UNC 2011 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aknecht

Re: UNC 2011 Waitlist

Postby aknecht » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm

anyone know if this alleged 832 number is standard operating procedure @ UNC? It really seems like the admissions staff dropped the ball this year if not.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Mach 26 wrote:It’s definitely worth doing if you can. I retook after a dismal cycle last year and had much better results. Best of luck to you Capitalist, you seem like a stand up individual.

Thanks for the compliment and vote of confidence, Mach.

As of now, I'm 65/35 on retaking...

Postby 20140606 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 am

Last edited by 20140606 on Fri May 30, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PHC

Postby PHC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Holy ish! I just got a call from Dean States and I'm going to Chapel Hill in the fall!

O M G

kozmosis

Postby kozmosis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:48 pm

congrats and good luck

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 pm

I got the call last night :) :) I'm definitely going! Dropped off my check this morning and now looking for an apartment :) :)

acelaw

Postby acelaw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 pm

So, for those of you getting calls and getting accepted now...would you mind sharing: in state/OOS, male/female, etc?

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Also, are they asking for an immediate decision when offered an acceptance or did they tell you to let them now by a certain date/time?

drewford34

Postby drewford34 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:24 am

Hey guys I just discovered this thread but thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Stats: Male, 2 years work experience, managed 2 get in-state despite living in Chicago since undergrad, 164, 3.25, not a minority.

UNC was my top choice from the beginning, I submitted my application in early October and heard back in December that I had received residency. Then I heard nothing at all. I ended up hearing a decision from every other school I applied to. In mid-April I was frustrated with their process and sent them an email simply informing them that of all the schools I applied to their admissions process was the most frustrating and seemed the most impersonal. (It should be noted that I had received a scholarship at WFU, already paid a seat deposit, and essentially decided to go there.) That same day I received my waitlist decision. I had heard the waitlist at UNC was ominous every years, so I essentially gave up. However just to follow through, I sent a LOCI, responded to that same email that Dean States sent to everyone, and also submitted an additional LSAC evaluation from my supervisor, who is a UNC grad.

I got called on 5/23 @ around 10am by Dean States. I asked him if I could call him back the next day with my decision so I could think about it and he said that was fine. I agonized about the decision for 24 hours, then called him back and accepted. I'm very happy with my decision. Good luck to everyone else, and hope that describing my situation helps!

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 am

drewford34 wrote:Hey guys I just discovered this thread but thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Stats: Male, 2 years work experience, managed 2 get in-state despite living in Chicago since undergrad, 164, 3.25, not a minority.

UNC was my top choice from the beginning, I submitted my application in early October and heard back in December that I had received residency. Then I heard nothing at all. I ended up hearing a decision from every other school I applied to. In mid-April I was frustrated with their process and sent them an email simply informing them that of all the schools I applied to their admissions process was the most frustrating and seemed the most impersonal. (It should be noted that I had received a scholarship at WFU, already paid a seat deposit, and essentially decided to go there.) That same day I received my waitlist decision. I had heard the waitlist at UNC was ominous every years, so I essentially gave up. However just to follow through, I sent a LOCI, responded to that same email that Dean States sent to everyone, and also submitted an additional LSAC evaluation from my supervisor, who is a UNC grad.

I got called on 5/23 @ around 10am by Dean States. I asked him if I could call him back the next day with my decision so I could think about it and he said that was fine. I agonized about the decision for 24 hours, then called him back and accepted. I'm very happy with my decision. Good luck to everyone else, and hope that describing my situation helps!

I have about the same numbers so hopefully I get some good news.

tarheel125

Postby tarheel125 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 am

have any non-nc residents gotten in off the waitlist?

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am

tarheel125 wrote:have any non-nc residents gotten in off the waitlist?

Yeah, I just got accepted off the WL. I had to turn them down though b/c they don't have any scholarship $ left and I have a pretty good $$ offer from WFU.

Hopefully one of you gets my spot!!

PHC

Postby PHC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm

acelaw wrote:So, for those of you getting calls and getting accepted now...would you mind sharing: in state/OOS, male/female, etc?

Sure. In state, male, UNC grad, 163, 3.3, work experience.

I didn't need to ask how long I had to decide as UNC is my #1 choice.

Hopefully this is of some help.

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:01 am

No problem -- 160, 3.4 gpa, female -- UNC Undergrad & in-state. I am incredibly excited!!

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

So i hear they are reviewing the class one last time this week to see if they need to add anybody. One last hope!

realbutter

Postby realbutter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Bobo355 wrote:So i hear they are reviewing the class one last time this week to see if they need to add anybody. One last hope!

Did you hear this from someone in the admissions office?

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

realbutter wrote:
Bobo355 wrote:So i hear they are reviewing the class one last time this week to see if they need to add anybody. One last hope!

Yeah called front office and they said that the 2nd Deposit is in and they will be evaluating the class to see if they are gonna pull anymore from waitlist. I guess it's not the last hope, because you can technically get in up to the day before class. Just how I am looking at it though.

realbutter

Postby realbutter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Bobo355 wrote:
realbutter wrote:

Yeah called front office and they said that the 2nd Deposit is in and they will be evaluating the class to see if they are gonna pull anymore from waitlist. I guess it's not the last hope, because you can technically get in up to the day before class. Just how I am looking at it though.

Did you ask them how many people are still on the waitlist? I hope its not 832...

tarheel125

Postby tarheel125 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 pm

realbutter wrote:
Bobo355 wrote:
realbutter wrote:

Did you ask them how many people are still on the waitlist? I hope its not 832...

+1. Definitely want to know the size of the waitlist. Bobo, when you called the office, did you say your name?

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Did you ask them how many people are still on the waitlist? I hope its not 832...[/quote]

+1. Definitely want to know the size of the waitlist. Bobo, when you called the office, did you say your name?[/quote]

Yeah i told them my name. Wasn't in secret opps mode. :-P No idea on waitlist size. I know with all the other schools that I'm on the waitlist for, they sent out an email saying they were shrinking the list and I made it onto the reduced list etc. I didn't get anything like this from UNC, so I'm assuming it's still the same size except for the people that dropped themselves off it.

JHALEBREAK

Postby JHALEBREAK » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Got my call from Jennifer Kott, Director of admissions on 06/15. Im out of state with a 162, 3.6 and work experience. For those out of staters, if possible make a trip to NC, I'm pretty sure it was what allowed me to get that call...they were able to put a face with the application and see that it was absolutely my number 1.

Hope that helps!!

tarajo

Postby tarajo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 pm

JHALEBREAK wrote:Got my call from Jennifer Kott, Director of admissions on 06/15. Im out of state with a 162, 3.6 and work experience. For those out of staters, if possible make a trip to NC, I'm pretty sure it was what allowed me to get that call...they were able to put a face with the application and see that it was absolutely my number 1.

Hope that helps!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience. Since the email to us specifically stated that they could not offer interviews to those wait listed, I'm curious about your visit. Did you go to CH after you were wait listed? If so, did you take a tour and speak to folks in the ad office when you were there?

JHALEBREAK

Postby JHALEBREAK » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:09 pm

tarajo wrote:
JHALEBREAK wrote:Got my call from Jennifer Kott, Director of admissions on 06/15. Im out of state with a 162, 3.6 and work experience. For those out of staters, if possible make a trip to NC, I'm pretty sure it was what allowed me to get that call...they were able to put a face with the application and see that it was absolutely my number 1.

Hope that helps!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience. Since the email to us specifically stated that they could not offer interviews to those wait listed, I'm curious about your visit. Did you go to CH after you were wait listed? If so, did you take a tour and speak to folks in the ad office when you were there?

Yeah, basically the day I was waitlisted I called and spoke with someone in admissions. We talked for a while and she then gave me her email address and said to call or email if I had any questions. So, I talked with my undergrad pre-law advisor and she said if you can afford it, make a trip. I emailed UNC after I had finalized the dates and asked if I could set up a meeting with someone in admissions and I did. I got my call two days after my meeting. It wasn't an "interview" but you can absolutely set up an "appointment" to speak with someone in admissions. They tell you not to call and that they can't give interviews because there are 800+ people on the waitlist and that would be super time consuming and expensive, but if UNC is what you really want, do what you need to do so there are no regrets... that's why I did what I did. Again, hope this helps.

realbutter

Postby realbutter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:34 pm

How many people are waiting it out until August, or did you choose the July 15 waitlist option? Its August for me.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 pm

FWIW I called a few days ago and asked the size of the waitlist and what would happen now that the second deposit deadline had passed. Was told it was down to around 600 and they expected some movement in the "next few months." I was hoping to hear something like the next few weeks, but take it as you will I guess. Didn't give my name and just spoke briefly with the admissions staffer who answered the phone.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”