Cardozo May Program 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jokerman

Re: Cardozo May Program 2011 Cycle

Postby jokerman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:31 pm

1st person (at least on this board or at LSN) to be called about a spot in the May Program today... guys post is on the "Cardozo 2011" topic... guy had a 156, 3.11 GPA, 10+ yrs work exp, and apparently great softs

Thought everyone should know... good luck to everyone!!!

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Yeah, thanks for the lead...

Just got accepted into the May program after being wait listed in January. Last week I sent a LOCI + additional LOR from a partner of the law firm I work at. Apparently it worked because my numbers are well below their 25% (156, 3.11). But I have 10 years of work experience, an MBA and an engineering degree along with a pretty standout diversity statement (Catholic white dude converting to Islam to marry my Saudi wife and my desire to be an exemplary modern/moderate Muslim in today's increasingly Islamophobic world).

I'm very excited about the prospect of accepting. But this really puts me in a squeeze because my wife just landed her medical residency in Springfield, MA, which led me to rush a last second application to UConn. I guess I'll just have to send UConn a letter begging for an expedited decision because they are the only option I would choose over this. And I need to choose pretty frickin quick!

---EDIT----

Just got financial aid award letter and they're offering me $24k/year in need-based aid. I think that just sealed the deal.

To wife:
Sorry babe, looks like lots of bus hours for us in the next few years.

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:48 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:---EDIT----

Just got financial aid award letter and they're offering me $24k/year in need-based aid. I think that just sealed the deal.

To wife:
Sorry babe, looks like lots of bus hours for us in the next few years.

Trains go between DC and NYC pretty quickly and cheaply!... Best of Luck!

inlays85

Postby inlays85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Congrats on the acceptance and in many more respects the need based aid!!!! If I get into Cardozo I would have to commute to see my girlfriend over at UPenn. Which would not bother me since I currently have to fly cross country from Los Angeles.

I just hope I get a similar decision with some type of need based grant.

Cheers!

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Though this is not an extensive forum, I am surprised to still see only one report of an admit into the May Program. Am I correct in that over half of the program is filled with FT WL applicants?

inlays85

Postby inlays85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Im curious how you got that number for the fall program. But it appears you are right about the number of May time students being admitted off the wait-list.

With that in mind, if any one has been admitted to the May part-time program, please chime in. Let us know if it was an acceptance or an offer off the wait-list. Your plans on attending would be nice to know as well.

inlays85
-on the WL

krb89f

Postby krb89f » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm

It looks like from the main Cardozo thread that there were a fair amount of phone calls and emails out today? Did any part time people get these? Any word on waitlist movement?

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm

inlays85 wrote:With that in mind, if any one has been admitted to the May part-time program, please chime in. Let us know if it was an acceptance or an offer off the wait-list. Your plans on attending would be nice to know as well.

In case you didn't catch my previous post... I was admitted to the May program after being wait listed in January for the regular FT program. Although I was going to hold out to see what UConn says/offers (still waiting) I am about 90% sure I will pay the $1000 nonrefundable seat deposit this Friday and head there this weekend to find a place.

inlays85

Postby inlays85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 pm

Wow, thats a steep deposit. But, if given the chance, I don't think I would bat an eye. Wish you the best musicalmissionary in you housing hunt. I hope I have enough time to get a place if taken off the wait-list.

MP24

Postby MP24 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 pm

inlays85 wrote:Im curious how you got that number for the fall program. But it appears you are right about the number of May time students being admitted off the wait-list.

With that in mind, if any one has been admitted to the May part-time program, please chime in. Let us know if it was an acceptance or an offer off the wait-list. Your plans on attending would be nice to know as well.

inlays85
-on the WL

I was admitted to the May part-time program in March after being wait-listed for the fall full time program. I withdrew in April from the PT program.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Anyone know if there is a lot of work/reading due for the first day of classes? After the first day? How many hours on average does a May student study in th summer? Any free time? Also what happens if you don't get in the dean certification form before the first day?

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Almost 4PM ET and nobody has posted any acceptances here or on the general 2011 Cardozo thread... A watched pot never boils, but it is hard to not think about it since one has to be ready to jump on the opportunity almost immediately. Oh well...

inlays85

Postby inlays85 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Still waiting for a miracle for the May Part-time program myself. Not sure how much longer I should hold my breath.

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Mon May 02, 2011 4:32 pm

inlays85 wrote:Still waiting for a miracle for the May Part-time program myself. Not sure how much longer I should hold my breath.

I am wondering how many people who get in for the Full-time program that were not admitted for Part-time... Either way, the sad truth (or good) is you have a shot until the day of orientation. I am quite sure you can find stories of people being admitted to programs a day before the 1st classes.

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

Any may student (or someone currently in the city) want to buy my elements book (it's highlighted but in great condition and I got an A so hopefully my highlighting is good). Message me if you're interested. I'm trying to sell it before I move at the end of may

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”