University of Washington LOCI

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lisjjen

University of Washington LOCI

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm in a weird place. I was accepted to 2 T13s and was given ~half scholarship to UT, but UW put me on their waitlist. I know people say that yeild protection is a myth, but I couldn't think of any reason why they didn't accept me. In all reality, I love the Northwest so much, I'd really rather just stick around if I could get a sizeable scholarship, but I don't know what to do. What do I tell them in a LOCI without sounding like a doucherocket?

JakeL

Re: University of Washington LOCI

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Look at LSN and read through the UW thread. It's not YP, their cycle has just been all over the place. Mr. Le told me directly that a LOCI wasn't necessary and wouldn't even be reviewed... Something about how they won't add anything to your file after a WL decision has been made. That being said it can't hurt, I'm sure with common sense you can figure out what to write. Maybe talk about your commitment to the NW??? If you get off the WL, don't expect them to throw any $$$.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:16 pm

^Weird. Mr. Le told me an LOCI would help...

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:22 pm

crit_racer wrote:^Weird. Mr. Le told me an LOCI would help...

effing outrageous. They need to get their shit straight if they are going to tell me, and presumably others, something like that...

EDIT: What kind of fucked up school is UW that it's admission dean can't even get its WL policy straight. sorry. I mad.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

lisjjen wrote:I'm in a weird place. I was accepted to 2 T13s and was given ~half scholarship to UT, but UW put me on their waitlist. I know people say that yeild protection is a myth, but I couldn't think of any reason why they didn't accept me. In all reality, I love the Northwest so much, I'd really rather just stick around if I could get a sizeable scholarship, but I don't know what to do. What do I tell them in a LOCI without sounding like a doucherocket?

You won't get a sizable scholarship unless you applied for the Gates thingy. Take the money you have and run.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Here is a draft of a LOCI I'm working on. You can use all or parts of it if you'd like:

My Most Dearest Mr. Le,

Thank you for running out of brochures the day I attended the local law school fair to find out more about your school. The professor responsible for sparking my interest in law recommended your institution, and I felt bound to honor his suggestion. I also appreciated the somewhat snide comment about being a public school and not having enough money to grant fee waivers when I inquired about the topic. No worries there; I hope you enjoy my 1% contribution to your (supposed) median award amount.

Thank you also for your suggestions about creating effective, rhetorically persuasive resumes and cover letters during the admissions panel. Your suggestions, combined with my life experience and the skills I've learned as a technical communicator, have been a great blessing during the entirety of my application cycle this year. In fact, your suggestions proved so worthwhile that they have secured me admission and substantial scholarship awards at other schools more renowned than your own.

The irony is that you, the very person that finally gave clarity to the jumble of thoughts related to (and pages of free-hand written in preparation for) those important documents, saw fit to waitlist me nearly two months after the jubilant letters started flooding in from admissions deans at these more prestigious schools.

Consider this my Letter of Continued Apathy for you and the entirety of the University of Washington School of Law application process. I may keep myself on the waitlist, hoping that those accepted wise up and withdraw, so when you call in May to offer me a spot I can put you on hold and go take a dump while viewing the physical viewbook of the school I decide to attend.

Good day to you sir,

zonto

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”