full tuition support thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 am

lsatextreme wrote:so what's the lowest rank schools people are considering full tuition?

40s here.


Cooley.

(just kidding. Pepperdine up probably, with a few schools I wouldn't pay full price for.)

User avatar
softsgalore
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:18 am

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby softsgalore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 am

In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

A week or so ago, I was at a T25 school touring, and got to watch a moot competition. A girl who was in the competition, and who was in fact the top mooter from the school, started talking to me. She had actually chosen a full ride at this school over a Stanford admission. I asked her: "well, do you regret it?" She looked down and said, kind of embarrassed, "Yeah, a little bit." I kept looking at the school after that, but my heart had kind of made up its mind. I know there's a gap between Stanford and Boalt, but I know as a basic, gut feeling that I would regret taking the money over the area I love and the school with the real commitment to social justice and public interest.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 am

Lisi wrote:
subtle wrote:
bhan87 wrote:I really hope CCN is worth sticker...


+ a million


+ a million and one

+ two million and one?

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby powerlawyer06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 am

softsgalore wrote:In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

A week or so ago, I was at a T25 school touring, and got to watch a moot competition. A girl who was in the competition, and who was in fact the top mooter from the school, started talking to me. She had actually chosen a full ride at this school over a Stanford admission. I asked her: "well, do you regret it?" She looked down and said, kind of embarrassed, "Yeah, a little bit." I kept looking at the school after that, but my heart had kind of made up its mind. I know there's a gap between Stanford and Boalt, but I know as a basic, gut feeling that I would regret taking the money over the area I love and the school with the real commitment to social justice and public interest.


+1, I share your sentiments and school choice. I know I would regret it if I took a scholarship at a lesser school. I also have admits to other T14s with lower COAs and that also complicates my choice.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
softsgalore wrote:In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

A week or so ago, I was at a T25 school touring, and got to watch a moot competition. A girl who was in the competition, and who was in fact the top mooter from the school, started talking to me. She had actually chosen a full ride at this school over a Stanford admission. I asked her: "well, do you regret it?" She looked down and said, kind of embarrassed, "Yeah, a little bit." I kept looking at the school after that, but my heart had kind of made up its mind. I know there's a gap between Stanford and Boalt, but I know as a basic, gut feeling that I would regret taking the money over the area I love and the school with the real commitment to social justice and public interest.


+1, I share your sentiments and school choice. I know I would regret it if I took a scholarship at a lesser school. I also have admits to other T14s with lower COAs and that also complicates my choice.


+2. I really really want to go to Boalt, but I'm worried that I can't justify paying sticker there when I have really great scholarships to UTexas and Northwestern. I'm so torn! Berkeley's one of the most expensive law schools in the nation, especially if I can't get in-state for 2L and 3L.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 am

juliachild-ish wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:
softsgalore wrote:In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

A week or so ago, I was at a T25 school touring, and got to watch a moot competition. A girl who was in the competition, and who was in fact the top mooter from the school, started talking to me. She had actually chosen a full ride at this school over a Stanford admission. I asked her: "well, do you regret it?" She looked down and said, kind of embarrassed, "Yeah, a little bit." I kept looking at the school after that, but my heart had kind of made up its mind. I know there's a gap between Stanford and Boalt, but I know as a basic, gut feeling that I would regret taking the money over the area I love and the school with the real commitment to social justice and public interest.


+1, I share your sentiments and school choice. I know I would regret it if I took a scholarship at a lesser school. I also have admits to other T14s with lower COAs and that also complicates my choice.


+2. I really really want to go to Boalt, but I'm worried that I can't justify paying sticker there when I have really great scholarships to UTexas and Northwestern. I'm so torn! Berkeley's one of the most expensive law schools in the nation, especially if I can't get in-state for 2L and 3L.


Wut. You have a Harvard acceptance and your thinking of going to Berkeley at sticker?

User avatar
jpk5372
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Lisi wrote:
subtle wrote:
bhan87 wrote:I really hope CCN is worth sticker...


+ a million


+ a million and one

+ two million and one?


+ one gajillion...maybe....oh god i don't know what to do!!!!

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:30 am

I have met a handful of current law students who wished they had taken the better school at sticker.
Haven't met the opposite yet.
Columbia, here I come.
*spins wheel* Come on Big Money!

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

I like to gamble as well. Going all in!

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby splitmuch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, it is even scarier if you use the loan calculator on finaid.org and it tells you what annual salary you need to pay your loan comfortably :-/



You by chance have a link to that?

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, it is even scarier if you use the loan calculator on finaid.org and it tells you what annual salary you need to pay your loan comfortably :-/



You by chance have a link to that?


http://www.finaid.org/calculators/

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm going all in with you UVA, don't let me down........

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby clone22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 pm

adevotchka wrote:My 200k law school debt will become my dowry. Get ready, boys.

negative equity dowry, i like how you think

gator6589
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby gator6589 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Im beginning to believe, though others here will most certainly disagree, paying 90-120k for a law school with in the ranks of 1-70 is not unreasonable. I think where you start to run into real trouble is paying sticker at those bottom schools 100-TTTT. Everyone's situation is different and there are certainly instances where paying full tuition at those schools works out for certain individuals. As long as one realize's the finical responsibility and realities of the job market they should trust their decision I just feel things will work out for many of you paying 120k to attend a good law school. (feel may be the wrong word, as many of my family members have attend non T14 law schools and are finically secure and stable )Nothing is guaranteed but if law school is your dream, follow it.

Best of luck to everyone

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm

gator6589 wrote:Im beginning to believe, though others here will most certainly disagree, paying 90-120k for a law school with in the ranks of 1-70 is not unreasonable. I think where you start to run into real trouble is paying sticker at those bottom schools 100-TTTT. Everyone's situation is different and there are certainly instances where paying full tuition at those schools works out for certain individuals. As long as one realize's the finical responsibility and realities of the job market they should trust their decision I just feel things will work out for many of you paying 120k to attend a good law school. (feel may be the wrong word, as many of my family members have attend non T14 law schools and are finically secure and stable )Nothing is guaranteed but if law school is your dream, follow it.

Best of luck to everyone



thanks! I agree totally with this ( im considering a school or two that is a fantastic fit for where i want to work- i.e its in the region itself, and is a great school for there). I would be more afraid if it were a school in the 100+ or unranked category- if that were the case, i would be purchasing more prep tests and study materials.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby minuit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:59 pm

i'll be voting for whichever political candidates are in favor of leaving IBR alone for the next 13 years, let's put it that way!

ku1185
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:59 pm

minuit wrote:i'll be voting for whichever political candidates are in favor of leaving IBR alone for the next 13 years, let's put it that way!


+9000

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm a dumbass. What's IBR?

ku1185
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:04 pm

neonx wrote:I'm a dumbass. What's IBR?


Income-based repayment. http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resour ... -repayment

User avatar
Redsgomarchingon
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Half this thread 4 years from now:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 pm

i prefer the rope

User avatar
samaside
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby samaside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm just going to wander into the Sahara. I'll either die or resurface ten years later and write an inspirational book about survival and finding God in the desert that will net me enough money to repay my loans. Failproof plan.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby Magnolia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:Half this thread 4 years from now:

--ImageRemoved--

lol, like anyone in this thread will be able to afford a gun in 4 years

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Magnolia wrote:
Redsgomarchingon wrote:Half this thread 4 years from now:

--ImageRemoved--

lol, like anyone in this thread will be able to afford a gun in 4 years


That's why above poster suggested rope.

VTOrange19
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: full tuition support thread

Postby VTOrange19 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Since we are all going massively into debt, let's loan out every dime we can and all contribute whatever we can afford to a pool. We all buy Powerball tickets in whatever state it is most reasonable (although it is nationwide I think, so wherever our elected trustee resides) and play our chances there. Winning the jackpot will be paid out in a percentage of however much everyone put in. I figure it will help us out a little bit, right?

Who says you can't gamble with borrowed money? Look at the stock market in the 1920's. They all made tons of money.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Anon.y.mousse., cyclawps, dddddd90, Keilz, lawlawland16, pizzagoblin, TudoBem and 17 guests