Harvard Waitlist 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pintobeanx1

New

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2011

Post by pintobeanx1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:59 pm

I know at this point it's unlikely, but for you all waiting, what are the logistics of moving to Cambridge at the drop of a hat, if admitted once classes start? What if you've already started at another school?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:15 pm

pintobeanx1 wrote:I know at this point it's unlikely, but for you all waiting, what are the logistics of moving to Cambridge at the drop of a hat, if admitted once classes start? What if you've already started at another school?
I think finding a place wouldn't be that hard. it seems every other day in the admitted students site someone is saying they are still looking for a roommate. I think three this past week. Cambridge is also close to a few other towns so there is plenty of housing in the 20 min distance range. I live across the street from the law school and the building across from me has a banner saying they have spots and are no fee. The rent here isn't cheap though. one bedrooms are going for about 1600/mo near the school. Hope that helped.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Im in ur waitlist, takin ur spotz
hey man i hope you get in. You've been dedicated to the WL from the start.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Im in ur waitlist, takin ur spotz
hey man i hope you get in. You've been dedicated to the WL from the start.
Thanks!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
pintobeanx1 wrote:I know at this point it's unlikely, but for you all waiting, what are the logistics of moving to Cambridge at the drop of a hat, if admitted once classes start? What if you've already started at another school?
I think finding a place wouldn't be that hard. it seems every other day in the admitted students site someone is saying they are still looking for a roommate. I think three this past week. Cambridge is also close to a few other towns so there is plenty of housing in the 20 min distance range. I live across the street from the law school and the building across from me has a banner saying they have spots and are no fee. The rent here isn't cheap though. one bedrooms are going for about 1600/mo near the school. Hope that helped.
Wait, you ended up at HLS? I thought you were totally all over Yale once you got in there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:25 am

swampthang wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Wait, you ended up at HLS? I thought you were totally all over Yale once you got in there?
I visited both and I like Harvard more. Plus I'm still waiting to hear if I got into HBS. I want to do a JD/MBA.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
swampthang wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
I visited both and I like Harvard more. Plus I'm still waiting to hear if I got into HBS. I want to do a JD/MBA.
Shame Harvard doesn't shave a year like you can do with Penn Law/Wharton. I was actually really surprised to see how limited HLS's "cross-disciplinary" offerings were, although it's possible I didn't look in the right places.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:04 pm

swampthang wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
swampthang wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Shame Harvard doesn't shave a year like you can do with Penn Law/Wharton. I was actually really surprised to see how limited HLS's "cross-disciplinary" offerings were, although it's possible I didn't look in the right places.
Yeah it does suck but with that Penn program you have to go to school year round. It's still better but it's not like you just do 3 yrs. Harvard does have some cross-discipline offerings but it's clearly not Stanford or a place like that where you can just take about anything and it counts. I really hope I get into HBS.

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:46 pm

If any of you got off the waitlist at this point, would you drop everything and just go?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

peppermintpatty

New

Post by peppermintpatty » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Yep! Did you get the email too?

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm

calvmpv wrote:If any of you got off the waitlist at this point, would you drop everything and just go?
As with all legal questions, it depends. If I had a full ride at a T6 and was comfortably settled half-way across the country? Probably not. If my plan was 75k at Georgetown with dreams of academia, absolutely. Everything in between really depends on your situation and aspiration.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 am

calvmpv wrote:If any of you got off the waitlist at this point, would you drop everything and just go?
did you guys just get in? Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you this year.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:41 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
did you guys just get in? Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you this year.
I would imagine they got the standard pre-Orientation WL email making sure they would actually attend in a heartbeat if admitted, but I've been wrong before.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

swampthang wrote:[

I would imagine they got the standard pre-Orientation WL email making sure they would actually attend in a heartbeat if admitted, but I've been wrong before.
Correct.

scoutspring

New

Post by scoutspring » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 am

Has anyone heard anything since the last Friday email check-in?

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:04 am

Radio silence since last Friday's email here. No updates from anyone on TLS or LSN either. I'd guess there are still a handful of us in the running and few if any people dropped out this week. It's also my suspicion that they'll probably try to use the waitlist to replace any drop-out with a like candidate to maintain their carefully crafted class balance at this point, so it makes sense that they'd keep a smattering of apps open to cover contingencies. In other words, don't just pray for drop-outs: pray someone like you drops...

scoutspring

New

Post by scoutspring » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:33 am

boushi wrote:Radio silence since last Friday's email here. No updates from anyone on TLS or LSN either. I'd guess there are still a handful of us in the running and few if any people dropped out this week. It's also my suspicion that they'll probably try to use the waitlist to replace any drop-out with a like candidate to maintain their carefully crafted class balance at this point, so it makes sense that they'd keep a smattering of apps open to cover contingencies. In other words, don't just pray for drop-outs: pray someone like you drops...
Since registration was yesterday morning, shouldn't they already know what, if any, spaces they have? Any idea why we still haven't been cut?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:24 am

scoutspring wrote:
boushi wrote:Radio silence since last Friday's email here. No updates from anyone on TLS or LSN either. I'd guess there are still a handful of us in the running and few if any people dropped out this week. It's also my suspicion that they'll probably try to use the waitlist to replace any drop-out with a like candidate to maintain their carefully crafted class balance at this point, so it makes sense that they'd keep a smattering of apps open to cover contingencies. In other words, don't just pray for drop-outs: pray someone like you drops...
Since registration was yesterday morning, shouldn't they already know what, if any, spaces they have? Any idea why we still haven't been cut?
I remember hearing anecdotally about some waitlisters getting the nod during the first week of classes two or three years ago. Weird things happen. I imagine they'll just wait till they are sure they have absolutely nothing to lose by cutting us. I guess only they know when that point will be; all we can know is that, as long as we haven't been cut, it probably has not yet come to pass...

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:23 am

I was told by someone who worked orientation that there werent any no-shows...idk if thats the only indicator, but I believe it was no-shows last yr that let a cpl WL'ers in...

scoutspring

New

Post by scoutspring » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:20 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I was told by someone who worked orientation that there werent any no-shows...idk if thats the only indicator, but I believe it was no-shows last yr that let a cpl WL'ers in...
If that's the case then maybe the reason for no final-cut (even after they knew there were no droppers) is just that the waitlist is now a safety net for students who may still drop after registering, which most likely wouldn't happen.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:51 am

scoutspring wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:I was told by someone who worked orientation that there werent any no-shows...idk if thats the only indicator, but I believe it was no-shows last yr that let a cpl WL'ers in...
If that's the case then maybe the reason for no final-cut (even after they knew there were no droppers) is just that the waitlist is now a safety net for students who may still drop after registering, which most likely wouldn't happen.
There has been at least one person I know of who left on Friday (and is not coming back this year). Hopefully that gives someone a spot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
scoutspring wrote:
There has been at least one person I know of who left on Friday (and is not coming back this year). Hopefully that gives someone a spot.
Strange. Why would someone enroll, attend Orientation, and then suddenly leave??

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 pm

they get second thoughts, or decided that they arent ready/ its not for them/ decided to go with the other option available/ family emergency or health issue, etc

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Dinged just now, same email the last round got.

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Likewise counting myself in the preftigious Last-People-To-Be-Dinged group. Email came a little bit ago. And thus my cycle ends with a whimper, and not a bang.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”