MARYLAND VS FORDHAM?!?!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
summeriffic

MARYLAND VS FORDHAM?!?!

Postby summeriffic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:07 pm

So I really like these two schools but I'm not sure which school would be best for me. I ultimately want to end up working as a corporate attorney in a big law firm in DC or MD. Which school do you think would be better as far as finding a job and managing law school debt? (I would be receiving in state tuition at MD)

tourdeforcex

Re: MARYLAND VS FORDHAM?!?!

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm

TLS aggregate knowledge says that fordham is regional. very good for big law in NYC, but for DC or MD maybe not...

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks, I want to practice corporate law so I think I'm going to end up working in NY which I don't mind. Or is it possible to do corporate law in DC?

schwar46

Postby schwar46 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 am

summeriffic wrote:Thanks, I want to practice corporate law so I think I'm going to end up working in NY which I don't mind. Or is it possible to do corporate law in DC?

:roll:

No. Corporate law is only practiced in NYC. Regulatory law is only practiced in DC. And Cowboy law is only practiced in Dallas.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:15 am

schwar46 wrote:
summeriffic wrote:Thanks, I want to practice corporate law so I think I'm going to end up working in NY which I don't mind. Or is it possible to do corporate law in DC?

No. Corporate law is only practiced in NYC. Regulatory law is only practiced in DC. And Cowboy law is only practiced in Dallas.

Bird law is practiced only in Prince Vultan's palace on the planet of Mongo.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 am

summeriffic wrote:I ultimately want to end up working as a corporate attorney in a big law firm in DC

Chances are you're not going to be able to practice corporate law in a big law firm anywhere. The easiest place to do that would be NYC, since that's where the corporate work would be, but you're still going to be facing an uphill climb at Fordham. The wide majority of the students just aren't given access to those types of jobs. The DC market would be nearly impossible to break into. It's tough for people who are top quarter at a top 10 school, so you can probably guess what it would be like out of Maryland or Fordham.

Take a look at some of the big DC firms and how many lawyers do what:

Akin Gump: 259 attorneys; 16 of them doing corporate work, 64 doing litigation, and 51 doing policy & regulation.
Arnold & Porter: 466 attorneys; 37 doing corporate & securities; 220 doing litigation & international arbitration.

I could go on...

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
summeriffic wrote:I ultimately want to end up working as a corporate attorney in a big law firm in DC

Chances are you're not going to be able to practice corporate law in a big law firm anywhere. The easiest place to do that would be NYC, since that's where the corporate work would be, but you're still going to be facing an uphill climb at Fordham. The wide majority of the students just aren't given access to those types of jobs. The DC market would be nearly impossible to break into. It's tough for people who are top quarter at a top 10 school, so you can probably guess what it would be like out of Maryland or Fordham.

Take a look at some of the big DC firms and how many lawyers do what:

Akin Gump: 259 attorneys; 16 of them doing corporate work, 64 doing litigation, and 51 doing policy & regulation.
Arnold & Porter: 466 attorneys; 37 doing corporate & securities; 220 doing litigation & international arbitration.

I could go on...

Thanks for the practical advice.

schwar46

Postby schwar46 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:32 am

NZA wrote:
schwar46 wrote:

Bird law is practiced only in Prince Vultan's palace on the planet of Mongo.

Obviously.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”