LSAT Retake?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

LSAT Retake?

Postby fingersxd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 pm

What are people's thoughts on re-taking the LSAT in June to try to get off a WL?

I'm on 4 WL's in the T14, but I've been hearing that all of them will have VERY limited movement. Is it even worth it to take it again (I've been working so its been a few years since I took it last) if I want to attend this cycle?

On a personal note, I've already put off law school longer than I probably should have and don't want to wait another year to attend unless I can really kill it and get a T6 acceptance (or at least T14 with some serious $$)...which would also require me to probably wait until the September test to properly prepare.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:27 pm

This thread is useless without telling us what your LSAT score is/GPa and which schools you are waitlisted at.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby Kabuo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:27 pm

No one knows your current LSAT.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby fingersxd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Apologies. 3.6/170.

WL at Mich, UVA, Duke, NW

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:09 pm

A retake could be worth it. Even if you don't score higher I think if you ED early in the cycle you will snag one of the T14. Did you apply to Georgetown/Cornell this cycle? I'm surprised you didn't get in.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby fingersxd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 pm

FiveSermon wrote:A retake could be worth it. Even if you don't score higher I think if you ED early in the cycle you will snag one of the T14. Did you apply to Georgetown/Cornell this cycle? I'm surprised you didn't get in.


Didn't apply to Cornell. Didn't get in to GTown (a bit surprised myself, but since I was applying late I did it in order of deadlines so GTown was towards the end).

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby Kabuo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 pm

How much did you prepare, and do you have reason to believe you will score higher on a retake?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 pm

If you have work experience I would ED to NU next cycle.

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby fakemoney » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Do you really think there's enough time for you to study enough to improve on a 170? That's the key question to me. Also, what your current options/career goals are factor a lot into this. Improving your score could help your chances a little on the WL's -- though I think scoring significantly lower could be a minor negative as well.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby fingersxd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

fakemoney wrote:Do you really think there's enough time for you to study enough to improve on a 170? That's the key question to me. Also, what your current options/career goals are factor a lot into this. Improving your score could help your chances a little on the WL's -- though I think scoring significantly lower could be a minor negative as well.


Don't think I would do significantly lower and since I've heard nothing but bad news from these WL's I kind of see the status quo as WL->Denial and a small sliver of a chance at acceptance if I can improve. And yes, I agree that its doubtful by the June test so I guess the real question is whether I should just reapply altogether?

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: LSAT Retake? Re-apply anyway?

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 pm

So I'm getting some last minute cold feet and could use some advice.

I'm still on 3 of the WLs and though I initially tried studying for the June LSAT, between being super-busy at work, family issues, etc. I realized I wasn't in a position to top my score and am currently planning to attend a T20 with some $$.

I have decent softs (good work experience, honors, LORs, etc.) but nothing particularly unique. I'd consider re-taking in October which would give me time to further prepare, but assuming I was stuck with my current score, is it worth re-applying early?

I'm convinced one of the reasons I struck out in the T14 was late apps. Based on my numbers, think I should land one of MVPBDN if I try again. BUT, it doesn't seem like I would get much $ (if any) at these schools and would also be giving up another year of potentially high earnings if I were to wait. So what do folks think - Worth it to try again? Or should I man up and just try to kill it where I'm at now.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: LSAT Retake?

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 pm

I think you should just go to your T20 with the money and work as hard as you can. If you do well then you'll have a good shot at biglaw and possibly able to transfer to HYS.

nezumi
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: LSAT Retake? Re-apply anyway?

Postby nezumi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:32 pm

fingersxd wrote:So I'm getting some last minute cold feet and could use some advice.

I'm still on 3 of the WLs and though I initially tried studying for the June LSAT, between being super-busy at work, family issues, etc. I realized I wasn't in a position to top my score and am currently planning to attend a T20 with some $$.

I have decent softs (good work experience, honors, LORs, etc.) but nothing particularly unique. I'd consider re-taking in October which would give me time to further prepare, but assuming I was stuck with my current score, is it worth re-applying early?

I'm convinced one of the reasons I struck out in the T14 was late apps. Based on my numbers, think I should land one of MVPBDN if I try again. BUT, it doesn't seem like I would get much $ (if any) at these schools and would also be giving up another year of potentially high earnings if I were to wait. So what do folks think - Worth it to try again? Or should I man up and just try to kill it where I'm at now.



Depends on what T20 you're talking about, if it's UCLA, UT, or Vanderbilt I say go this year for sure, especially if california, texas, or the southeast markets respectively are of any interest to you at all. If those markets happen to be where you would like to be there is no T14 that you could reasonbly get into that would be an upgrade, save for Duke and UVA, as UT is king in texas, stanford and berkeley are out, and even in the case of vanderbilt, Duke is only a slight upgrade, definitely not worth delaying a year(imo) if the southeast is where you want to be however you could ED to UVA, but I still wouldn't want to sit out another year considering you prolly wouldn't get the same $$. If however you are more interested in the northeast than the market of your current T20 or DC more specifically than the southeast as a whole or are at a T20 which isn't UCLA, UT, or Vanderbilt I say reapply for sure.

(Full disclosure I have almost the same numbers and was accepted to a school that was at the time a "T20" last year with $$ (can you guess which one?) after applying around Feb 1 and sat out a year. I applied early this cycle and will be attending Vanderbilt this fall with $$ and couldn't be happier. I'm aiming for Atlanta/Florida market, I didn't ED this cycle because I am super price-sensitive right now, but if I wasn't I would have ED'd to UVA in a heartbeat)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., Baby Gaga, chili_davis, Chipotle85, crimsonknight, Gingerella, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino, lawlawland16, Long shot hero and 35 guests