Loyola-Chicago v. Tulane

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which school, at this point, should I attend?

Poll ended at Tue May 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Loyola University Chicago School of Law (12k award per year)
55%
Tulane University Law School
45%

Total votes: 11

Philosopher1

Loyola-Chicago v. Tulane

Postby Philosopher1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 pm

I won a wait list battle ... Hopefully more will come :)

And I like this thread and forum the most, so I hope it is fine that I post stuff here instead of the choosing a law school forum. I hope everyone is doing well.

Spookyghost

Re: Loyola-Chicago v. Tulane

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:40 pm

What are you looking for, which city do you like more, etc etc etc?

If your preferences are neutral I'd say Loyola.

(Though I am an idiot and voted Tulane without even reading the other choice because of an old undergraduate bias.)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:45 pm

If you have no regional preference go to Tulane. The cost of living in Chicago will offset at least some of that 12k award, and honestly Tulane will give you a better chance at a job than LUC will (this is coming from someone from Chicago who is a LUC undergrad alum). The Chicago market is horrendous right now. Unless you're absolutely deadset on living and working in Chicago post graduation or absolutely HATE NO and the areas around Tulane I would go to Tulane.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 pm

I doubt the COL is that much less at Tulane. LUC will likely leave you with considerably less debt, Tulane @ sticker is pricy

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:42 am

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. This choice is as hard as it gets, from what I can tell. If further wait list movement happens, or if we go back into the past and Tulane does not accept me, then choices are easy.

So, Spooky says LUC but Barbell says Tulane. The thing is, Barbell, I am not "dead set" on Chicago .. but the Chicagoland area is my home, and it would be nice to end up working in or around the city. I suppose I am close to dead set .. does that hurt Tulane? Even though it is extremely uncommon to go from there to Illinois, it isn't tried too often. Who is stopping me from doing such? Do you feel that with a strong undergraduate background and a Tulane Law Degree, I can still be okay trying to head back? But of course, if opportunities open up elsewhere for jobs, then that's great and I'm marching forth. I'm so excited I actually got accepted to a tier 1 top 50 school, and hopefully the rest of the wait list cycle treats me well.

Any other opinions? Tulane or LUC?? Thanks again, all.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:44 am

Location is dispositive, IMO. If you want Chicago, go to Loyola Chicago. If you want the South, go to Tulane.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:49 am

patrickd139 wrote:Location is dispositive, IMO. If you want Chicago, go to Loyola Chicago. If you want the South, go to Tulane.

At the very moment I want to attend Tulane but work in Chicago after. Is that unwise? Something tells me it is not, but I have plenty more research to do and still a long time until the second deposit.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:53 am

Philosopher1 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Location is dispositive, IMO. If you want Chicago, go to Loyola Chicago. If you want the South, go to Tulane.

At the very moment I want to attend Tulane but work in Chicago after. Is that unwise? Something tells me it is not, but I have plenty more research to do and still a long time until the second deposit.

In my opinion, when faced with the choice of two regional schools, one of which is in the region you want to practice, you should go to the school that is in the region where you want to practice. Both are regional schools. Tulane is not in the region that you want to practice. Loyola is. I would go to Loyola.

Is retaking and reapplying an option? Also, what are the stips on the scholarship?

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:13 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Philosopher1 wrote:

In my opinion, when faced with the choice of two regional schools, one of which is in the region you want to practice, you should go to the school that is in the region where you want to practice. Both are regional schools. Tulane is not in the region that you want to practice. Loyola is. I would go to Loyola.

Is retaking and reapplying an option? Also, what are the stips on the scholarship?

Retaking is not an option for me. I will enroll and be a member of one school's Class of 2014. There are no stips on the scholarship. It's, in essence, guaranteed. I hear you on Loyola. Rationally, Loyola might be the best choice. And it would be very convenient. I love Chicago like none other and know the city like the back of my hand. Living near the law school is indeed right smack dab downtown near everything that is in the city I want to work in, and I get $36,000 in aid.

But saying all of that, Tulane Law School is wonderful, at a different level and different tier, and certainly tempting, to say the least. It would also showcase that I am willing to do something different and exciting. And I am fully confident that I can land a job with my undergraduate + Tulane combo, if I choose to go there. I am torn, but I am happy that others are commenting and bringing up good points. I want to be rational and fair to myself if these turn out to be the final two schools I choose between.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 am

Tulane will not help you get back to Chicago, and isn't a good idea at sticker.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm

I still feel so happy I got into a tier 1 school. I'd actually have trouble getting hired in Chicago if I do well in Tulane's great law school? I wanna make the leap but am a little scared idk. Bumping this back to the top. Let's hear some more opinions

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Well, assuming you were coming to Tulane with no connections to Chicago, your chances of getting back there would be relatively slim. Chicago's legal market, as I'm sure you know, is flooded not only from the 500 Illinois schools but also from top graduates of other Midwestern schools such as Wisconsin.

Tulane's reputation seems to be a superficial one - people of an older generation remember it as being the Harvard of the South, but I don't think that many people will argue for that moniker anymore. That being said, it does have a larger national reach than many schools in the lower 40's, but that is generally due to the fact that many people come to Tulane from New England/New York, and return there after graduation. Outside of the Northeast, Tulane remains strongly regional with the vast majority of graduates ending up in Texas or Louisiana.

That being said, you do have connections to Chicago, so you probably have a much better chance than the average Tulane grad of finding a job in Chicago. I don't know what your career goals are, but it sounds to me like your heart is far more set on Tulane than Loyola-Chi, and you should not let us here at TLS talk you out of going there. Just be aware that Tulane's tuition is steep for its ranking, and its job placement struggles the past few years have been pretty significant.

Obviously, if you are near the top of your class at Tulane (or hell, pretty much anywhere outside of TTTT's) you have a good chance at getting a job you want, but you should never ever bank on that going in.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm

If you want to practice in Chicago go to LUC. You will not have a great chance of coming back there with any decent job from Tulane.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm still leaning Tulane. I work in a Chicagoland law firm now, etc. Even from New Orleans, I'll make sure Chicago attorneys who hire know who I am. This seems too good of an opportunity to pass up, unless, of course, further developments happen from other schools.

LUC is still a possibility. Depends on a few things. Tough choice. I May very well attend there. But I think and hope I am now at a point of any decision = it's not a bad decision. I'll see how I feel after I plan a trip and visit. Happy Friday, all!!

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 am

Philosopher1 wrote:I'm still leaning Tulane. I work in a Chicagoland law firm now, etc. Even from New Orleans, I'll make sure Chicago attorneys who hire know who I am. This seems too good of an opportunity to pass up, unless, of course, further developments happen from other schools.

LUC is still a possibility. Depends on a few things. Tough choice. I May very well attend there. But I think and hope I am now at a point of any decision = it's not a bad decision. I'll see how I feel after I plan a trip and visit. Happy Friday, all!!

Sometimes I wonder why people even ask for advice on this board at all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”