Successful methods to get off wait-lists?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cucullu

Re: Successful methods to get off wait-lists?

Postby cucullu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 pm

gotcha wrote:Constructively though: Pray. A lot.

TITCR. (I got into my top choice. Just sayin'.)

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 pm

You could withdraw, that'd certainly get you off the waitlist.

xxinfinity

Postby xxinfinity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks for the great (and interesting) advice everyone!

I found this to be particularly useful. I have heard many people tell me to simply tell the school that I will attend of admitted. I think I will do that for my reaches and maybe others.

U of MN and USC are the ones I can remember that told me they look forward to my transfer app. I'm actually w/l at Cal.

I also heard - from an admissions panel at a forum - that some schools don't like a lot of contact from w/l students and it's actually a turn-off while others welcome it.
Case in point - Cal basically told me that nothing I do will make a diff on my position while Michigan encouraged me to send extra info. This extends to many other schools that I was w/l at. So I feel apprehensive bombarding the school w/ info. I think I'll be selective.

I was just wondering if people sent in maybe an additional LOR, another essay, addendum (on what?), simply a LOCI, special photograph with exotic pose, etc., and what worked?

thanks again!

MyManKanye wrote:The only thing I know is to send LOCI to all schools. If you have one that you really want to attend, you could word the letter along the lines of "I will definitely attend if admitted." That helps in particular for schools whose numbers you exceed. They often waitlist people who they suspect won't attend and if you write them saying you will, generally you can get in.

If you're waitlisted on a reach (like me) I think all you can do is keep in contact (I'm trying to walk a fine line between very interested and annoying) and hope.

Although I do have to say any school that told me they wanted to see my transfer next year would be automatically black listed. Talk about a crock of shit.

dtl

Postby dtl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Seriously though the best (and only as far as I know) thing you can do to influence it is to write an eloquent and convincing LOCI including something new and exciting that you are doing that is applicable to the school or studying law. A new letter of recommendation that correlates to the new and exciting thing is also helpful.

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 am

xxinfinity wrote:Thanks for the great (and interesting) advice everyone!

I found this to be particularly useful. I have heard many people tell me to simply tell the school that I will attend of admitted. I think I will do that for my reaches and maybe others.

U of MN and USC are the ones I can remember that told me they look forward to my transfer app. I'm actually w/l at Cal.

I also heard - from an admissions panel at a forum - that some schools don't like a lot of contact from w/l students and it's actually a turn-off while others welcome it.
Case in point - Cal basically told me that nothing I do will make a diff on my position while Michigan encouraged me to send extra info. This extends to many other schools that I was w/l at. So I feel apprehensive bombarding the school w/ info. I think I'll be selective.

I was just wondering if people sent in maybe an additional LOR, another essay, addendum (on what?), simply a LOCI, special photograph with exotic pose, etc., and what worked?

thanks again!

Michigan specific: If you did not write a "Why Michigan?" essay with your initial application, your LOCI is a chance to remedy that situation. Michigan and Penn <3 applicants who <3 them.

Yale specific (if applicable): LOCI only.

Harvard specific (if applicable): LOCI targeted to your specific interest in Harvard (I'd do it like the JR1 questions: "Why L school? Why Harvard?") and substantive updates (new transcripts, major accomplishments).

I'd be careful to be sincere in your wording; I'd save "If admitted, I will attend" for your number one choice--the school you'd drop the others for like a hot potato. For the other top contenders, maybe something like "____ would be a very a attractive choice." Others feel free to dispute me. I take my own "word of honor" perhaps a bit too seriously, and perhaps to my own detriment.

xxinfinity

Postby xxinfinity » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:06 pm

p.s. Cal = Berkeley

blahman72

Postby blahman72 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:21 pm

I was considering writing or calling a school stating I would be willing to even attend their day or night part-time program in order to be accepted off the wait-list. Has anyone else tried this, if so how did it go?

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

cucullu wrote:
xxinfinity wrote:Thanks for the great (and interesting) advice everyone!

thanks again!

Michigan specific: If you did not write a "Why Michigan?" essay with your initial application, your LOCI is a chance to remedy that situation. Michigan and Penn <3 applicants who <3 them.

Yale specific (if applicable): LOCI only.

Harvard specific (if applicable): LOCI targeted to your specific interest in Harvard (I'd do it like the JR1 questions: "Why L school? Why Harvard?") and substantive updates (new transcripts, major accomplishments).

I'd be careful to be sincere in your wording; I'd save "If admitted, I will attend" for your number one choice--the school you'd drop the others for like a hot potato. For the other top contenders, maybe something like "____ would be a very a attractive choice." Others feel free to dispute me. I take my own "word of honor" perhaps a bit too seriously, and perhaps to my own detriment.

What makes you say this? Should I not send a new LOR then?

xxinfinity

Postby xxinfinity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 am

sort of unrelated

but would anyone know - that if one goes to a school w/ a scholarship, if they decide to transfer out - do they have to pay that scholarship back? or is that only in the case if something is signed, like a promissory note?

thanks!

fragged

Postby fragged » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 am

dtl wrote:
gotcha wrote:
chimp wrote:There is only ONE sure-fire method: Withdraw.

haha

Constructively though: Pray. A lot.

Opposite of constructive

Might as well try http://myworld.ebay.com/moonstruck9000/ ... 4340.l2559

WTF? She sold 60 "Hot & Horny" sex spells for $8.95 each and I'm going to law school?

callen7828

Postby callen7828 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:49 am

xxinfinity wrote:sort of unrelated

but would anyone know - that if one goes to a school w/ a scholarship, if they decide to transfer out - do they have to pay that scholarship back? or is that only in the case if something is signed, like a promissory note?

thanks!

No you would not have to pay back a scholarship or grant.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 am

so the prevailing wisdom here is to tell schools that have WL'ed you that you will attend if accepted.

hypothetically speaking, if you are WL at several schools with one clear-cut favorite, should you tell only that one that you will attend if accepted? could you, in good conscience, tell the others that you would attend if admitted as well, only to possibly leave them in july/august for your #1 favorite should you get off that WL? i'm having a lot of trouble with this. i want my word to be worth something, but at the same time, increase my chances of getting into better (for me) schools.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:10 am

jackattack17 wrote:so the prevailing wisdom here is to tell schools that have WL'ed you that you will attend if accepted.

hypothetically speaking, if you are WL at several schools with one clear-cut favorite, should you tell only that one that you will attend if accepted? could you, in good conscience, tell the others that you would attend if admitted as well, only to possibly leave them in july/august for your #1 favorite should you get off that WL? i'm having a lot of trouble with this. i want my word to be worth something, but at the same time, increase my chances of getting into better (for me) schools.
Last edited by ihp12 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 am

helpful, thanks a bunch.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:15 am

jackattack17 wrote:helpful, thanks a bunch.

lol sorry

To better answer your question, I definately think you should not say that multiple are your "top" choice and that you would definitely attend. You could, however, visit your top choices. That kind of attention might lead them to imply that you would attend if offered an acceptance without you having to explicitly say so.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm

thanks, that's what i was thinking. i'm fine with doing everything to "show" i would attend if admitted, without specifically "saying" i would, which is much more difficult to turn back on.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm

It may be naive to think that admissions committees don't realize that unless you say "I'm not going anywhere else if you admit me" you probably mean "I want you as an option but I'm not sure yet".

They read thousands of these every year. You're not going to trick them with phrasing.

fragged

Postby fragged » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:47 pm

It's hard to convince an adcomm that you will enroll if accepted, because your words are not binding. I wish they would just get over themselves and rank the friggin' waitlists so people know if they even have a shot.

bmili

Postby bmili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:14 pm

bmili wrote:
fragged wrote:It's hard to convince an adcomm that you will enroll if accepted, because your words are not binding. I wish they would just get over themselves and rank the friggin' waitlists so people know if they even have a shot.

What if you sent a check for a seat deposit along with your LOCI? Ballsy, yes, but has anyone tried?

wow! that is pretty epic

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
bmili wrote:
fragged wrote:It's hard to convince an adcomm that you will enroll if accepted, because your words are not binding. I wish they would just get over themselves and rank the friggin' waitlists so people know if they even have a shot.

What if you sent a check for a seat deposit along with your LOCI? Ballsy, yes, but has anyone tried?

wow! that is pretty epic

I thought about doing that myself! But I fear I lack the balls.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

loblaw wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:
bmili wrote:

wow! that is pretty epic

I thought about doing that myself! But I fear I lack the balls.

I think I am going to do it. What is the worse that could happen? They cash your check and still deny you? lol

Teflon1974

Postby Teflon1974 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:18 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
bmili wrote:

wow! that is pretty epic

Send it in cash, and maybe something will magically happen ;)

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:18 pm

bmili wrote:

They would just mail it back to you. And be frustrated in the process. And then take you off the waitlist.

bmili

Postby bmili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”