Fordham(Full Tuition) vs. St. John's (free) vs.Brooklyn(1/3) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What would you do?

Brooklyn Full Ride Plus $5,000 living stipend
31%
St. John's Full Ride
15%
Fordham Sticker
40%
Cardozo 11K per year
14%

Total votes: 107

rocon7383

Bronze

Fordham(Full Tuition) vs. St. John's (free) vs.Brooklyn(1/3)

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm

I appreciate any input all of you may have.

I plan to commute to any of these schools to minimize debt.

Not dead set on big law. My uber-reach dream job is to be an AUSA.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Fordham(Full Tuition) vs. St. John's (free) vs.Brooklyn(1/3)

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Retake.

Substantively, the only part of this I'm curious about is why you're so sure you're going to get off the waitlist at Fordham.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Retake.

Substantively, the only part of this I'm curious about is why you're so sure you're going to get off the waitlist at Fordham.
This. But go to Fordham if you get in.

Also, this is in the wrong thread.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Retake.

This. But go to Fordham if you get in.

Also, this is in the wrong thread.
I can certainly understand your curiosity about the WL comment, but I feel uncomfortable releasing that on the internet. I truly do not want to retake. I took it in October and studied FOREVER. To take it in June would leave me too little time to prepare and I honestly have a tough time imagining I score significantly higher based on the amount of hours i put in for my score.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 pm

rocon7383 wrote: I can certainly understand your curiosity about the WL comment, but I feel uncomfortable releasing that on the internet. I truly do not want to retake. I took it in October and studied FOREVER. To take it in June would leave me too little time to prepare and I honestly have a tough time imagining I score significantly higher based on the amount of hours i put in for my score.
What are you PTing? "Studying for the LSAT was hard" and "I don't want to" are almost categorically dumb reasons not to retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:52 am

patrickd139 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote: I can certainly understand your curiosity about the WL comment, but I feel uncomfortable releasing that on the internet. I truly do not want to retake. I took it in October and studied FOREVER. To take it in June would leave me too little time to prepare and I honestly have a tough time imagining I score significantly higher based on the amount of hours i put in for my score.
What are you PTing? "Studying for the LSAT was hard" and "I don't want to" are almost categorically dumb reasons not to retake.
I studied for 6 months. My first EDIT: "Practice" test score was a 153. My highest PT was 166-- which is what I got on the real test. And at this point, about 6 months after test day, I would not be starting off from my peak scores.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaredlevy

New

Post by jaredlevy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 am

153 and you're confident you're getting into Fordham? Must be very compelling "intangibles."

Are you Derek Jeter?

MMags

New

Post by MMags » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 am

Profile says highest 166..(So is that actual or PT?)

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 am

jaredlevy wrote:153 and you're confident you're getting into Fordham? Must be very compelling "intangibles."

Are you Derek Jeter?
I scored a 166 on the test. He asked about my practice tests. My first practice score was 153. I was simply trying to show that I did put work in to get a 166

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 am

For people voting- could you write why you voted for certain options. Thanks!

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:24 am

I voted for St. John's...but I'm clueless (0L). I think the economy is heading for deeper shit, so I am minimizing debt. I believe St. John's is good enough to get you to a good job IF you do your part and distinguish yourself with great grades and law review. Don't read too much into what people say here about retake and rankings. For me, debt and getting good grades are my major concerns.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm

bummmppppp

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
I never used "it was hard" as a reason to not want to retake. Also, "I don't want to retake" is nearly always the reason people don't retake and I don't think of it as a stupid reason. I haven't looked at LSAT questions since 10.09.10 and am sure I would be rusty/lost if I were to kick it back up into gear based on the longshot goal of improving my score substantially by next October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 pm

boozehound wrote:I voted for St. John's...but I'm clueless (0L). I think the economy is heading for deeper shit, so I am minimizing debt. I believe St. John's is good enough to get you to a good job IF you do your part and distinguish yourself with great grades and law review. Don't read too much into what people say here about retake and rankings. For me, debt and getting good grades are my major concerns.
Wrong. Law school is all about distinguishing oneself from the crowd, which is extremely hard to do. No matter what school you go to, law review is a huge accomplishment which is extremely hard to achieve. Go to the school where you would be okay (not jobless) with being at the median. None of these schools really do that for you, but Fordham is the closest. Besides, Fordham outperforms its ranking by a lot. Go to Fordham man, you won't regret it..... if you actually do get in.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
boozehound wrote:I voted for St. John's...but I'm clueless (0L). I think the economy is heading for deeper shit, so I am minimizing debt. I believe St. John's is good enough to get you to a good job IF you do your part and distinguish yourself with great grades and law review. Don't read too much into what people say here about retake and rankings. For me, debt and getting good grades are my major concerns.
Wrong. Law school is all about distinguishing oneself from the crowd, which is extremely hard to do. No matter what school you go to, law review is a huge accomplishment which is extremely hard to achieve. Go to the school where you would be okay (not jobless) with being at the median. None of these schools really do that for you, but Fordham is the closest. Besides, Fordham outperforms its ranking by a lot. Go to Fordham man, you won't regret it..... if you actually do get in.
Wrong?! Don't you mean: "I disagree." Tighten it up 0L.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Choose a different career path or stop trying to stay in NYC. Maybe consider Fordham IF you get off the waitlist and know that you will be employed* when you graduate.

* Have real promise of a job from someone, not "oh, I have great experience and 'connections' so I'll totally get a job easy!"

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Fordham if you get in. Their employment stats are excellent.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm

paratactical wrote:Choose a different career path or stop trying to stay in NYC. Maybe consider Fordham IF you get off the waitlist and know that you will be employed* when you graduate.

* Have real promise of a job from someone, not "oh, I have great experience and 'connections' so I'll totally get a job easy!"
This is overly dramatic, overly simplistic..

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm

rocon7383 wrote:My dream job is to become an AUSA; however, if I were to excel in school (easier said than done, I know) I could change my tune if the price was right.
rocon7383 wrote:
paratactical wrote:Choose a different career path or stop trying to stay in NYC. Maybe consider Fordham IF you get off the waitlist and know that you will be employed* when you graduate.

This is overly dramatic and simplistic.
You are incredibly, incredibly unlikey to be an AUSA or work in a well paying firm from any of the three schools you have listed.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm

rocon7383 wrote:

Do you see yourself practicing as an AUSA straight out of law school?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:44 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Do you see yourself practicing as an AUSA straight out of law school?

No. Based on everything I have read, and every conversation I have had, I was user the impression that is a nearly impossible feat coming from a non t-14."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm

St Johns, but drop out if you lose your scholarship.

Fordham might be the best non t13 + Gtown school for NYC, but it's not full price.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm

rocon7383 wrote:No. Based on everything I have read, and every conversation I have had, I was user the impression that is a nearly impossible feat coming from a non t-14."
I'm curious about your plan to get there, then. You'll be graduating from arguably the worst (St. John's) or third worst (BLS) law school in a city that's saturated with attorneys from literally 50 law schools who have a better chance at nabbing the AUSA "feeder jobs." Not saying it can't be done, but I am saying you're statistically setting yourself up for disappointment, and (if you go to Fordham) piles of debt.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
jaredlevy wrote:153 and you're confident you're getting into Fordham? Must be very compelling "intangibles."

Are you Derek Jeter?
I scored a 166 on the test. He asked about my practice tests. My first practice score was 153. I was simply trying to show that I did put work in to get a 166
With a 166 you can get a decent scholly if you leave ny. I say eff the ny market and go somewhere else. Otherwise, retake.

With a 166/3.2 you'd probably be paying 16k/year for uga. Go work in hot lanta
or 18k/year for wake forest.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Bless wrote:Fordham if you get in. Their employment stats are excellent.
Lol I think OP was actually looking for srs responses

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”