Successful methods to get off wait-lists? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
xxinfinity

New

Successful methods to get off wait-lists?

Post by xxinfinity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi all,

Congrats on acceptances and good luck on waitlists.

I'm a splitter applicant and applied to a ton of schools. Got 7 waitlists, from T10 to T40..., very few acceptances and the equivalent in rejections. Therefore looking to learn about your best advice on getting off a waitlist.

Also it seems like the buzz is that lots of schools are admitting fewer ppl in hopes that there will be people applying to transfer next year. I've had a few rejection letters actually stating that they will be looking for my transfer app next year.

I'm sure this thread could be useful to many.

Thanks in advance!

metallaura

New

Re: Successful methods to get off wait-lists?

Post by metallaura » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 pm

xxinfinity wrote:Hi all,

Congrats on acceptances and good luck on waitlists.

I'm a splitter applicant and applied to a ton of schools. Got 7 waitlists, from T10 to T40..., very few acceptances and the equivalent in rejections. Therefore looking to learn about your best advice on getting off a waitlist.

Also it seems like the buzz is that lots of schools are admitting fewer ppl in hopes that there will be people applying to transfer next year. I've had a few rejection letters actually stating that they will be looking for my transfer app next year.

I'm sure this thread could be useful to many.

Thanks in advance!
#s?

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 am

The only thing I know is to send LOCI to all schools. If you have one that you really want to attend, you could word the letter along the lines of "I will definitely attend if admitted." That helps in particular for schools whose numbers you exceed. They often waitlist people who they suspect won't attend and if you write them saying you will, generally you can get in.

If you're waitlisted on a reach (like me) I think all you can do is keep in contact (I'm trying to walk a fine line between very interested and annoying) and hope.

Although I do have to say any school that told me they wanted to see my transfer next year would be automatically black listed. Talk about a crock of shit.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Although I do have to say any school that told me they wanted to see my transfer next year would be automatically black listed. Talk about a crock of shit.
This sounds like a line that was inserted during one of those, "so what else can we say to make this sound nice" moments.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't know, I've always just been a fan of being frank. I know schools don't have time for this, but what I'd like out of my rejections is "We are rejecting you because ___ was too low." where ___ is likely GPA or LSAT. I don't mind the standard emails saying you were good enough we just had too many good people emails so much, but telling you they want your transfer just reads to me "You weren't good enough, but do really well at another school and maybe we'll take you for full tuition." It just reeks of arrogance and condescension.

On topic though, I've heard that visiting the campus is also a good thing, particularly if you can meet the adcomm people and allow them to put a (charming) face to a name. Other than that, there aren't really any secrets. You need to really be competitive to begin with or have something incredible to add to your resume (make sure to send updated transcripts to LSAC as well). If you're competitive with their numbers, all you can do is make yourself known as interested and excited. Even then you'll have to hope lots of other people withdraw since they usually over enroll a fair bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:04 pm

MyManKanye wrote:I don't know, I've always just been a fan of being frank. I know schools don't have time for this, but what I'd like out of my rejections is "We are rejecting you because ___ was too low." where ___ is likely GPA or LSAT. I don't mind the standard emails saying you were good enough we just had too many good people emails so much, but telling you they want your transfer just reads to me "You weren't good enough, but do really well at another school and maybe we'll take you for full tuition." It just reeks of arrogance and condescension.

On topic though, I've heard that visiting the campus is also a good thing, particularly if you can meet the adcomm people and allow them to put a (charming) face to a name. Other than that, there aren't really any secrets. You need to really be competitive to begin with or have something incredible to add to your resume (make sure to send updated transcripts to LSAC as well). If you're competitive with their numbers, all you can do is make yourself known as interested and excited. Even then you'll have to hope lots of other people withdraw since they usually over enroll a fair bit.

What good does sending an updated transcript to LSAC do? Won't the school only receive it if they request another electronic copy of your file? I think it might be a better idea to send updated transcripts directly to the school if you're on the waitlist.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:05 pm

retake

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Mce252 wrote:
What good does sending an updated transcript to LSAC do? Won't the school only receive it if they request another electronic copy of your file? I think it might be a better idea to send updated transcripts directly to the school if you're on the waitlist.
Might depend on the school. The schools I was WL'd at explicitly said to send updated LORs or transcripts to LSAC and anything else to them. You could ask the individual schools though. Given that LORs and Transcripts have to go out officially to the school (i.e. you don't do it yourself) I'm not sure its any faster one way or the other.

lsa2011

New

Post by lsa2011 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 pm

reach around.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:reach around.
Id let you in.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Which law schools stated that they were looking forward to receiving your transfer application next year ? UCal-Berkeley ?

To get off waitlists visit &/or use the five magic words--"If accepted, I will attend.".

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I was waitlisted at a school and simply emailed the Dean of Admissions and told them if they admitted me I would attend and one week later, they offered me the evening program instead and pulled me off the waitlist. It was not what I wanted exactly but it allowed me to continue to work to support my family so I would say that emailing the dean does help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 pm

There is only ONE sure-fire method: Withdraw.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I have visited schools when my app was under evaluation, and even then it was difficult to get someone other than an admissions rep to see me. How do you visit a school when you're on the waitlist and get someone (important) to meet with you?

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 pm

fragged wrote:I have visited schools when my app was under evaluation, and even then it was difficult to get someone other than an admissions rep to see me. How do you visit a school when you're on the waitlist and get someone (important) to meet with you?
I don't know about that but the email for the dean of admission is usually listed on their website so that is one way to contact someone important.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 pm

bport hopeful wrote:retake
Bport, in case you missed this when it was first posted?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p4002383
:wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:44 pm

chimp wrote:There is only ONE sure-fire method: Withdraw.
haha

Constructively though: Pray. A lot.

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:46 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
I am glad someone said it, I am tired of hearing retake. We cannot all score the perfect score because we are all different people.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Well, I never do that as a token smart ass response because it is obnoxious.

Are you trying to tell me that retaking is not a good way to get off a waitlist, because I have some emails from deans that suggest otherwise.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 pm

And for the record, it was never funny.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Pay them off. Works every time. ;) Guaranteed method. Now I have a book to sell you for $9.99.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 pm

You should have sold the book before giving away the answer.

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm

gotcha wrote:
haha

Opposite of constructive

Might as well try http://myworld.ebay.com/moonstruck9000/ ... 4340.l2559

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 pm

dtl wrote:
gotcha wrote:
haha

Opposite of constructive

Might as well try http://myworld.ebay.com/moonstruck9000/ ... 4340.l2559
Ha funny that praying is the same is casting spells! very funny!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”