Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which option

a
78%
b
15%
c
7%

Total votes: 41

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Last edited by Ignatius Reilly on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

src42

Re: Late applicant...many waitlists

Postby src42 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Definitely reapply. No need to retake. You should get $$ from MVP on down as long as you apply early enough and write a good personal statement. You definitely underperformed your numbers.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Wait, see what money you get from a T14.

Consider another retake if you think you could improve up to a 174+

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Reapply.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:27 pm

bdubs wrote:Wait, see what money you get from a T14.

Last edited by Ignatius Reilly on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
bdubs wrote:Wait, see what money you get from a T14.

I've already taken it three times. I have a legit addendum for the early lsats, and I've underperformed my pts everytime.

You might be able to find a sponsor for a 4th, although you don't really need to take a 171. You would probably get substantially more money if you did though.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I wouldn't retake. With a 171/3.8 you should get into most T14s, some with $$.

dukey

Postby dukey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:35 pm

you should Definitely reapply. good shot at $$ T14

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:19 pm

It would help to know your options. Based on one of your earlier posts, the Top 30 law school seems to be either Illinois or Notre Dame. The waitlists are unclear, but may be Michigan, Penn and/or Georgetown.

Without knowing your specific options, the only reasonable advice is to reapply next year.

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 pm

can't you do c) during the summer and if you don't succeed just do a)?
btw, have you seen r6philly's profile yet? he reapplied because he was a late applicant last year and he's doing really really well this cycle!

dukey

Postby dukey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 pm

justhoping wrote:can't you do c) during the summer and if you don't succeed just do a)?
btw, have you seen r6philly's profile yet? he reapplied because he was a late applicant last year and he's doing really really well this cycle!

You could, but keep in mind that they do have access to past files. And since you check the reapplicant box on next year's application, do understand that everything is taken into consideration...so essentially your app strategy begins Now if you so choose to send out your LOCIs.

For instance, if, in your LOCIs, you indicate that you'd withdraw from other schools if accepted at X, Y, and Z law schools, you run the risk of seeming less genuine when you don't ED to any one of them next cycle.

Also, OP might consider reapplying simply for the sake of receiving $$/$$$.

esq

Postby esq » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:I’d really like to clerk and have a shot at academia. I’m not interested in biglaw…the hours would destroy my soul. Part of me wants to get a Phd.

I choose option D: Get a Phd.

Your shot at teaching with a JD will be much slimmer than your shot at teaching through a Phd, not that hiring in academia is particularly great for anyone right now, but still. Also from the sounds of this post, you will be happier pursuing a Phd because the culture will be 100% academia, rather than the corporate atmosphere that you are likely to feel from many of the students in law school. And the reality of it is that you will likely end up in soul crushing work with much more debt through your JD even if you aren't working big law, sorry to have to break it to ya.

If you have the freedom (lack of responsibility, no family obligations, time to dick around for 5-7 years), grow your hair out, purchase a beret, and enjoy getting a Phd in whatever course of study you're interested in.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:47 am

CanadianWolf wrote:It would help to know your options. Based on one of your earlier posts, the Top 30 law school seems to be either Illinois or Notre Dame. The waitlists are unclear, but may be Michigan, Penn and/or Georgetown.

Without knowing your specific options, the only reasonable advice is to reapply next year.

Last edited by Ignatius Reilly on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 am

Columbia, Harvard, Penn & Michigan will help keep your options open. Illinois may face too much competition from Chicago & Northwestern & other top 10 law schools. Georgetown's alternate (Option B) curriculum might be of interset.

If you reapply next year, then you need to consider both admissions chances & liklihood of scholarship or financial aid grants at each of your target schools. Based on your results this cycle, Michigan, Penn, Virginia & Georgetown seem likely to accept you with merit money if you apply early.
If accepted this admissions cycle at Harvard or Columbia, then you should attend even without grant aid if feasible since they are your best bets to further your goals of academia & clerkships.
Overall, it seems as if you can do much better than your current option. For example, an ED application to Virginia next cycle should yield an acceptance with money. Same with respect to Michigan, Penn, Northwestern & Georgetown. Since you are currently employed & working on getting published, reapplying should result in substantially better opportunities without disruption to your life.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”