Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:32 am

Oblivion_08 wrote: Once again anything on LaVerne?


No. Only go there if you want to work in Inland Empire.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:34 am

Dante please check my PM.

And thanks guys, I do have some jobs promised to me if I can't find anything. My cousin has a firm in Beverly Hills, and my commissioner in Van Nuys who I clerk for promised me an externship at her old firm.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:34 am

My soon to be fiancee lives in LA, I don't know if I could leave her and go to SD, that's another concern..anyone with experience on that?

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby thegreatk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:38 am

Haha van nuys! My firm is in northridge. Represent the sfv.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:36 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:My soon to be fiancee lives in LA, I don't know if I could leave her and go to SD, that's another concern..anyone with experience on that?


first this guy thinks he will be in the top 10% and be able to transfer, and now he is confident his fiancee is going to say yes too?? c'mon!



















(haha jk jk OP, couldn't resist. best of luck to you, whatever decision you make.)

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 am

OP will be fine.

Feel free to call me again if you need any other questions answered.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:Thank you guys. I'm not banking on transferring, one thing I do know is that TJSL has a great IP program(from what I read here http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2010/04 ... grams.html) in the nation).

Neither school has a great anything. They both suck royally and completely. I guess go there if you are safe for a job, but enjoy having lots of debt.

But why do you care? You say you have a job in hand, but you are acting like a person who doesn't. So which is it? Are you safe, or are you rationalizing your choice to go to these awful schools?

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby adonai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:29 am

Laverne is only provisionally accredited. Other than the fact it is the bottom of the T4, you won't be able to transfer out due to the provisional accreditation. I heard the school is solely for Inland Empire PI.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:55 am

Haha, well I am a confident person. My girl and I have been together for 6 years, were practically married, I know she'll say yes, she told me the style of ring she wants from me! Isn't that a strong sign?

I am confident, and I hope to do well and if I have a chance to transfer to a Tier 2 I will, but im banking on SW.

Thanks for all the help guys, you guys are great.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:Thank you guys. I'm not banking on transferring, one thing I do know is that TJSL has a great IP program(from what I read here http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2010/04 ... grams.html) in the nation).

Neither school has a great anything. They both suck royally and completely. I guess go there if you are safe for a job, but enjoy having lots of debt.

But why do you care? You say you have a job
in hand, but you are acting like a person who doesn't. So which is it? Are you safe, or are you rationalizing your choice to go to these awful schools?


Thanks Romo, no point in explaining myself, I got my advice
Good luck with your law school endeavors.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:03 am

Good luck OP, and good luck with your engagement. I stand by what I said about these schools being bad, but if you really do have a job lined up, then you're further along than most people at T1s. Going to law school isn't about prestige, it is about getting a job, and it sounds like perhaps you're set in that regard. Just work on maintaining those connections and keep your debt low, because you (and your future fiancee) don't want to be in law school debt for decades.

User avatar
fragged
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby fragged » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 am

Normally I wouldn't comment on a thread like this because if you have connections and a job lined up when you graduate, all you need is a degree from an accredited school and the ability to pass the bar.

But with regard to these schools, I would have to strongly advise against going to a school because they offered you a scholarship. Clearly because you are looking at T4 schools, your numbers are not very good. That isn't meant to be an insult - just stating the obvious. From what I have seen, most of those schools put absurd stipulations on their scholarships, which means you are probably not going to get it renewed your second year.

For that reason, I would try as hard as you can for Southwestern. Also, your "connections" may not turn out the way you want them. For example, if you have a relative who is an attorney and they said they would give you a job, but then you go to work for them and it ends up not working out, you're left with the degree. In that situation, you are MUCH better off with a Southwestern degree than a degree from any of those other schools.

Good luck bro, you seem like you've got it together, which is more than I can say for a lot of the other 0L's I have met, regardless of where they are going in the fall.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:22 am

Thank you guys so much, you guys are awesome. I'll keep you guys updated with this stuff.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:19 am

fragged wrote:Normally I wouldn't comment on a thread like this because if you have connections and a job lined up when you graduate, all you need is a degree from an accredited school and the ability to pass the bar.

But with regard to these schools, I would have to strongly advise against going to a school because they offered you a scholarship. Clearly because you are looking at T4 schools, your numbers are not very good. That isn't meant to be an insult - just stating the obvious. From what I have seen, most of those schools put absurd stipulations on their scholarships, which means you are probably not going to get it renewed your second year.

For that reason, I would try as hard as you can for Southwestern. Also, your "connections" may not turn out the way you want them. For example, if you have a relative who is an attorney and they said they would give you a job, but then you go to work for them and it ends up not working out, you're left with the degree. In that situation, you are MUCH better off with a Southwestern degree than a degree from any of those other schools.

Good luck bro, you seem like you've got it together, which is more than I can say for a lot of the other 0L's I have met, regardless of where they are going in the fall.


Thank you, I'd like to think I have got it all together, but this application process has been breaking me down. I hope to attend SW next year, and if it all goes well I would either graduate from there or hopefully transfer to Loyola or Pepperdine.

Once again, you guys have been a big help.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:07 pm

adonai wrote:Laverne is only provisionally accredited. Other than the fact it is the bottom of the T4, you won't be able to transfer out due to the provisional accreditation. I heard the school is solely for Inland Empire PI.


Not true. There are two students from Laverne in the transfer class at Loyola.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Shammis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Danteshek wrote:
adonai wrote:Laverne is only provisionally accredited. Other than the fact it is the bottom of the T4, you won't be able to transfer out due to the provisional accreditation. I heard the school is solely for Inland Empire PI.


Not true. There are two students from Laverne in the transfer class at Loyola.


And one from the year previous. A lawyer who I work for has a nephew that transferred from LaVerne to Loyola without any problems. HOWEVER, unless you live right next to LaVerne I would choose SW out of all your options. It has the best alumni base and prob the best transfer base as well (I also know someone that transferred from SW to Loyola last year). People say to not count on transferring...I say if you are motivated and work your ass off, then you should be fine. Plus, in the event you are not able to transfer, SW has a much better reputation throughout town just in case your connections dont pan out. Nothing is guaranteed so it's always better to set yourself up with a fallback anyway. My 2 cents man, good luck, and dont worry about all the naysayers here...OH AND DONT GO TO TJ lol.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:36 pm

I probably won't go to TJ, and thanks for the advice. Can't wait for a response.

Bwana
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Bwana » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:32 pm

A friend of mine went to SW and loved it. He had no problem getting a job in LA on graduation and I don't think he was top of his class.

I attend La Verne undergrad and have spent a good deal of time at the law school. Every student that I spoke with at La Verne Law was just trying to transfer out to any where else. They have had really bad bar passage rates. I think last year was 50ish percent and the year before was in the 30's. They could very well lose their accreditation. It is just a very glum place.

Of these schools I would suggest SW followed by Whittier.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern vs Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Western State

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm

I withdrew from whittier,western state, and TJ. I was accepted to SW for part time with no money. I was also accepted to LaVerne with 20k per year at full time. Any advice here for me. Take the money or take the much better school?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kaziende, mm2368, pandaaa, potterotter and 14 guests