Montana Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alanaleigh14

Montana Waitlist

Postby alanaleigh14 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Friday is the day! I'm nervous..and not very hopeful. How is everyone else holding up? If there is anyone...

thedive

Re: Montana Waitlist

Postby thedive » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Not on the waitlist myself, but good luck!

alanaleigh14

Postby alanaleigh14 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm

I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKMT

Postby AKMT » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Congrats on getting in... I'm hoping for some news from them today or tomorrow as well.

aguaman13

Postby aguaman13 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Out-of-stater: Just got waitlisted... bummed, but not hopeless. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and try to figure out how to get myself in. Any suggestions specific to Montana?

thedive

Postby thedive » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

aguaman13 wrote:Out-of-stater: Just got waitlisted... bummed, but not hopeless. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and try to figure out how to get myself in. Any suggestions specific to Montana?

It probably wouldn't hurt to try a LOCI.

RSM

Postby RSM » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:07 pm

Congrats. I'm a 1L at Montana. Let me know if you have any questions.

thedive

Postby thedive » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 am

RSM wrote:Congrats. I'm a 1L at Montana. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for taking questions.

What is OCI and job prospects like at Montana?

RSM

Postby RSM » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 am

I can really only speak to 1L summer OCI.

There were about 10 paying jobs that were advertised on campus. Most were in Missoula, because Missoula is by far the most competitive place to find a legal job in MT. If you want to go to Helena, Bozeman, Billings, etc, for the summer, I imagine it's much easier to score a summer gig, but not many firms from these cities advertise on campus.

I suspect the same is true for jobs post-graduation, too. There are a limited number of spots in Missoula and after three years here, quite a few people would prefer to stay, so the competition for Missoula jobs is fierce.

That said, people disperse back throughout the state, and I really don't have a good grasp on how many people have paying jobs in other parts of the state, nor do I know how the 3L full time job search is working out, especially for people who are below top 1/3.

thedive

Postby thedive » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 am

Do you know many people that revcieved merit schollys, and if I haven't recieved any information towards one should I assume that I didn't?

Sorry, forgot that in my last post. Thanks again.

RSM

Postby RSM » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't know anything about merit scholarships, sorry.

AKMT

Postby AKMT » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Didn't even get waitlisted. Blown away for a second year in row, especially because I was accepted into a higher ranked school than Montana this year.

Guess you can't have everything you want in life.

Hoosier

Postby Hoosier » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:45 am

thedive wrote:Do you know many people that revcieved merit schollys, and if I haven't recieved any information towards one should I assume that I didn't?

Sorry, forgot that in my last post. Thanks again.

I'm assuming you will be there in August? Me too. :D
I visited in late March right after I was accepted and asked Lori about scholarships. She said that they just don't have the money but that she forwards emails to accepted students with 3rd party opportunities as she hears of them. Not that it helps for incoming 1Ls that aren't near Missoula, but there is also a jobs/scholarships/grants board in the administrative office area right outside of Lori's office. My assumption is that, because the majority of their students are in-state and paying what I would guess is roughly a third of what most law schools in the country charge, they just don't have the money to offer middle of the road students (or to advertise like, say, Michigan State - anyone else get a ton of crap from them?)

Anyway, you may already know all of this, but I thought I'd pitch in.

See you in August!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”