How binding are LOCI commitments?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nammertat

Re: How binding are LOCI commitments?

Postby Nammertat » Wed May 16, 2012 5:51 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:I was in a messy situation where I used strong language in a LOCI and didn't end up depositing at the school. I felt awfully guilty at first because the person who admitted me actually guilt tripped me when I withdrew, which I found to be really unprofessional. but... Umm you guys waitlisted me, so I am obviously already your sloppy seconds anyway.

Of course you're going to use strong language to get off of waitlists. If you say "If admitted, I may consider attending" do you really think they'll give you a second look? If they're not making you sign anything binding or making you withdraw from other schools, I think it's fine to go against the sentiments expressed in your LOCI. Think of it this way. You were already inconvenienced by being waitlisted, you're faced with a really difficult and significant decision to give a school up to $175,000, and you probably already paid about $100 just to apply and sit on a WL... you are playing the same game that they are, to find your best fit. It's a big decision for you, and it's ok to be self-interested. bottom line is, there are certain times when it's inappropriate to say you're committing to something and then back out. this is not one of them. sorry I'm not sorry...

Yuuuuuuuup

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks y'all I appreciate the support. I've come to terms with it and am planning to withdraw tonight.

blurose

Postby blurose » Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 am

Last edited by blurose on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masala716

Postby Masala716 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:23 pm

I got guilt-tripped when I let a school know that I got in off the waitlist somewhere else and I was withdrawing my offer. Honestly unless the dean of admissions at your law school is the Dan Gilbert of Law School deans, it's not a big deal if you decide to take your talents elsewhere. It's "not personal" when a school rejects or wait lists you right? They want the best applicants they can get, and rightfully so. In the same manner, it's not personal when you reject them. The only thing you should consider is what is best for you. Nothing else matters.

rma

Postby rma » Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Masala716 wrote:I got guilt-tripped when I let a school know that I got in off the waitlist somewhere else and I was withdrawing my offer. Honestly unless the dean of admissions at your law school is the Dan Gilbert of Law School deans, it's not a big deal if you decide to take your talents elsewhere. It's "not personal" when a school rejects or wait lists you right? They want the best applicants they can get, and rightfully so. In the same manner, it's not personal when you reject them. The only thing you should consider is what is best for you. Nothing else matters.

:lol:

As unprofessional as that letter was, I would have loved it if I were a Cavs fans.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu May 17, 2012 10:30 pm

I had this issue and the school just wished me luck. They honestly don't care if it's not ED. It is pretty TTT if the dean takes it personally and indicative of their troubled position.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 pm

deans come and go all the time.. so chances are one of the deans you wrote an LOCI won't be there in 3 years anyways...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”