UNC 2011 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2things2

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Waitlist

Post by 2things2 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:59 am

carolinguia wrote:Got the call from Dean States about an hour ago! :D

Hopefully a few more folks will get some good news this afternoon! Good luck!
Congrats -- Did you do a LOCI? I feel like the email we got last week is implying that we shouldn't send one in, but maybe I'm wrong?

tarajo

New

Post by tarajo » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Would you mind sharing with the rest of us hopefuls what your stats were and what you did after you were wait listed? (LOCI, any additional letters or emails, updated resume, add'l recs, calls on your behalf?) Thanks

Bobo355

New

Post by Bobo355 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:43 pm

2things2 wrote:

Congrats -- Did you do a LOCI? I feel like the email we got last week is implying that we shouldn't send one in, but maybe I'm wrong?
I think that email last week was asking us not to send in an additional LOCI. In the original waitlist email and from what i understood from admissions, they would appreciate an initial LOCI, but they don't want one every week. :-)

tarheel125

New

Post by tarheel125 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

There are 4 reported WL acceptances on LSN. Seems like they are all older (non-traditional applicants), with the exception of 1.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Was accepted via phone call Monday around 10 am EST. I did not submit a LOCI or supplement my application. As has been stated, UNC pulls applicants from the waitlist that mirror accepted candidates who have declined their offer of admission.

While I understand very well the anxiety/angst associated with the waitlist and admissions in general, I have to say that I find the comment: "Congrats! Stats?" pretty rude. That's what LSN is for.

My stats did not get me in. Comparing your numbers to other people's will not get you in.

Honestly, like the Emory and W&M waitlists, I completely wrote this one off as impossible to be admitted from--to the point that I submitted my second deposit at another school last week! Letting go like that was immensely helpful psychologically. Very pleasantly surprised to be admitted, but it was and is SO unlikely-- it appears they are cherry picking people for "uniqueness." Definitely a crapshoot, IMO.

My sympathies are with those who are desperate to attend, and I wish y'all the best possible outcome. The odds are awful, and I find it ironic that I'm somehow an example that it IS possible to get off this waitlist when I (realistically) assumed there was no hope.

Did you know that you have the same likelihood of winning the lottery whether you buy a ticket or not?

This one's for the optimists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEAX7MJIRDE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GIBBS757

New

Post by GIBBS757 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 am

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:Was accepted via phone call Monday around 10 am EST. I did not submit a LOCI or supplement my application. As has been stated, UNC pulls applicants from the waitlist that mirror accepted candidates who have declined their offer of admission.

While I understand very well the anxiety/angst associated with the waitlist and admissions in general, I have to say that I find the comment: "Congrats! Stats?" pretty rude. That's what LSN is for.

My stats did not get me in. Comparing your numbers to other people's will not get you in.

Honestly, like the Emory and W&M waitlists, I completely wrote this one off as impossible to be admitted from--to the point that I submitted my second deposit at another school last week! Letting go like that was immensely helpful psychologically. Very pleasantly surprised to be admitted, but it was and is SO unlikely-- it appears they are cherry picking people for "uniqueness." Definitely a crapshoot, IMO.

My sympathies are with those who are desperate to attend, and I wish y'all the best possible outcome. The odds are awful, and I find it ironic that I'm somehow an example that it IS possible to get off this waitlist when I (realistically) assumed there was no hope.

Did you know that you have the same likelihood of winning the lottery whether you buy a ticket or not?

BOOOOOOOOO... Are you even going then? or is that rude as well?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 am

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:While I understand very well the anxiety/angst associated with the waitlist and admissions in general, I have to say that I find the comment: "Congrats! Stats?" pretty rude. That's what LSN is for.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Eeeeeeeeeeaaaassssyyyyyy. First, we all know LSN is a good database to check numbers, BUT not everyone here has a LSN profile or stats on their TLS profile, so, I apologize if you find it "pretty rude" that I congratulated someone on their and acceptance and inquired about their #s. Second, take a chill pill and be happy with your acceptance. Third, don't chastise those of us who are still anxiously waiting to hear from our dream school. Finally, don't bring that "holier than thou" attitude ITT. We don't want to hear it.

/Rant

lawschool94

New

Post by lawschool94 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:23 am

Tru Dat! Preach it brother!

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 am

Capitalist wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:While I understand very well the anxiety/angst associated with the waitlist and admissions in general, I have to say that I find the comment: "Congrats! Stats?" pretty rude. That's what LSN is for.

Eeeeeeeeeeaaaassssyyyyyy. First, we all know LSN is a good database to check numbers, BUT not everyone here has a LSN profile or stats on their TLS profile, so I apologize keep it to yourself if you find it "pretty rude" that I congratulated someone on their and acceptance and inquired about their #s. Second, take a chill pill and be happy with your acceptance. Third, don't chastise those of us who are still anxiously waiting to hear from our dream school. Finally, don't bring that "holier than thou" attitude ITT. We don't want to hear it.

/Rant
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu May 26, 2011 12:11 pm

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:Was accepted via phone call Monday around 10 am EST. I did not submit a LOCI or supplement my application. As has been stated, UNC pulls applicants from the waitlist that mirror accepted candidates who have declined their offer of admission.

Congrats! Stats?

Bobo355

New

Post by Bobo355 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm

The week is almost over... It's not looking promising for us gents and ladies. :-( That is assuming it only takes them a week to review all our applications and accept people off the waitlist... Who knows with UNC. Ha!

Mach 26

New

Post by Mach 26 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Bobo355 wrote:The week is almost over... It's not looking promising for us gents and ladies. :-( That is assuming it only takes them a week to review all our applications and accept people off the waitlist... Who knows with UNC. Ha!

It's never over until it's over. Good luck to all of us still waiting on positive news!

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Tue May 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Any news to report?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Tue May 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Capitalist wrote:

Eeeeeeeeeeaaaassssyyyyyy. First, we all know LSN is a good database to check numbers, BUT not everyone here has a LSN profile or stats on their TLS profile, so, I apologize if you find it "pretty rude" that I congratulated someone on their and acceptance and inquired about their #s. Second, take a chill pill and be happy with your acceptance. Third, don't chastise those of us who are still anxiously waiting to hear from our dream school. Finally, don't bring that "holier than thou" attitude ITT. We don't want to hear it.

/Rant
great post, dwight

carolinguia

New

Post by carolinguia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 am

WFU has a seat deposit today for scholly recipients; maybe some UNC holdouts will pony that up and withdraw? Would be nice to see some more movement here! :)

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm

carolinguia wrote:Would be nice to see some more movement here! :)
+1...I'm still holding out hope that I'll receive a call from a 919 area code w/ Dean States on the other end offering me a spot in the class of 2014. Honestly, I think I'd tear up if that happened. :)

kozmosis

New

Post by kozmosis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

still holding out hope but starting to make preparations for moving to Tallahassee.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

burnside_1

New

Post by burnside_1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 pm

+1, i am waiting as well. [quote=]
Stats?[/quote]

jayeeeteess

New

Post by jayeeeteess » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:55 pm

I think at this point it is at a standstill as far as the waitlist goes. There was a little flurry of acceptances a couple of weeks ago after a deposit deadline and I think the next batch will be after the June 13 second deposit deadline. Also on that date, there will be less people on the waitlist if anyone elected to stay on the waitlist that long. Patience grasshoppers.

Also something to think about is the "trickle down effect"...Someone gets in off the waitlist at a school like Yale, withdraws their seat at UVA, then someone who has a seat at UNC withdraws and gets into UVA. I don't know how many people this affects, but I'm sure at some point during the summer it comes into play.

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:09 am

jayeeeteess wrote:I think at this point it is at a standstill as far as the waitlist goes. There was a little flurry of acceptances a couple of weeks ago after a deposit deadline and I think the next batch will be after the June 13 second deposit deadline. Also on that date, there will be less people on the waitlist if anyone elected to stay on the waitlist that long. Patience grasshoppers.

Also something to think about is the "trickle down effect"...Someone gets in off the waitlist at a school like Yale, withdraws their seat at UVA, then someone who has a seat at UNC withdraws and gets into UVA. I don't know how many people this affects, but I'm sure at some point during the summer it comes into play.
For the strong of heart, the trickle down effect is a possibility all the way up to and after the first day of classes (or whenever UNC says they maintain the waitlist until) for those willing to remain on the list. I've heard of someone at UNC literally walking out of the building following their first 1L class after getting pulled off of a T14 waitlist they rode out, causing someone from the UNC waitlist to get tapped, and so on and so forth.

acelaw

New

Post by acelaw » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey everyone! I am new to TLS, and am also on the waitlist at UNC. I have been in communication with the admissions office, and got an email from them Friday. It stated that they did, in fact, make 22 offers from the waitlist a couple of weeks ago, all of whom were NC residents. As mentioned in other posts, they next seat deposit is due Monday, and they will reassess the class at that point and determine if they will take any more people from the wait list at that point. Being a state school, they are required to maintain certain ratios, such as male/female, in state/out of state, etc. Of course, they also look at LSAT and GPA. So, your chances of getting in are dependant on where you fall within all of these categories and what kind of demographics they need to balance out the class accordingly.

I also found out that there are 832 people on the wait list. I personally was shocked to find out that it was so large.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 pm

yeah... it doesnt seem like UNC rejects anyone that has numbers even remotely close to what they want... check out LSN.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:24 pm

acelaw wrote:I also found out that there are 832 people on the wait list. I personally was shocked to find out that it was so large.
832? That's ridiculous. As an OOS applicant with mediocre numbers, I really am beginning to accept the idea that UNC just isn't in the cards for me. I might retake and reapply next cycle. :(

realbutter

New

Post by realbutter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Of the 832 how many people do you think actually want to remain on the waitlist?

Mach 26

New

Post by Mach 26 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am

realbutter wrote:Of the 832 how many people do you think actually want to remain on the waitlist?
I would imagine it will be thinning steadily throughout the summer; I backed out late last week. Between selling a house, moving from OOS, and giving my spouse enough time to look for a new job, it just wasn’t worth the stress at this point on the timeline. Best of luck to those of you who decide to ride out the waitlist!

Capitalist wrote:832? That's ridiculous. As an OOS applicant with mediocre numbers, I really am beginning to accept the idea that UNC just isn't in the cards for me. I might retake and reapply next cycle. :(
It’s definitely worth doing if you can. I retook after a dismal cycle last year and had much better results. Best of luck to you Capitalist, you seem like a stand up individual.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”