IU Indy vs. Michigan State

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lolol10

IU Indy vs. Michigan State

Postby lolol10 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:26 pm

where should i go? i would like to transfer to a t25+ school after my first year. I understand grades are the major factor that adcoms consider for transfers. i am hoping by next spring i am postured to look at transferring into UM, ND, IUB, NW. IU-I is ranked higher but does this really matter? does location matter? cost of attendance is not really a factor between the two.

any advice is appreciated

Aqualibrium

Re: IU Indy vs. Michigan State

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 pm

oh boy...

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 pm

thanks...

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 pm

You're asking the wrong questions.

And you're asking them in the wrong forum.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 pm

TheFactor wrote:You're asking the wrong questions.

And you're asking them in the wrong forum.

youre wrong

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 pm

lolol10 wrote:where should i go? i would like to transfer to a t25+ school after my first year. I understand grades are the major factor that adcoms consider for transfers. i am hoping by next spring i am postured to look at transferring into UM, ND, IUB, NW. IU-I is ranked higher but does this really matter? does location matter? cost of attendance is not really a factor between the two.

any advice is appreciated

dont bank on that homie

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 12, 2011 4:12 am

lolol10 wrote:where should i go?

To a school you would be happy graduating from. It doesn't sound like IU-Indy or Michigan State are such schools, because of this:

lolol10 wrote:i would like to transfer to a t25+ school after my first year. I understand grades are the major factor that adcoms consider for transfers.

NEVER ATTEND A LAW SCHOOL INTENDING TO TRANSFER.

Grades are the biggest factor in transferring up, but here's the problem: To have a great shot at transferring you need top 5% grades. This means you are 95% unlikely to have the grades to transfer. And no, there is nothing that makes you so special that you know you're more likely than everyone else to end up in the top 5%. Nearly 100% of the people going to law school these days intend to be in the top of the class, so the letdown rate is pretty high.

If you're at all serious, you should simply not go to law school at this time. Retake the LSAT and try again, that gives you a far better shot at getting into the schools you really want to attend than what you're planning.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:57 am

vanwinkle wrote:

To a school you would be happy graduating from. It doesn't sound like IU-Indy or Michigan State are such schools, because of this:

lolol10 wrote:i would like to transfer to a t25+ school after my first year. I understand grades are the major factor that adcoms consider for transfers.

Grades are the biggest factor in transferring up, but here's the problem: To have a great shot at transferring you need top 5% grades. This means you are 95% unlikely to have the grades to transfer. And no, there is nothing that makes you so special that you know you're more likely than everyone else to end up in the top 5%. Nearly 100% of the people going to law school these days intend to be in the top of the class, so the letdown rate is pretty high.

If you're at all serious, you should simply not go to law school at this time. Retake the LSAT and try again, that gives you a far better shot at getting into the schools you really want to attend than what you're planning.

thank you for some sound advice. i wouldnt mind graduating from iu-indy my family is well connected in legal circles in the midwest, so i think i am ready for law school this fall. i just ate it on the lsat a couple of times but i know im academically capable at a t25 lvl. i had a 3.6 at a t15 UG school. so all that to say i feel like i let myself down haha. but if there's a chance, theres a chance!

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu May 12, 2011 3:54 pm

lolol10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

thank you for some sound advice. i wouldnt mind graduating from iu-indy my family is well connected in legal circles in the midwest, so i think i am ready for law school this fall. i just ate it on the lsat a couple of times but i know im academically capable at a t25 lvl. i had a 3.6 at a t15 UG school. so all that to say i feel like i let myself down haha. but if there's a chance, theres a chance!

/facepalm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 pm

lolol10 wrote:thank you for some sound advice. i wouldnt mind graduating from iu-indy my family is well connected in legal circles in the midwest, so i think i am ready for law school this fall. i just ate it on the lsat a couple of times but i know im academically capable at a t25 lvl. i had a 3.6 at a t15 UG school. so all that to say i feel like i let myself down haha. but if there's a chance, theres a chance!

If you're "academically capable at a T25 level" then you should be capable of getting into a T25 school. The fact that you haven't suggests you may not be.

But even if you were capable at a T25 level, that doesn't mean you're capable of being in the top of your class in law school. And I mean any law school; the people who are at the top of lower-tier schools and transfer up to the T25 tend to still do very well at their new school. The odds of that kind of success are too low to assume you actually have it.

What's worse for you is that the LSAT and UGPA are still the best predictors of law school performance. It's a low positive correlation, which means if you have them both you're more likely to do well, but not so much that you should bank on it. However, lacking both gives a pretty strong message that you're not very likely to do well. At least, it makes it highly unlikely that you really are "academically capable at a T25 level".

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 am

vanwinkle wrote:
lolol10 wrote:thank you for some sound advice. i wouldnt mind graduating from iu-indy my family is well connected in legal circles in the midwest, so i think i am ready for law school this fall. i just ate it on the lsat a couple of times but i know im academically capable at a t25 lvl. i had a 3.6 at a t15 UG school. so all that to say i feel like i let myself down haha. but if there's a chance, theres a chance!

If you're "academically capable at a T25 level" then you should be capable of getting into a T25 school. The fact that you haven't suggests you may not be.

But even if you were capable at a T25 level, that doesn't mean you're capable of being in the top of your class in law school. And I mean any law school; the people who are at the top of lower-tier schools and transfer up to the T25 tend to still do very well at their new school. The odds of that kind of success are too low to assume you actually have it.

What's worse for you is that the LSAT and UGPA are still the best predictors of law school performance. It's a low positive correlation, which means if you have them both you're more likely to do well, but not so much that you should bank on it. However, lacking both gives a pretty strong message that you're not very likely to do well. At least, it makes it highly unlikely that you really are "academically capable at a T25 level".

me thank you for that

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”