C-K v. American v. Maryland

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sunshine123

C-K v. American v. Maryland

Postby sunshine123 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 pm

I am looking for some advice on which school to select out of Chicago-Kent, American, and Maryland. I would like to practice patent/IP law in DC. (I also like Chicago and am open to practicing there but would prefer DC over it). Does Kent's IP reputation make it a better choice than the DC area schools? Also, if I do go with one of the DC area schools, which out of American and Maryland should I go with. Thanks for the help.

law4vus

Re: C-K v. American v. Maryland

Postby law4vus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:02 am

sunshine123 wrote:I am looking for some advice on which school to select out of Chicago-Kent, American, and Maryland. I would like to practice patent/IP law in DC. (I also like Chicago and am open to practicing there but would prefer DC over it). Does Kent's IP reputation make it a better choice than the DC area schools? Also, if I do go with one of the DC area schools, which out of American and Maryland should I go with. Thanks for the help.

FTIW, I know someone who is a hiring partner at one of the biggest IP firms in DC who went to Maryland (this person is young too). Not sure what it means, but it tells you that at least one Maryland alum is in a high place in DC IP.

I wouldn't think Kent would place so well in DC and American seems to focus more on PI and international law. That, in addition to the cost of AU (I think Maryland is significantly cheaper even with out of state tuition), I'd go with Maryland.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:22 am

Go Maryland IMO.

jelly

Postby jelly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Consider Kent if you're not 100 percent sure about DC. If you change your mind about DC or relocate to other parts of the country, Kent's IP reputation is much stronger than Maryland's. Kent does place IP people in DC (not so much for non-IP). But if you're sure you want DC, Maryland may be the safer route to go, although from what I've heard Maryland does better in Baltimore than DC itself.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”