Elon Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JTTP

Elon Law

Postby JTTP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 am

Hi,

I got accepted into Elon, but I not really sure yet. I know its not accredited yet, but it was supposed to be able to start the full accreditation this last summer. Does anybody now how is that going?

Also, my other option is to put Elon on hold for a year and go do a masters at WF. This since Elon does not offer any joint degree with the JD.

Any comments?

Thanks! :)

paratrooper06

Re: Elon Law

Postby paratrooper06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:40 am

There are way too many law schools in NC. If you are not going to UNC, Wake, or Duke... your chances for legal employment after graduation are between slim and slimmer. I would retake my LSAT and apply next year.

JTTP

Postby JTTP » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 am

I know that. The problem is that I am an international student and need to go back to school this fall before my visa expires. Also, I know that Elon has not the reputation of Wake, Duke or UNC. But what about the fact that I speak 3 languages and I come form a scientific background (I want health law), dont u think this could give me a little of an advantage once I graduate coming from Elon? :?

paratrooper06

Postby paratrooper06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 am

JTTP wrote:I know that. The problem is that I am an international student and need to go back to school this fall before my visa expires. Also, I know that Elon has not the reputation of Wake, Duke or UNC. But what about the fact that I speak 3 languages and I come form a scientific background (I want health law), dont u think this could give me a little of an advantage once I graduate coming from Elon? :?

I won't pretend to know your entire situation. But if you want my honest answer based on the information is... no, that stuff will not make a difference when you graduate. Law school is not undergrad and law schools are chalk full of outstanding people with outstanding accomplishments before law school... If you want to be a lawyer, I would say definitely enroll and go and make the most of it you can. I wish you the best and feel free to PM me with any more questions/comments.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Elon's statement regarding ABA approval can be found here: http://www.elon.edu/e-web/law/about/abastatement.xhtml

Elon was not available for full ABA approval in the summer of 2010; it was available to merely apply for full approval. ABA representatives conducted a review last fall, and I believe they will be finishing their review process this spring/summer. From the information to which I have been privy, full ABA approval is expected in the near future.

Additionally, Elon recently made a property purchase to expand the school, which I believe was intended to satisfy some of the early criticisms from ABA representatives who had concerns about the amount of space available.

If you are interested in the school, I highly recommend reading through the faculty bios, making a visit, and sitting in on a class. I was very skeptical of Elon until I visited the other schools I was interested in, but I am not concerned at all about competing against those who will graduate from other nearby institutions.

Feel free to message me about any questions you may have regarding my experience at Elon so far.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:47 pm

It's fully accredited now, fyi.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:21 pm

What is the masters program? Is this something where you could find work immediately afterward? Would you even still want to do a JD?

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Elon is for wimps and fatties. The answer is to retake and reapply, or reassess.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 pm

see if you can negotiate an intentional typo on your diploma, so it will read "Eton"

schwar46

Postby schwar46 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 am

Verity wrote:Elon is for wimps and fatties. The answer is to retake and reapply, or reassess.

I thought Yale was for wimps and fatties?

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:12 am

Elon is now fully accredited by the American Bar. SEE: http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Note.aspx?id= ... navigation

Frankly, I liked Elon. they have a number of interesting things going for them. First they have mid quarter courses in which you can take additional or required classes. Secondly, all of their facilities, including their building and library is brand new.Thirdly, they have a preceptor program that really does distinguish themselves from other law schools. Here is what Elon says about them:

The Preceptor Program
One of Elon Law's distinctions is the Preceptor Program, through which more than 50 experienced lawyers from a broad range of practice settings mentor law students.
Preceptors observe first-year students in law classes and provide feedback, facilitating a reflection process that helps students continuously improve in their preparation and development as lawyers.
Preceptors also invite students to accompany them to observe trials, client interviews, depositions, and mediations. While primarily involved with first-year law students, preceptors regularly interact with second- and third-year law students, as well as with alumni of the law school.

However, they do have a number of drawbacks. First, they are a tier 4 law school. Secondly, there are very few alumni because it is a new school. Thus you won't get the benefit of a lot of alumni hiring Elon grads. This translates into fewer job opportunities. Third, they are a really small, boutique law school. There aren't as many offerings as their bigger law school cousins. They have probably the lowest name recognition in the state due to their newly minted status. However, I really do believe that Elon is an up and coming law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:05 am

fatduck wrote:see if you can negotiate an intentional typo on your diploma, so it will read "Eton"

This comment was drastically under-appreciated.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:02 pm

schwar46 wrote:
Verity wrote:Elon is for wimps and fatties. The answer is to retake and reapply, or reassess.

I thought Yale was for wimps and fatties?

Correct as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”