Wisconsin v. Chicago-Kent IP

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Wisconsin v. Kent IP

Wisconsin
49%
Kent
51%

Total votes: 35

fizz

Wisconsin v. Chicago-Kent IP

Postby fizz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 am

I'm looking for some advice for a friend on which of these would be the better choice. He has a science background and would like to study IP law or some sort of science-related law. He likes Kent's program for his interests better, but Wisconsin is ranked higher. Assuming costs are about the same, which would you choose and why. Thanks.

bhan87

Re: Wisconsin v. Chicago-Kent IP

Postby bhan87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:19 am

When you're out of the T-14, location / debt matters a whole lot more than rank.

Does your friend want to live / work in the Wisconsin area? If so, then Wisconsin because Wisconsin's placement in their home market is much stronger than Chicago-Kent. Also the COA is much lower. Outside their local market, however, I doubt there will be very many employment opportunities

Chicago-Kent grads face very tough competition in the Chicago market, so WI is a safer choice imo, but only if he wouldn't mind working in the area.

fizz

Postby fizz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 am

He would prefer working in the Chicago area over Wisconsin. The other place he said he might like to work in is DC. He feels like Kent may be the better fit for him because of its program, etc. but is not sure about turning down Wisconsin.
Last edited by fizz on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:30 am

I think in these situations w/ the disparity between the schools and Kent not placing well in its regional market anyway - he/she has to roll with Wisconsin.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43 am

fizz wrote:He would prefer working in the Chicago area over Wisconsin. The other place he said he might like to work in is DC. He feels like Kent may be the better fit for him because of its program, etc. but is not sure about turning down Wisconsin.

I doubt Chicago Kent places well in DC, if at all. Chicago Kent is fine if you want to work in Chicago. I'm no certain on their placement in Chicago big law, but I'm guessing you have to do pretty well to get it. Wisconsin will give you more regional options. They place in Chicago, Madison, MIlwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul.

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:06 am

I would say the fact that Kent is run by a technology institute and has a specific concentration for IP that it would be the better choice. Kent is in the Top 10 for IP in the country, alongside much higher ranked schools, and Wisconsin doesn't even had a certificate/program for IP. That being said, your friend could probably still take the science-related courses at Wisconsin and learn the same principles.

Money is another concern, as Wisconsin will be a little cheaper cost of living and tuition-wise. Chicago would be quite a pretty penny more expensive to live in than Madison. Kent is quite expensive.

It will all come down to finding the balance your friend wants between cost and education.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 am

VTOrange19 wrote:I would say the fact that Kent is run by a technology institute and has a specific concentration for IP that it would be the better choice. Kent is in the Top 10 for IP in the country, alongside much higher ranked schools, and Wisconsin doesn't even had a certificate/program for IP. That being said, your friend could probably still take the science-related courses at Wisconsin and learn the same principles.

Money is another concern, as Wisconsin will be a little cheaper cost of living and tuition-wise. Chicago would be quite a pretty penny more expensive to live in than Madison. Kent is quite expensive.

It will all come down to finding the balance your friend wants between cost and education.
Specialty rankings don't matter to employers, IP certificates matter less, and schools teach neither science in IP courses nor IP in science courses.

barry

Postby barry » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 am

Wisconsin and its not even close i think he would even have an easier time getting a chi job from wisconsin.... i a way its true that outside T14 rankings dont matter as much i would say T30 is still better than the rest especially w/i the same geographic area like the midwest (i know wisconsin is a little outside the T30 but not much)

fizz

Postby fizz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:20 am

He has a scholarship at Kent, so the cost of attendance and cost of living end up making Wisconsin and Kent about the same, with Kent slightly cheaper.

jelly

Postby jelly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:30 am

If costs factoring in living expenses are the same (which you said they are), I would recommend Kent for IP. Also, your friend wants to practice in Chicago, not Wisconsin. There are plenty of Wisconsin grads that have a hard time finding anything in Chicago. For IP, he should have some good options coming out of Kent. He may not get DC, but there is a chance (Kent does place some IP people in DC). Regardless, he should be able to do well in Chicago with Kent.

runnergal

Postby runnergal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 am

jelly wrote:If costs factoring in living expenses are the same (which you said they are), I would recommend Kent for IP. Also, your friend wants to practice in Chicago, not Wisconsin. There are plenty of Wisconsin grads that have a hard time finding anything in Chicago. For IP, he should have some good options coming out of Kent. He may not get DC, but there is a chance (Kent does place some IP people in DC). Regardless, he should be able to do well in Chicago with Kent.

Yeah, I second this. You'd be surprised how few Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. grads actually end up in Chicago. Yes, it is also due partly to self-selection, but many of them simply have a hard time finding a job there. The local connections will help a lot, and Kent's guaranteed externship after the first year will help too. Also, for IP it really is a great school and has a strong reputation for that area. If your friend wants Chicago, I don't see the point of going to Wisconsin, especially when Kent's program is better for what he wants to do.

administrator

Postby administrator » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Kent for IP. Better opportunites and better placement than Wisconsin for IP. Also, a stronger IP alumni network is useful to have for jobs, etc. As far as the poster who said Wisconsin does better in Chi, that's not true. Wisconsin may be the stronger regional school because it places in more nearby markets, but Kent places better than Wisconsin in Chicago.

sunshine123

Postby sunshine123 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:02 am

bartleby wrote:I think in these situations w/ the disparity between the schools and Kent not placing well in its regional market anyway - he/she has to roll with Wisconsin.

Kent has a higher percentage of its grads employed at graduation than Wisconsin according to US News, so this comment as well as the comment about Wisconsin's placement in their home market being "much stronger" than Kent is off.
A good friend of mine actually chose Kent for IP over some very prestigious schools like Wash U., UCLA and Fordham. He's very happy with his decision and has no regrets. Of course it helps that he now earns a great salary, but I think it still speaks to the strength of the program.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:16 am

sunshine123 wrote:
bartleby wrote:I think in these situations w/ the disparity between the schools and Kent not placing well in its regional market anyway - he/she has to roll with Wisconsin.

Kent has a higher percentage of its grads employed at graduation than Wisconsin according to US News, so this comment as well as the comment about Wisconsin's placement in their home market being "much stronger" than Kent is off.
A good friend of mine actually chose Kent for IP over some very prestigious schools like Wash U., UCLA and Fordham. He's very happy with his decision and has no regrets. Of course it helps that he now earns a great salary, but I think it still speaks to the strength of the program.

I think we all know that most if not all schools fudge the numbers for US News. Chicago-Kent is a good school and a solid choice, but it's still in a tough market. I'd say it's analogous to going to American in DC, except maybe tougher because you have two T-14 schools to compete with in Chicago. OP, if you are dead set on Chicago and Chicago alone, then go to Kent. You'll be in the market and have 3 years to network within the city.

don_geis

Postby don_geis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 am

I would say Chicago-Kent for IP. I know a lot of 3L's at Wisconsin and 99% of them do not have jobs. Not only that, but they don't even have any leads for jobs. Wisconsin is an over-saturated legal market and does not place well outside of the state. So, if you know you want IP, and a chance to compete in Chicago, then I would definitely say Chicago-Kent. If you want to be scrapping for work in small rural Wisconsin towns, then I say Wisconsin.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 am

Flips88 wrote:
sunshine123 wrote:

I think we all know that most if not all schools fudge the numbers for US News. Chicago-Kent is a good school and a solid choice, but it's still in a tough market. I'd say it's analogous to going to American in DC, except maybe tougher because you have two T-14 schools to compete with in Chicago. OP, if you are dead set on Chicago and Chicago alone, then go to Kent. You'll be in the market and have 3 years to network within the city.

Not just U. Chicago and Northwestern but also UIUC and all those other schools that feed into Chicago. But, tbf, I don't know jack about IP. I've read on this website that IP is one of the safer options if you have the UG degree or background.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”