Where's my MONEY Man!?!?! Wheres the MONEY?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Northeast

Where's my MONEY Man!?!?! Wheres the MONEY?

Postby Northeast » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:37 pm

I will keep this short and simple. I applied to a school and got a large scholarship. During the ASD I spoke with the Financial Aid Director and got even more $$$ (90% tuition). Would it be inappropriate to e-mail her and explain to her that I would like to remove the stipulations and may be get a few more K per year? I hate to seem greedy but I obviosuly want to get at much money as possible without looking like I am ungrateful for the large increase I was already recently given.

Any thoughts?

Hannibal

Re: Where's my MONEY Man!?!?! Wheres the MONEY?

Postby Hannibal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Northeast wrote:I will keep this short and simple. I applied to a school and got a large scholarship. During the ASD I spoke with the Financial Aid Director and got even more $$$ (90% tuition). Would it be inappropriate to e-mail her and explain to her that I would like to remove the stipulations and may be get a few more K per year? I hate to seem greedy but I obviosuly want to get at much money as possible without looking like I am ungrateful for the large increase I was already recently given.

Any thoughts?

I've never heard of scholarships getting revoked, but do you have anything to negotiate with? Also, what are the stips?

Also, wrong forum.

Northeast

Postby Northeast » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:41 pm

I have a great deal of offers. Only 1 better than the current deal. When she upped it so much during the ASD I was kind of taken aback. That was 2 weeks ago and now I am starting to think that I left more $$ on the table. I want to try to get as much as I can without ruining a good relationship or pissing off admissions.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Northeast wrote:I have a great deal of offers. Only 1 better than the current deal. When she upped it so much during the ASD I was kind of taken aback. That was 2 weeks ago and now I am starting to think that I left more $$ on the table. I want to try to get as much as I can without ruining a good relationship or pissing off admissions.

It doesn't hurt to ask (especially if you have a better offer to bargain with), though if it doesn't work you should really consider the stipulation conditions. Assuming they're grade stipulations, think of it this way: If you make the grade stipulation, then you're going to have minimal debt AND have decent grades, so a job. On the other hand, if you miss it, you have bad grades AND a load of debt, so you're doubly fucked.

It would help if we knew schools/stips.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Do it. Schools are big business, and while an admissions officer might feel a bit put off by such a request, if you really intend on attending if the stips are dropped and you get some more $, negotiating for what you want to make attendance a reality is just expressing your desire. They can say yes, or they can say no. That's not up to you. But a closed mouth doesn't get fed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”