Pitt Law Scholarship Negotiation

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
incase2011

Pitt Law Scholarship Negotiation

Postby incase2011 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm

I got an unexpected email admitting me to Pitt Law. My stats are 3.17/159 - right on the cusp according to LSN. Obviously they waited a little while (the email admitted that it was pretty late in the application cycle and asked if I was still interested), so I wasn't an easy admit I'm assuming.

I'm also in at Chicago-Kent PT, with a $10,000 first year (non-renewing) scholarship. It's kind of a stretch, but do you think I should use Chicago-Kent to negotiate for money at Pitt? From what I've seen, they're more reluctant to give out scholarships than other comparable schools.

bport hopeful

Re: Pitt Law Scholarship Negotiation

Postby bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 pm

I think they are reluctant also. I was pretty surprised when they didnt give me a scholly, but I emailed them and got 14 a year. Might as well try.

FWIW, my GPA is similar to yours. 166 LSAT.

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Wait a sec, so we're fully clear, you went from $0 a year to $14,000 a year... because you sent an email? Did you have a scholarship somewhere else? Could you PM me a copy of your letter if you get a chance and feel comfortable? It would definitely help as law school is expensive haha

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello,
My name is John Doe and I was recently granted admittance. The University of Pittsburgh is my top choice for law school. I love the city and it is where I want to live, and I am very excited to be a part of the community. But as confident as I am that Pittsburgh is where I want to be, I also understand that attending law school is a financial decision and one that should not be taken lightly. I have received scholarship offers at several other schools. These offers include an $18,000 a year scholarship at Case Western Reserve University, a $10,000 a year scholarship at Emory University, and a $35,000 a year scholarship at Seton Hall University. I believe that it would be negligent of me to ignore these obvious financial opportunities. As of right now, Seton Hall is my second choice for both financial and personal reasons. They have granted me an extension on my seat deposit so I could give adequate consideration to my situation. Again, the University of Pittsburgh is my first choice, and if there was anyway that the school could help make the cost of attendance comparable, I would surely attend.

If someone really cared, I could likely be outted, but whatevz.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:26 pm

I got a response that day saying that I would be reconsidered, and another email about a week later saying I got 14k with a 3.0 stip, renewing.

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Haha ok this makes more sense now. $35k per year at Seton Hall probably holds a little more weight than $10k for one year at Chicago-Kent, part time... Thanks for the info. I'm guessing I should be happy I got in.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:29 pm

I guess it won't hurt to try but idk if the Chicago-Kent scholly is enough leverage.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 pm

The fact that he has a 166 for Pitt makes a difference too. 159 is the median. With a 159, you are not even an auto-admit or a strong consider. You are a consideration and you got in, but it could've gone either way. Doesn't hurt to try, but if you're a non-URM, don't expect as good of a result as bport received.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”