St. John's Waitlisted 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dar482

St. John's Waitlisted 2011

Postby dar482 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:08 pm

I graduated from NYU with a 3.5. My LSAT was disappointing and on the lower end of my practices after taking it twice, 153 and 154.

I've applied to St. John's, Hofstra, CUNY, and NYLS.

I've been only accepted to NYLS so far, though I really don't think I want to go after reading about its reputation (high cost/bad job prospects).
I'm on the waitlist at St. John's. Should I send a letter stating that I am still interested? What are my chances?

If NYLS is basically out of the question for me, how are St. John's and Hofstra as options?

rocon7383

Re: St. John's Waitlisted 2011

Postby rocon7383 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 am

dar482 wrote:I graduated from NYU with a 3.5. My LSAT was disappointing and on the lower end of my practices after taking it twice, 153 and 154.

I've been only accepted to NYLS so far, though I really don't think I want to go after reading about its reputation (high cost/bad job prospects).
I'm on the waitlist at St. John's. Should I send a letter stating that I am still interested? What are my chances?

If NYLS is basically out of the question for me, how are St. John's and Hofstra as options?

you have a good gpa coming from a very good undergraduate school. You may not want to hear it, but retake and reapply. If you increase your score by 10 points or so, you'd go to St. John's for free, and could, EDIT:if you get that GPA into the 166 range, get into fordham.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 am

rocon7383 wrote:
dar482 wrote:I graduated from NYU with a 3.5. My LSAT was disappointing and on the lower end of my practices after taking it twice, 153 and 154.

you have a good gpa coming from a very good undergraduate school. You may not want to hear it, but retake. If you increase your score by 10 points or so, you'd go to St. John's for free, and could get into fordham.

Fordham ain't happening with a 164/3.5.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

you have a good gpa coming from a very good undergraduate school. You may not want to hear it, but retake. If you increase your score by 10 points or so, you'd go to St. John's for free, and could get into fordham.

Fordham ain't happening with a 164/3.5.

yeah, you're right. 166 would probably do the trick, though.

dar482

Postby dar482 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Is that a bit of a rough option? I graduated in 2010 and took time off to study for the LSAT/a break so I could apply Fall 2011.

Is waiting an entire year really a good idea?

And as an update: I've also been waitlisted from Hofstra. So I'm actually only really waiting for CUNY with NYLS out the window as an option.

davidjs23

Postby davidjs23 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 am

Hey I have very similar numbers to you and I also graduated from NYU. I have a 3.4 /156 and I got waitlisted to St johns as well. However I did get into pace full time with 16k, Hofstra with no scholarship (very early in the cycle) Brooklyn part time, and seton halll part time with 10k. I got waitlisted at Cardozo. I think personally you should aim higher next time around. Your numbers are solid, this web site is for sheer elite students usually, but MANY students with your numbers get into very decent schools. St johns dropped nearly 20 spots on their rankings so they feel they have something to prove this year. I don't think it's much of indicator of how well you fair at much higher ranked schools.

IH21

Postby IH21 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm

The guy I've been talking to back and forth at St. John's is Leslie G. Flanagan, Esq. (Assistant Director of Admissions). PM me for his e-mail address if you need it.

I would strongly recommend sending in a LOCI at the very least. Good luck.

finsftball4

Postby finsftball4 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 pm

^^^ Leslie is a woman

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”