HELP me decide please..

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Help Me Decide Please

Loyola LA (87k)
48%
USD (64k)
5%
UC Hastings (5k grant)
5%
UC Davis (0.00)
14%
Chapman (90% scholarship)
29%

Total votes: 21

Lawstudent87

HELP me decide please..

Postby Lawstudent87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey everyone I am trying to pick a law school, i want to plan to practice in so cal in the future...any suggestions? I know Davis is the highest ranked option but i am worried about the debt.

EstboundNDwn

Re: HELP me decide please..

Postby EstboundNDwn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Lawstudent87 wrote:Hey everyone I am trying to pick a law school, i want to plan to practice in so cal in the future...any suggestions? I know Davis is the highest ranked option but i am worried about the debt.

Where in CA?

Lawstudent87

Postby Lawstudent87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Hopefully Southern Cali

kswiss1114

Postby kswiss1114 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Honestly I would knock off Chapman and Hastings (because Chapman is not as good as the others, and Hastings is going to put you into maybe even more debt than Davis), and then if you are set on SoCal really weigh my options between USD and Loyola. Both are good and your scholarships are going to put you in a good place when you graduate. If you like San Diego more choose USD, and I think you might have a better shot in that market anyway as you will be competing (a little) less with UCLA and USC and Irvine.

I know how you feel on Davis though as I am also considering school there, it is excellent and highly ranked, but remember that you have really good scholarships to other good schools and Davis is like only the 5th highest law school (and Irvine isn't ranked yet) in Cali (isn't that insane?) with no money. If you are willing to do it, I wouldn't argue against you at all, but I think financially I'd say USD or Loyola.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:44 pm

None of these offers are financially appealing considering Chapman is awful, UCH/UCD cost too much at sticker or near it, and the stipulation on your Loyola scholarship means that you are more likely to lose your scholarship than keep it.

Since you have a 1/3 chance of losing your Loyola scholly after a year, I would divide the 2L/3L amounts by 3 and then decide (making it something like a 50k scholly). So the question is, are UCD/UCH (which place just fine in SoCal) worth 50k or so more than Loyola?

UCD/UCH are probably comparably priced since UCH is giving you a scholly and UCD has far cheaper CoL. I'd say pick between UCH/UCD/Loyola though none of them are that great (and I'd probably lean towards Loyola and pray to your deity of choice that you keep that scholarship).

Lawstudent87

Postby Lawstudent87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:45 pm

awesome..thanks i have been leaning towards Loyola so its reassuring.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”