deleted. thanks for the advice Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Perplexed Penguin

New

Re: Is this normal?

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Post the PS, have us read it and then delete it. If there is a glaring issue you can fix it quickly and send the corrections to the schools that have not responded to you yet.

waitlisteddd

New

Post by waitlisteddd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:Post the PS, have us read it and then delete it. If there is a glaring issue you can fix it quickly and send the corrections to the schools that have not responded to you yet.
+1

if you are truly concerned about this, then you should post the PS, or at least PM it to a couple people

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm

I'd be willing to read it, though, fair warning, I can be a harsh critic of writing.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

You seriously had fee waivers from Harvard and Yale? I didn't think they gave out fee waivers to anyone.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I got in @ Valparaiso with a lower LSAT and much lower GPA and I'm out of state.
Somethings up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm

ExpectLess wrote:Any criminal convictions? Those seem to derail some cycles.

Also, when did you apply? If you applied February or later, that certainly could be an explanation.

Yes I have a criminal conviction. I also applied in January.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:Post the PS, have us read it and then delete it. If there is a glaring issue you can fix it quickly and send the corrections to the schools that have not responded to you yet.
Sorry I was at work and busy. Here you go:
Last edited by metallaura on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 pm

subtle wrote:I'd be willing to read it, though, fair warning, I can be a harsh critic of writing.
Yeah, I don't think the OP needs a critique of how good it is. Low-impact PS probably didn't do this. If PS is the reason, it should be obvious (e.g., "I'm looking forward to getting my law degree so I can manipulate the legal system to oppress minority, orphan children with multiple disabilities MWUAHAHAA"

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 pm

metallaura wrote:

Also, when did you apply? If you applied February or later, that certainly could be an explanation.

Why wasnt this a part of your original post ? Did you think it wasnt relevant to the question you asked?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 pm

metallaura wrote:

Well we found the reason.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

metallaura wrote:

How criminal? I've heard of DUIs and non-serious misdemeanors not having tons of problems, but white collar crimes/perjury/felony convictions can cause serious problems.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Sandro wrote:
metallaura wrote:

Why wasnt this a part of your original post ? Did you think it wasnt relevant to the question you asked?

Sorry, well yeah. I thought I posed a follow up post on it but I guess I didn't click "submit" properly.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:00 pm

A TON of involvement...in criminal activity.

To be clear, Im kidding, but with a solid PM, recs, and numbers, it seems like that is likely the culprit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:02 pm

I thought that as long as you disclose everything honestly they don't discriminate because of convictions?
Last edited by metallaura on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:06 pm

splitmuch wrote:A TON of involvement...in criminal activity.

To be clear, Im kidding, but with a solid PM, recs, and numbers, it seems like that is likely the culprit.
Sigh, thanks :( fml.

It was some stupid BS that went down. I'm not a gang-banger or a thug. I just made one really big mistake. You'd think they'd want people who've overcome adversity and who have diverse life experiences. I thought I explained it well in my C&F. I took responsibility for the stupidity of what I did while pointing out that I had no malicious intent. I explained how I have risen above what happened... etc.

It's really painful to be judged negatively because of it. ugh. Sorry I didn't mention in the Original post. I posed a second but since I am new to the forums, it didn't go through.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

metallaura wrote:Yeah, I'm just super-sensitive about it because it was so out of character for me. It was a suicide attempt which turned into a police standoff. I was an upstanding citizen before then and after. I have also been very stable and positive nothing like this would ever happen again.

I thought that as long as you disclose everything honestly they don't discriminate because of convictions?
click edit on the post with your ps and erase it.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
metallaura wrote:Yeah, I'm just super-sensitive about it because it was so out of character for me. It was a suicide attempt which turned into a police standoff. I was an upstanding citizen before then and after. I have also been very stable and positive nothing like this would ever happen again.

click edit on the post with your ps and erase it.
So you think it's ok. It's the C&F issues then. That was kinda why I was asking "is this normal" because if people told me "no it's not" then I would know. Sigh. Thanks so much for the help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

That is awful. I am terribly sorry that it affected your law school admissions. People often steer away from topics of depression in personal statements because adcomms can see you as unstable or unfit to practice law. Unfortunately, because it was a criminal incident, you had to talk about it.

So it looks like we have a final answer. No, it's not normal to get those results, but now you know why :(

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

metallaura wrote:Yeah, I'm just super-sensitive about it because it was so out of character (edited for anonymity and courtesy) I was an upstanding citizen before then and after. I have also been very stable and positive nothing like this would ever happen again.

This is my guess @ the reason for the denies.

The deal with convitions is: If it isn't a crime of moral turpitude (like stealing, selling heroin etc) or a dangerous crime (assaults, history of fights, robbery) then you'd be fine. Your situation is one that people SHOULD be more sympathetic to, but here is an example of how they aren't.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm

loblaw wrote:

That is awful. I am terribly sorry that it affected your law school admissions. People often steer away from topics of depression in personal statements because adcomms can see you as unstable or unfit to practice law. Unfortunately, because it was a criminal incident, you had to talk about it.

So it looks like we have a final answer. No, it's not normal to get those results, but now you know why :(
Thanks so much for all the help. Well I got into Lewis and Clark which is a good school, and I got HUGE scholarships at William Mitchell and Cleavland State, so I guess I should just focus on what I do have.

Sadly, mental illness still has a huge stigma. I bet if I said that I stole a car or something like that it wouldn't have been as bad. ugh.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm

metallaura wrote:
Sadly, mental illness still has a huge stigma. I bet if I said that I stole a car or something like that it wouldn't have been as bad. ugh.
Exactly. Now go become an attorney and help end the stigma!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:18 pm

txadv11 wrote:
metallaura wrote:
Exactly. Now go become an attorney and help end the stigma!
Will do :)

I just think that it doesn't help anyone, society or otherwise to give people with criminal convictions such a hard time when they're trying to turn their lives around. Sadly, ex-criminals cannot even get decent employment or financial aid (if it's a drug crime) to go to school. I do want to help people in prison. My first choice is WI because they have an EXCELLENT innocence project which I think is nationally recognized.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice. :)
Last edited by metallaura on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:19 pm

kudos to you for making it through such a difficult experience and creating a successful life for yourself!! don't let the rejections get you down, focus on what you have accomplished, go to law school someplace that looks beyond one bad experience, and prosper...
it sucks that you're still paying for that experience, but my bet is you learned a lot and grew a lot as a result of it, and that's what matters.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Id also say that if I were an Adcom, the fact that you made it through that and ended up with your GPA would be quite impressive.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:21 pm

oldhippie wrote:kudos to you for making it through such a difficult experience and creating a successful life for yourself!! don't let the rejections get you down, focus on what you have accomplished, go to law school someplace that looks beyond one bad experience, and prosper...
it sucks that you're still paying for that experience, but my bet is you learned a lot and grew a lot as a result of it, and that's what matters.
Thanks Hippie :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”