Debunking the auto-reject theory Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eponymous

New

Re: Debunking the auto-reject theory

Post by Eponymous » Wed May 11, 2011 9:59 am

But more importantly, we are slowly etching toward equality, special app or not.
Will respond to this [sentence?] once I can figure out what you mean -- or can at least parse the phrasing. Clearly, your observation is much too deep for me.

patallica22

New

Post by patallica22 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

Can I suggest we shut this thread down? Someone coming to TLS for the first time will probably be scared off forever if this the first thing they read...

OP -- best of luck to you in retaking the LSAT.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Thank you to the posters who turned this thread back to a positive note. I was actually contacted via email notifying me of a WL. However, with much consideration and thought, I declined the offer (W my app), so that I can give myself a fair chance at retaking the LSAT. I did myself a disservice scoring as bad as I did. Whether or not I actually got off the WL doesn't matter. What matters is I WANT to retake, score better, and put myself in position to earn scholarships.

All the negative feedback, references to guessing, chimps, etc., only highlights the problems in our society: one group of people think they are smarter than another group, basically Eugenics (go ahead, look it up for those who haven't a clue). But more importantly, we are slowly etching toward equality, special app or not.

My Soc background taught me a lot about American society, the inherent racism and discrimination that plagues this great nation, and I discovered how we got to this point: Redlining (go ahead clueless, look that up too). So please, stop referring to URMs, the surrounding area of schools like Hastings as ghetto. There's a specific reason why us minorities come from disadvantaged backgrounds, while the affluent (ORMs, dare I say white) enjoy the spoils of proper rearing, resources, safe neighborhoods, and turn out to excel in academia and the labor force. But don't throw it in our faces with your ignorance, or shrug things off like it's no big deal.

Brush up on your history, particularly American history, before you spout off with such hurtful, ignorant statements.

God willing, we are breaking down barriers, like the LSAT.

wut. Hopefully if you get into law school next year, some of your logic will be straightened out.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed May 11, 2011 12:21 pm

auto-reject successfully debunked

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Wed May 11, 2011 12:36 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Just because it's in review for 10 weeks doesn't mean it isn't auto-reject...
What is this?
+1

It's probably reasoning like this which contributed to your amazing LSAT score.
Actually what contributed to my amazing LSAT score was my lack of experience with standardized test. I'm a non-traditional applicant. Plus, I suppose having been unemployed for nearly a year at the time I took the test didn't help. I'm also a father (15 y/o daughter) and live in SF, so financial worries and family responsibilities trumped LSAT focus. I went blank, and I actually guessed a lot of answers. Sucks for me.

But I will retake, fret not.

Wouldn't being unemployed for almost a year give you plenty of time to study? Also, if your family responsibilities trumped LSAT focus, wouldn't the same hold true for law school focus? Maybe you should wait until your daughter is in college and then think about going to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed May 11, 2011 12:41 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Thank you to the posters who turned this thread back to a positive note. I was actually contacted via email notifying me of a WL. However, with much consideration and thought, I declined the offer (W my app), so that I can give myself a fair chance at retaking the LSAT. I did myself a disservice scoring as bad as I did. Whether or not I actually got off the WL doesn't matter. What matters is I WANT to retake, score better, and put myself in position to earn scholarships.

All the negative feedback, references to guessing, chimps, etc., only highlights the problems in our society: one group of people think they are smarter than another group, basically Eugenics (go ahead, look it up for those who haven't a clue). But more importantly, we are slowly etching toward equality, special app or not.

My Soc background taught me a lot about American society, the inherent racism and discrimination that plagues this great nation, and I discovered how we got to this point: Redlining (go ahead clueless, look that up too). So please, stop referring to URMs, the surrounding area of schools like Hastings as ghetto. There's a specific reason why us minorities come from disadvantaged backgrounds, while the affluent (ORMs, dare I say white) enjoy the spoils of proper rearing, resources, safe neighborhoods, and turn out to excel in academia and the labor force. But don't throw it in our faces with your ignorance, or shrug things off like it's no big deal.

Brush up on your history, particularly American history, before you spout off with such hurtful, ignorant statements.

Well that delivered. This is some awesome trollin'.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed May 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Bro, I'm Mexican and from Long Beach. Granted my dad got us the hell out of there as soon as he could, but no one has talked about Hastings being in the ghetto. Just to be safe, I ctrl-fed through the thread and nope, first ghetto remark was yours. You are choosing correctly in studying and retaking the LSAT because that first score does you a massive disservice.

But please, stop wearing out your race card. Plenty of URMs do well on the LSATs even coming from a disadvantaged background. There is a reason that the biggest boost I've heard of for AA is 10 points and like 5-6 points for Mexican/Puerto Rican. It's true that being advantaged is likely to help your LSAT score and they recognize that and are willing to take, say, a 166 from a URM when they would need a 172 from someone else. But Philly's redlines aren't going to make scoring at the bottom of the class acceptable. They want the best in class.

Even if URMs were incapable of scoring as well as pure gueros, which isn't the case, then affirmative action would lead the adcomms to take the URMs with the best scores. If the highest a URM could score was a 160, then they'd want the ones scoring between 155 and 160. Since thankfully that isn't the case and people of all races have the intellectual capacity to smash the test, they only do minor compensation to offset disadvantages. Talk about eugenics all you want, but the way forward isn't backward. Though you are correct that some people are more intelligent than others, but it has nothing to do with any kind of racist Social-Darwinism. If you honestly believed in that crap, then why even go to law school? You're going to have to compete with all those privileged people for grades and jobs and all of those grades are going to be test based. If you want to beat them there, you can beat them here at the LSATs. Or at least give them a good fight.

Best of luck in the retake though. There is no doubt in my mind that you can do better, probably even better enough to get into a decent school without taking the rainbows-and-giggles admissions path.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm locking to save you all from potentially getting yourselves banned.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”