Wake Forest versus Alabama Tuscaloosa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
norway

New

Wake Forest versus Alabama Tuscaloosa

Post by norway » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:38 pm

I have been accepted to Wake (no $) and to Alabama (20k) - am not from the South, and wonder which may have the best job prospect in Washington later. Money is also a concern.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest versus Alabama Tuscaloosa

Post by Spookyghost » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Washington State or DC?

Though, I doubt either school is particularly fantastic for either.

norway

New

Post by norway » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 pm

DC.

iin any case, for someone not set on working in the south, which option would you have chosen?

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:52 pm

norway wrote:DC.

iin any case, for someone not set on working in the south, which option would you have chosen?
Alabama, simply for the debt. Alabama is a cheaper school, you have a scholly, and Tuscaloosa's cost of living is about as low as you can get. Not only that, but I don't know if you've ever been to Wake's campus, but it is one of the worst college campuses I personally have ever been to - ugly and crowded. Winston-Salem doesn't really have a lot going for it either.

Most people on TLS will tell you that D.C. is a huge crap shoot anyway, it's incredibly hard to break that market regardless of where you go to school. However, if you don't want to be in the south, neither school is of particularly great location.

From Wake, I'd say, you'd have a better shot at ending up in the northeast somewhere if that is your desire, but a lot of graduates stay in NC or go to Virginia/Georgia, but they seem to have a fair amount in NY.

Alabama, however, is probably going to make you end up in the south. Keep that in mind.

However, I may be a bit biased because I am from the south, but even so I'd take Alabama simply for the $ differences.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm

both schools are longs shots for DC. Although I disagree with the above posters depiction of WF (it is a much better place then his post leads on), I have to agree with going to bama because of the financial difference. (Also a southern poster here)

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 pm

'Bama. It will be $60k+ cheaper than Wake.

You'd probably have to make top 10% (maybe top 20% if you are REALLY lucky) to get to D.C. at either of these schools without solid connections. Wake might have a better shot at D.C. (maybe a few % better), but it's definitely not enough of a better shot to turn down that much $$ from Bama.
Spookyghost wrote:Not only that, but I don't know if you've ever been to Wake's campus, but it is one of the worst college campuses I personally have ever been to - ugly and crowded. Winston-Salem doesn't really have a lot going for it either.
I definitely disagree with this. I liked Wake's campus. It's not the best campus ever, but honestly I would consider it above-average. And, Winston Salem isn't great, but neither is Tuscaloosa, IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”