UT vs Fordham

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

UT or Fordham

UT
100%
Fordham
No votes

Total votes: 10

cunegonde

UT vs Fordham

Postby cunegonde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:50 am

I need help. Of the schools where I have been accepted, I am trying to choose between USC, UT, and Fordham. My top choice was NYU, but they still have not given me a decision (which I am assuming means that I am either going to be rejected or waitlisted- either way, I need to choose another school to send a deposit to). I am considering Fordham because I love New York, and eventually I want to work there. I think it might be easier to get a job in the city if I go to a school that is in NY. I am torn because I also got accepted at UT and USC, which are both better schools than Fordham. While I am not crazy about the idea of living in Texas, I think a degree from UT might be portable, and I could get a job in NY (and if I were to change my mind about where I want to work, it would also be easier to get a job in another state with a degree from UT vs. one from Fordham). I have only been to Austin once (for a day and a half), and I have never visited the law school (and I don’t have time to visit it before I need to send a deposit) so I am not sure if I would like the school or the city. I am also considering USC. It’s not as well ranked as UT, but I know that I like LA (though nowhere near as much as I like NY), and I like the school. I am really confused because each school has its pros and cons. I don’t know if it is a wise decision to choose Fordham (since it is in NY) over these better ranking schools.
Last edited by cunegonde on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

tourdeforcex

Re: UT vs USC vs Fordham

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 am

first, congrats on all 3 acceptances.

now my personal opinion: unless you want LA, delete USC now. this is really UT v. fordham

Texas just made 14, it's trending upwards and from what i hear still has about the same chances of biglaw in texas, with the same pay as the old days. the degree from UT will be portable but i think most of their connections and recruiters will be from texas so it's likely that you work in texas if you go.

do you have money at any of these schools? read as "is fordham offering anything?" i wouldn't take fordham over T unless there were scholarship money.

also, what are your goals? are you looking for biglaw? are you definitely set on NYC (who wouldn't be? =P)

hope this helps.

oh and if you want more responses in the thread, make it into a poll if you can.

cunegonde

Postby cunegonde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 am

thanks for the advice about usc. i'm not really enthusiastic about la. it just seems like a shame to say no to usc. i'm actually not certain about what my goals are. i will probably want to work in biglaw. also, i'm 99% set on working in new york. fordham did offer a scholarship, but money is not a big issue for me when it comes to choosing a school.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 am

about turning into poll... i think it might be stuck poll-less. something you need to do before posting topic.

okay about T v F then, i think you should find stats and stories about T grads who are working in NYC or who could close NYC jobs after graduating.

i'm in at fordham also but i'm a little concerned about their employment numbers i.e. percentage employed at graduation. also, while NYC has a larger legal market, in the "pecking order" of schools, we have say HYS, columbia, nyu, cornell, then fordham right? this makes me concerned.

tourdeforcex

Re: UT vs Fordham

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 am

oh! you made it a poll. nice =)

mst

Postby mst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 am

eh, tough call:

*fordham... if you get a job youll end up in NYC. but thats a much larger IF than you'd find at UT and to some extent USC. Not to mention the salary will most likely be lower because you probably wont be getting big-law.
*texas... best chance of landing biglaw out of the three, but again not sky-high chance. safest choice. but if you arent OK with texas this is a big jump to make. a large portion of UT grads find their jobs in texas (and while this may be due somewhat to self selection, you still need to be OK with working/living in texas through law school and very well beyond that)
*usc...the chances that you find your way to NYC biglaw from here are slim. if you go here be prepared to live and work in LA/CA for sure.

If money is no object to you and NYC is a must, do fordham. but be aware that if you want biglaw this is the least likely place you'd get it.

The best choice is probably Texas. I'd say find the freaking time to visit the school. Be OK with being in Texas post-graduation. If this isn't OK retake the LSAT or just wait a year and aim for Duke, Penn, UVA, Mich, Cornell, or NYU.

db616

Postby db616 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 am

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:24 am

I think you can haz secs in New York. Esp. if you're young and male. Lots of womenz there.

As to OP's Q...depends. If you will only be happy with biglaw, then UT makes the most sense. If you just want a NY law job, I'd take Fordham.

cunegonde

Postby cunegonde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:33 am

tourdeforcex wrote:i'm in at fordham also but i'm a little concerned about their employment numbers i.e. percentage employed at graduation. also, while NYC has a larger legal market, in the "pecking order" of schools, we have say HYS, columbia, nyu, cornell, then fordham right? this makes me concerned.

i am also concerned about the fordham employment numbers. that is pretty much the reason i did not decide on fordham right away. since i want to work in new york, i applied to all the schools there. i really wanted to go to nyu, but they have not made their decision yet (which i am certain is not a good sign). i got waitlisted at columbia (well, what they call their "reserve group").

are law school rankings really that important when it comes to getting a job?

what other schools are you considering?
Last edited by cunegonde on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cunegonde

Postby cunegonde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 am

mst wrote:*texas... best chance of landing biglaw out of the three, but again not sky-high chance. safest choice. but if you arent OK with texas this is a big jump to make. a large portion of UT grads find their jobs in texas (and while this may be due somewhat to self selection, you still need to be OK with working/living in texas through law school and very well beyond that)

i am afraid that if i go to ut, i will end up in texas for good. that is something i am certain i do not want. to be honest, i don't picture myself living permanently anywhere but new york.

cunegonde

Postby cunegonde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:38 am

jaja, the link is funny. i don't really have a problem in that department, though. i'm a pretty decent looking girl so... yeah. never had any problems.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:44 am

cunegonde wrote:
mst wrote:*texas... best chance of landing biglaw out of the three, but again not sky-high chance. safest choice. but if you arent OK with texas this is a big jump to make. a large portion of UT grads find their jobs in texas (and while this may be due somewhat to self selection, you still need to be OK with working/living in texas through law school and very well beyond that)

i am afraid that if i go to ut, i will end up in texas for good. that is something i am certain i do not want. to be honest, i don't picture myself living permanently anywhere but new york.

I'm getting a pretty strong feeling in my gut this is a flame.

If it is, eh, whatever... maybe some reader will find use in this thread.

You need to retake if you want even close to a good shot at NYC biglaw. A few points higher should lock you in at Cornell with that gpa. Fordham is not the correct response unless close to full-scholly, and even then you've just averted debt... not gotten a chance at biglaw. and you won't get into nyu with those numbers. surprised you got waitlisted at columbia. unless you are a URM... in that case everything in this thread changes.

edit: ok says youre a urm.

flameeee

again... if not you should have applied to cornell. and still, you need to retake.
Last edited by mst on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cunegonde

Postby cunegonde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:48 am

mst wrote:
cunegonde wrote:

I'm getting a pretty strong feeling in my gut this is a flame.

If it is, eh, whatever... maybe some reader will find use in this thread.

You need to retake if you want even close to a good shot at NYC biglaw. A few points higher should lock you in at Cornell with that gpa. Fordham is not the correct response unless close to full-scholly, and even then you've just averted debt... not gotten a chance at biglaw. and you won't get into nyu with those numbers. surprised you got waitlisted at columbia. unless you are a URM... in that case everything in this thread changes.

yeah, i'm a urm. i'm puerto rican (like actually born and raised in puerto rico). what is a flame, btw? (i feel a bit silly asking this question, but english is not my first language so sometimes i don't understand the slang)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”