Waitlisted at UVA, WM need advice!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BrittVA

Waitlisted at UVA, WM need advice!

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm

null
Last edited by BrittVA on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Re: Waitlisted at UVA, WM need advice!

Postby glewz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm

BrittVA wrote:Hello All:

I applied late this cycle but received Waitlist emails from UVA (today) and William and Mary (about three weeks ago). I also received a call today from the University of Richmond acknowledging my acceptance. Waiting on George Mason, Howard, American.

For context, a little about me: UVA undergrad 2009, VA resident, Master's in Public Admin 2010. have been working in the influential, lobbying subsidiary of a well known law firm headquartered in Richmond VA, since 2010

LSAT 157, UGPA: <3.0, Grad GPA: 3.5, URM

Given my stats, I created quite a compelling package because I figured I'd be an auto reject at UVA.

Thing is, I have a scholarship by the Commonwealth of Virginia w/ 2.5 years of eligibility remaining to attend a public, state university or college and have my tuition and fees waived. Therefore, I would have to pay for law school at UR. I REALLLY need to get in WM, UVA, or GMU. Any advice on making an even more compelling case for my acceptance at these schools, particularly UVA and WM? I absolutely love Charlottesville and UVA and WM is close to my home among other things. I will certainly submit LOCIs to both, but thoughts on visiting to drop off these letters in hopes of catching admissions personnel?

If any of those schools accept the June LSAT, I'd retake it then.

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Normally, I think that would be good advice. Problem is I took the LSAT 3 times, Oct. Dec. Feb. scoring one point higher each time. Admittedly, I didn't study much the first time, not much more the 2nd, same with the 3rd. I was nervous in Oct, graduated 10 min. after I got out of my Dec. test and just figured I was too distracted, and got busy with the Virginia legislative session in Jan. I didn't write an addendum for the LSAT because I wrote one for UGPA. So there's nothing I can do about that, yes I know I shot myself in the foot thrice.

Mainly, I want to know if I should make visits to the schools and try to swing a meeting with admissions folks. Also, anyone know if the waitlist letter at UVA is a generic sent to all, mine sounded a bit different, almost more personal, than I imagined it would.

dukey

Postby dukey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm

BrittVA wrote:Normally, I think that would be good advice. Problem is I took the LSAT 3 times, Oct. Dec. Feb. scoring one point higher each time. Admittedly, I didn't study much the first time, not much more the 2nd, same with the 3rd. I was nervous in Oct, graduated 10 min. after I got out of my Dec. test and just figured I was too distracted, and got busy with the Virginia legislative session in Jan. I didn't write an addendum for the LSAT because I wrote one for UGPA. So there's nothing I can do about that, yes I know I shot myself in the foot thrice.

Mainly, I want to know if I should make visits to the schools and try to swing a meeting with admissions folks. Also, anyone know if the waitlist letter at UVA is a generic sent to all, mine sounded a bit different, almost more personal, than I imagined it would.

I remember they said specifically on their website that they don't offer admissions interviews.

And honestly...if you can pull off a 6+ point improvement after a lot of studying, you are very likely to get admitted - regardless of having taken it 3 times already.

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 pm

LSAC limits 3 tests in a 2 year span.. :(

dukey

Postby dukey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 pm

BrittVA wrote:LSAC limits 3 tests in a 2 year span.. :(

There are ways to circumvent this limitation - search this forum...along the lines of petitioning/asking a law school to sponsor you or something.

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey! My friend talked to w&m about this and I overheard some things at ASW and here are my suggestions...
1. Write a really great LOCI e-mail and "why w&m/uva" essay as an attachment.
2. Go and take a tour and talk to people. See if you can talk to someone while you're there--UVA has said that if someones available sometimes they'll let you meet.
3. Retake the LSAT in June as the others on here said.
4. Get one or two really solid extra recommendations and send them in.
5. ASK the admissions ppl at each school what else you can do. Its good to take initiative on some things but its also a good question to ask just to show you'll do what it takes.

Make sure you don't contact them too much though! Good luck I hope you get in!

Also quick question... when did you submit/get updated from UVA? I'm still waiting on a decision and I'm so nervous! I didn't get anything today and it looks like a bunch of WLs went out. I'm hoping that doesn't mean a ding!

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for the great advice! I'll call Dean Trujillo at UVA or just take a visit next week and see if I can get an audience.

Blue: I received my email this evening, about 2 hours ago. Kinda funny story: I got a call from UVA (434 area code) this morning and got my hopes up thinking it was my acceptance call. Dean Trujillo called b/c 2 days ago I visited the admitted students page where one can pay their seat deposit, I didn't actually put in payment information but filled out my LSAC number to see if the site would advance, it did. I exited there, but apparently it registered on their system as if I tried to make a payment. So I clarified that with him and asked a couple of questions while I had him on the phone, specifically if I should continue to expect to hear by April 15th, to which he replied yes. And then I find out my fate, sort of, this evening. They also updated my status on the online checker immediately.

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Found the thread on petitioning LSAC for a 4th exam, I'm going to pursue this. Thanks for the advice guys!

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Blue: Sorry I didn't answer all of your question, I submitted on the deadline.

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks so much for the info!! I'm so hoping to at least. Get WL'd... but with all the WLs today I'm worried its a rejection :(

Good luck though getting in!! UVA is amazing.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm

BrittVA wrote:Thanks for the great advice! I'll call Dean Trujillo at UVA or just take a visit next week and see if I can get an audience.

Blue: I received my email this evening, about 2 hours ago. Kinda funny story: I got a call from UVA (434 area code) this morning and got my hopes up thinking it was my acceptance call. Dean Trujillo called b/c 2 days ago I visited the admitted students page where one can pay their seat deposit, I didn't actually put in payment information but filled out my LSAC number to see if the site would advance, it did. I exited there, but apparently it registered on their system as if I tried to make a payment. So I clarified that with him and asked a couple of questions while I had him on the phone, specifically if I should continue to expect to hear by April 15th, to which he replied yes. And then I find out my fate, sort of, this evening. They also updated my status on the online checker immediately.

Goodness...that's not a funny story at all. That's terrible!

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:45 pm

I try to stay positive. But talk about a buzz kill!

BrittVA

Postby BrittVA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Would you suggest requesting a petition to LSAC from a school I am less interested in attending and haven't yet heard from?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”