American vs Rutgers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: American vs Rutgers

Postby 23402385985 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Rutgers is a powerhouse in New Jersey. End of story.

I'm sure Cooley is a powerhouse in Michigan too.

Whatever you do, just don't go to American. Or Rutgers.

If you're fine living in New Jersey (one of the nicest states in the country), there is no reason to not go to Rutgers.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Exception: American offers you 25-30k a year. There you go.

:roll:

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 pm

gsat wrote:Not getting aid from either, which I've come to terms with. PI emphasis. What concerns me is the versatility of degrees across the nation. To offer a further explanation, I am an east coaster that has just spent the last 8 years in California. I’ve noticed that they both have a small percentage of graduates that end up on the Pacific Coast, which is understandable considering the scarcity of internships. I am willing, however, to put forth the effort in finding my own California based internships. Please keep in mind that I am a first generation anything and that all of this is new territory for me.

Thanks for the help :)

If no aid from either (as you mentioned), then I would 1) consider retaking the LSAT if you have only taken it once (or even twice) to give you stronger options, or 2) decide if you would be happier living in NJ area or DC area during and after law school. You are taking some risk by attending either of these at sticker, though I am not necessarily as pessimistic at this point as some who would categorically tell you not to go to either of these at full price. It is a risk though, and might not work out well for you IMO.

But all other things equal (i.e. no strong preference for DC area or NJ), American is the better school.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 10:23 pm

joncrooshal wrote:If you're fine living in New Jersey (one of the nicest states in the country), there is no reason to not go to Rutgers.

Also no reason not to go camp out in a refrigerator box under an overpass in Newark. To each his own.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:If you're fine living in New Jersey (one of the nicest states in the country), there is no reason to not go to Rutgers.

Also no reason not to go camp out in a refrigerator box under an overpass in Newark. To each his own.

Because Newark is still unsafe? Have you been to Newark recently? There are parts that are terrible, but the city as a whole is much safer than it used to be. Shit, I'd rather walk around most areas of Newark than I would right off the Yale campus in New Haven.

Camden, on the other hand, I cannot explain. I wish NJ would give it to Pennsylvania.

aat30

Postby aat30 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
gsat wrote: decide if you would be happier living in NJ area or DC area during and after law school.

Few questions about Rutgers job prospects in DC:

How are the odds of landing a job there? Is it different for Gov. jobs vs. Mid-law?

With DC in mind, which campus is better?

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:31 pm

aat30 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
gsat wrote: decide if you would be happier living in NJ area or DC area during and after law school.

Few questions about Rutgers job prospects in DC:

How are the odds of landing a job there? Is it different for Gov. jobs vs. Mid-law?

With DC in mind, which campus is better?

Rutgers isn't going to travel outside of New Jersey and a bit in the surrounding states at all. I would say slim to none in DC.

If you want to work in North Jersey, go to Rutgers-Newark. If you want to work in South Jersey, go to Rutgers-Camden. I wouldn't even think about DC if you are going to Rutgers.

aat30

Postby aat30 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:34 pm

^ I figured as much. Thanks.

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:10 pm

aat30 wrote:^ I figured as much. Thanks.

Jersey rules, so it's not like it's a bad place to end up. One of the richer states in the country, great beaches, an hour to an hour and a half to NYC/Philly and 3-4 hours to Boston/DC if you are right in Central Jersey.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”