL should make any difference...

If I'm wrong please tell me soon so I don't end up like that multiple ED guy from last year :shock:

I am pretty sure what you said above is correct (at least that is how I understand it as well).

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:No way. I haven't seen anything to lead me to think that it's binding in the way that an ED acceptance would be. I would assume that it's the same as if you're accepted RD: you send them your deposit which you forfeit if you later withdraw. It's certainly kosher to have multiple deposits down, so I don't see why being accepted off the WL should make any difference...

It's kosher to have multiple first deposits down, but not second deposits. They won't rescind your acceptances, but you will get angry emails from the schools.

However, I think you only have to withdraw from other WLs if the school specifically instructs you that you must as a condition for accepting their offer of admission.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 am

Magnolia wrote:

It's kosher to have multiple first deposits down, but not second deposits. They won't rescind your acceptances, but you will get angry emails from the schools.

However, I think you only have to withdraw from other WLs if the school specifically instructs you that you must as a condition for accepting their offer of admission.

Sounds like it must vary by school a bit. I'd be curious to know what schools actually have this sort of stipulation. Pretty sure Vandy didn't have anything in the response form about it, but maybe I should double-check...

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 pm

So the 2nd deposit does seem to vary by school in its binding commitment....I don't want to ask the schools I was accepted to whether their 2nd deposit is binding (I know their 1st isn't). Is there a way of knowing whether 2nd deposits are binding or not *without* having to email the schools in question? I'm not in the situation of accepting a waitlist offer though, I'm talking 2nd deposits at schools that just accepted you without any waitlist procedure.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Metaread wrote:So the 2nd deposit does seem to vary by school in its binding commitment....I don't want to ask the schools I was accepted to whether their 2nd deposit is binding (I know their 1st isn't). Is there a way of knowing whether 2nd deposits are binding or not *without* having to email the schools in question? I'm not in the situation of accepting a waitlist offer though, I'm talking 2nd deposits at schools that just accepted you without any waitlist procedure.

Curious why you don't want to ask here. I don't think they're going to withdraw their offer of admission because you're waiting out a few WLs.

In any case, I don't think even 2nd deposits are 'binding' in the sense that you have to withdraw from your WLs. But I do think you may run into trouble if you try to make 2nd deposits at more than one school, at least as far as scholarship and stuff goes. My WUSTL scholly offer stipulated that 'your scholarship may be put at risk if you maintain deposits at schools other than WUSTL after the 2nd deposit deadline.'

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm afraid they'll blacklist me somehow for asking it, there may not be any visible consequences, but I haven't yet set foot on the school and met the people and admin there, so I have no real idea how they'd react to this. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but law schools are fairly jealous of each other, it seems.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:19 pm

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx
After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. (Emphasis added.)

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks for the clarification! It makes me less paranoid. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”