Debunking the auto-reject theory

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aliarrow

Re: Debunking the auto-reject theory

Postby aliarrow » Fri May 06, 2011 11:40 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:I just received my rejection letter, eeehhhhhh, just kidding. I'm think my app is still sitting in a rejection pile, or maybe they lost my app....hmmm

I sincerely wish you good luck, and I hope you get accepted.
(But I'd hit the books hard for that retake)

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri May 06, 2011 11:44 am

law4vus wrote:I feel bad for the OP, and this thread is headed to a bad place. I can tell already. lol

Please, don't feel bad. What negative nellies say behind computer screens hardly affects me personally. People can laugh all they want, say I don't belong, or simply dismiss me all together. But I've met a lot of JDs with ivy league educations, big numbers who last less than two years in biglaw, and end up as LSAT instructors or head hunters for staffing agencies - now that some funny stuff!!!

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 am

aliarrow wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:I just received my rejection letter, eeehhhhhh, just kidding. I'm think my app is still sitting in a rejection pile, or maybe they lost my app....hmmm

Thank you very much, and I will. The first score was a fluke, and believe it or not folks, I'm not stupid.

Guy

Postby Guy » Fri May 06, 2011 11:49 am

ProfitsProphets wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

Thank you very much, and I will. The first score was a fluke, and believe it or not folks, I'm not stupid.

this is getting so awkward

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Guy wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

this is getting so awkward

Hahaha. I know. Also really really mean. He called my dad a loser.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Fri May 06, 2011 12:17 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Actually what contributed to my amazing LSAT score was my lack of experience with standardized test. I'm a non-traditional applicant. Plus, I suppose having been unemployed for nearly a year at the time I took the test didn't help. I'm also a father (15 y/o daughter) and live in SF, so financial worries and family responsibilities trumped LSAT focus. I went blank, and I actually guessed a lot of answers. Sucks for me.

But I will retake, fret not.

OP, please, PLEASE devote as much time as humanly possible between now and October to studying! as has been (somewhat) alluded to in this thread, the LSAT is not a test one should take blind. go buy the Power Score Bibles (or whatever LSAT prep books you prefer) and as many PTs as you can afford, and get to work. given your GPA and URM status, getting up to even the upper 150's would dramatically change your school prospects. break 160, and we're talking T14.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

almightypush wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Actually what contributed to my amazing LSAT score was my lack of experience with standardized test. I'm a non-traditional applicant. Plus, I suppose having been unemployed for nearly a year at the time I took the test didn't help. I'm also a father (15 y/o daughter) and live in SF, so financial worries and family responsibilities trumped LSAT focus. I went blank, and I actually guessed a lot of answers. Sucks for me.

OP, please, PLEASE devote as much time as humanly possible between now and October to studying! as has been (somewhat) alluded to in this thread, the LSAT is not a test one should take blind. go buy the Power Score Bibles (or whatever LSAT prep books you prefer) and as many PTs as you can afford, and get to work. given your GPA and URM status, getting up to even the upper 150's would dramatically change your school prospects. break 160, and we're talking T14.

150 cold can go to 175, but can 136 go to 160?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
almightypush wrote:

I still don't see how anyone can even get a 136 unless they attempt to bomb the test.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
almightypush wrote:

I still don't see how anyone can even get a 136 unless they attempt to bomb the test.

What percentile is that? I can't remember what my dads was... I think 137 was like 15th percentile. Could be way off on that.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri May 06, 2011 12:53 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

I can believe that you aren't stupid. But it's still a fact that your title is incorrect. If you get it, it does absolutely nothing to the auto-reject theory because you have applied to a program specifically designed for people who would otherwise be auto-rejected.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
law4vus wrote:I feel bad for the OP, and this thread is headed to a bad place. I can tell already. lol

Please, don't feel bad. What negative nellies say behind computer screens hardly affects me personally. People can laugh all they want, say I don't belong, or simply dismiss me all together. But I've met a lot of JDs with ivy league educations, big numbers who last less than two years in biglaw, and end up as LSAT instructors or head hunters for staffing agencies - now that some funny stuff!!!

If you knew the comp structure of some of these head hunters, you might not think it was that funny. Remember, ivy league education --> ivy league connections.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm not sure what your motivation is in posting your story (for the second time...), but you certainly seem to be a glutton for punishment. Here's the thing, though: before you try to trumpet your softs/story/special snowflakeness and counter any "auto-reject theory," make sure your app doesn't get, um, fucking rejected. Simply sitting in review for a while doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that this particular admissions office has a certain timeline for reviewing apps/making decisions, and/or they're swamped with late applications. You can still be (and probably are) auto-reject.

Come back when you get a decision.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:

Sir, have you ever heard of illusory superiority? I'd recommend a quick read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Fri May 06, 2011 1:33 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
geoduck wrote:You applied to Hastings LEOP, not regular Hastings admissions. Of course you weren't auto dinged.... You applied for their crappy-stats program! This proves nothing even if you get in.

I'm more amazed at that 136 though. You get 120 for writing your name....

True story: because my dad is a bad guy, he took the LSAT with me the first time I took it, simply to mind fuck me. He lucked out and was placed one row behind me and the whole time he kept clearing his throat real loud and making awkward comments to the girls sitting by him at every break. My dad is a 60 year old alcoholic and he didn't give two shits to the wind about his score-- he got a 137.

Reading this thread just became worthwhile.

bmore

Postby bmore » Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Not to be mean, but you took the test after being unemployed for a year (plenty of time to prep), and you are already having financial difficulties? Are you sure you want to proceed with this :?

Guy

Postby Guy » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 pm

:?

have you considered going for a jd/mba?

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm

I think I'm going to pull out an old LSAT practice test, randomly guess on every answer, and see if I can beat a 136.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:05 pm

TheOcho wrote:I think I'm going to pull out an old LSAT practice test, randomly guess on every answer, and see if I can beat a 136.

+1

tag before this gets locked up

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Guessing A, B, C, A, D consecutively for the entire test only got me a 122. OP trumped that!

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri May 06, 2011 3:13 pm

TheOcho wrote:Guessing A, B, C, A, D consecutively for the entire test only got me a 122. OP trumped that!

Now just guess all D's.

*eagerly waits*

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Ginj wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Guessing A, B, C, A, D consecutively for the entire test only got me a 122. OP trumped that!

Now just guess all D's.

*eagerly waits*

126. We're getting closer.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 pm

TheOcho wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Now just guess all D's.

*eagerly waits*

TCR is all Cs.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Fri May 06, 2011 3:26 pm

geoduck wrote:
TheOcho wrote:
Ginj wrote:

Now just guess all D's.

*eagerly waits*

TCR is all Cs.

127. There has to be a better system.

Postby 071816 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Sorry if I'm missing something, but how does this "debunk" anything if you haven't received a decision yet?

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri May 06, 2011 3:31 pm

chimp wrote:Sorry if I'm missing something, but how does this "debunk" anything if you haven't received a decision yet?

Question o' the day, good buddy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”