Harvard Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby NikaneOkie » Tue May 03, 2011 4:58 pm

ehwilliams2 wrote:Just got my JR1 E-mail! JR1 is tomorrow morning!

Applied: Early October
Held: Early January
WL: Late April


163. 3.4 URM
You must be an awesome individual. That is seriously a complement. They must really want to be friends with you!

and the other poster was a 160, 3.9 URM
You guys are heros!
Last edited by NikaneOkie on Tue May 03, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby splitmuch » Tue May 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Also URM status would be nice to know

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby mel2010 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm

splitmuch wrote:Also URM status would be nice to know

Pardon and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been URM across the board so far. If so, I'm hoping there might be some more news for non-URMs in the next few days...but congrats regardless to those who got offers...that's awesome. :D

ehwilliams2
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby ehwilliams2 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Trust me, I am more shocked than anyone else. And yes, I am a URM as well

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby splitmuch » Tue May 03, 2011 5:03 pm

mel2010 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Also URM status would be nice to know

Pardon and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been URM across the board so far. If so, I'm hoping there might be some more news for non-URMs in the next few days...but congrats regardless to those who got offers...that's awesome. :D


I thought so but I didn't want to assume. Congrats to all three of you!

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Look at it this way-pulling in a bunch of low LSAT URMs may mean they need some of you hi-LSAT WLs to even it out afterwards :wink:

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby mel2010 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 pm

splitmuch wrote:
mel2010 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Also URM status would be nice to know

Pardon and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been URM across the board so far. If so, I'm hoping there might be some more news for non-URMs in the next few days...but congrats regardless to those who got offers...that's awesome. :D


I thought so but I didn't want to assume. Congrats to all three of you!

In my defense, I didn't assume, I stalked :lol:

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby Weirdlog » Tue May 03, 2011 5:10 pm

This is consistent with last year--the first batch last year were all URMs. The rest of us came later.

Any non-URMs get anything?

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby NikaneOkie » Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Look at it this way-pulling in a bunch of low LSAT URMs may mean they need some of you hi-LSAT WLs to even it out afterwards :wink:


I approve of all of ElvisAaron's comments I think :)

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

mel2010 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Also URM status would be nice to know

Pardon and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been URM across the board so far.


looks like it...I'm half PR. PM for stats.
Last edited by gatorgirl4life on Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby splitmuch » Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Look at it this way-pulling in a bunch of low LSAT URMs may mean they need some of you hi-LSAT WLs to even it out afterwards :wink:

I like the way you think. To be honest with my GPA I'm a little embarrassed to even have any hope whatsoever. But they held me and then WL me so I guess there was something in my PS or recs they liked (which is odd because while I liked it other schools haven't been all that keen on my app.)

REBeLlion
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby REBeLlion » Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Look at it this way-pulling in a bunch of low LSAT URMs may mean they need some of you hi-LSAT WLs to even it out afterwards :wink:


I approve of all of ElvisAaron's comments I think :)


+1

mallen
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby mallen » Tue May 03, 2011 5:25 pm

so, throwin a curve ball toward this thread's current speculation.

Also recieved the JR1 email. High LSAT, not-so-high GPA. URM.

What's the data as far as applicants who recieved post-wait list JR1's and were later rejected?

Just outta curiosity...

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby saito816 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm

splitmuch wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Look at it this way-pulling in a bunch of low LSAT URMs may mean they need some of you hi-LSAT WLs to even it out afterwards :wink:

I like the way you think. To be honest with my GPA I'm a little embarrassed to even have any hope whatsoever. But they held me and then WL me so I guess there was something in my PS or recs they liked (which is odd because while I liked it other schools haven't been all that keen on my app.)


+1, exactly how I feel, except with the LSAT more that GPA

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby splitmuch » Tue May 03, 2011 5:37 pm

saito816 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Look at it this way-pulling in a bunch of low LSAT URMs may mean they need some of you hi-LSAT WLs to even it out afterwards :wink:

I like the way you think. To be honest with my GPA I'm a little embarrassed to even have any hope whatsoever. But they held me and then WL me so I guess there was something in my PS or recs they liked (which is odd because while I liked it other schools haven't been all that keen on my app.)


+1, exactly how I feel, except with the LSAT more that GPA



With our powers combined combined....we are Captain HYS. Or TTTrash. lol. Edited to reflect that your LSAT isn't really a TTT score but my GPA is.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby d34d9823 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:38 pm

mallen wrote:so, throwin a curve ball toward this thread's current speculation.

Also recieved the JR1 email. High LSAT, not-so-high GPA. URM.

What's the data as far as applicants who recieved post-wait list JR1's and were later rejected?

Just outta curiosity...

Common sense says you're in unless you totally flub the interview. He wouldn't waste his time this late in the cycle. Dunno if we have data.

Student13
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby Student13 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm Cuban which is not a URM right? So does that mean there's still hope for me?!

Student13
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby Student13 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Student13 wrote:I'm Cuban which is not a URM right? So does that mean there's still hope for me?!

In general, the answer is "sort of - not really." But individual schools do things by their own standards, and Harvard has its own Cuban-American student association (in the undergrad) and a Cuban-American UG admissions officer, so they might consider Cuban students as minority students (per their own standards). In your case, the answer is "maybe."

I realize this isn't an exceptionally helpful post, but that's the best that I can offer you. It is probably the best that anyone who isn't affiliated with Harvard can offer you.



Thank you! It actually did help. This is what I figured. My LSAT score is so low that I kind of saw me being waitlisted as a joke and haven't really tried sending them extra information because of this. But now seeing that low URM scores are getting JR1s is making me regret my decision. Sending in my LOCI tomorrow!

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby mcweanis » Tue May 03, 2011 7:43 pm

why am i white

RAWRRRRR

User avatar
Superiordesign
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby Superiordesign » Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 pm

I just received a JR1 off of the waitlist after having a pre waitlist JR1. I know I should be excited, but I am so nervous. Does anyone know if JR typically asks us new or more probing questions if this is JR1b? I don't want to be redundant..

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby saito816 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Student13 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Student13 wrote:I'm Cuban which is not a URM right? So does that mean there's still hope for me?!

In general, the answer is "sort of - not really." But individual schools do things by their own standards, and Harvard has its own Cuban-American student association (in the undergrad) and a Cuban-American UG admissions officer, so they might consider Cuban students as minority students (per their own standards). In your case, the answer is "maybe."

I realize this isn't an exceptionally helpful post, but that's the best that I can offer you. It is probably the best that anyone who isn't affiliated with Harvard can offer you.



Thank you! It actually did help. This is what I figured. My LSAT score is so low that I kind of saw me being waitlisted as a joke and haven't really tried sending them extra information because of this. But now seeing that low URM scores are getting JR1s is making me regret my decision. Sending in my LOCI tomorrow!


I actually never sent a LOCI in and got one of the JR1 emails today, I figured they know they're Harvard so they probably know exactly how bad I want to get in, without me telling them. :|

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby mel2010 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Superiordesign wrote:I just received a JR1 off of the waitlist after having a pre waitlist JR1. I know I should be excited, but I am so nervous. Does anyone know if JR typically asks us new or more probing questions if this is JR1b? I don't want to be redundant..

For the real answer you'd have to find someone from that position last year(s) on TLS or LSN. My two cents is that it's such a small sample that it's probably somewhat unique in each instance. I'd be prepared to answer the same questions (probably in different ways)...does his email not give you any details? Also be prepared to talk about what you've been up to since you talked before, and be prepared for him to ask you to elaborate on things you said either in the initial JR1 or in any updated materials you sent. Good luck!

billyanks2
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby billyanks2 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Edit: redacted for appropriateness.
Last edited by billyanks2 on Wed May 04, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 03, 2011 10:42 pm

billyanks2 wrote:
mcweanis wrote:why am i white

RAWRRRRR


+1


I know you guys are being funny but ... there isn't anything funny about being a URM.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Congrats everyone who got a JR email! I am jealous! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, AustinLu, AZnative, okf731 and 15 guests