Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 pm

I couldn't find a thread for Tulsa. I know it is a "third tier school" (now considered "#110"), but I'd sure like to see if anyone else on here is considering it, or going to the preview weekend 3/25-3/26.

I'm gonna go and give them a fair shot, although I'm somewhat set on another school at the moment.

Anyone else?

I'm in, way back in November. Decent scholarship.

Ohiowick
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby Ohiowick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I'll be there

always206
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby always206 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Wait-Listed.. along with 11 other law schools.. FML

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Wow sorry to hear that.

jmill
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jmill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 pm

I'll be there this weekend. I'm like you though, not really considering them. Got a $10k scholly but it's not enough to lure me there.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm gonna give them a fair chance.
They were the quickest turn-around from LSAC file sent to decision. They were also one of the only schools to call me and speak with me about questions I had etc. I have been impressed with the mailings they have sent, with the ranking climb, and with the courteous staff thus far.

jmill
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jmill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 pm

txadv11 wrote:I'm gonna give them a fair chance.
They were the quickest turn-around from LSAC file sent to decision. They were also one of the only schools to call me and speak with me about questions I had etc. I have been impressed with the mailings they have sent, with the ranking climb, and with the courteous staff thus far.


I'll say this they are really striving to get you to their school, almost to the point of annoyance. But I too was impressed with their jump in ranks in the past 2 years. 37 spots is pretty good. Anyway I'll give them a chance, I'll see what they are really about this weekend. Question for you txadv11...are you going to the dinner Friday night? And are you going to try and here the speaker Friday afternoon?

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:50 pm

jmill wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I'm gonna give them a fair chance.
They were the quickest turn-around from LSAC file sent to decision. They were also one of the only schools to call me and speak with me about questions I had etc. I have been impressed with the mailings they have sent, with the ranking climb, and with the courteous staff thus far.


I'll say this they are really striving to get you to their school, almost to the point of annoyance. But I too was impressed with their jump in ranks in the past 2 years. 37 spots is pretty good. Anyway I'll give them a chance, I'll see what they are really about this weekend. Question for you txadv11...are you going to the dinner Friday night? And are you going to try and here the speaker Friday afternoon?

Actually I will be at everything. My flight lands around 2PM Friday, so I'll be at everything until like 6PM Saturday.

jmill
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jmill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jmill wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I'm gonna give them a fair chance.
They were the quickest turn-around from LSAC file sent to decision. They were also one of the only schools to call me and speak with me about questions I had etc. I have been impressed with the mailings they have sent, with the ranking climb, and with the courteous staff thus far.


I'll say this they are really striving to get you to their school, almost to the point of annoyance. But I too was impressed with their jump in ranks in the past 2 years. 37 spots is pretty good. Anyway I'll give them a chance, I'll see what they are really about this weekend. Question for you txadv11...are you going to the dinner Friday night? And are you going to try and here the speaker Friday afternoon?

Actually I will be at everything. My flight lands around 2PM Friday, so I'll be at everything until like 6PM Saturday.



Ah...well then I hope to see you there.

sarahc06
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:42 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby sarahc06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long...

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:26 pm

sarahc06 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long...


I'd say its possible. The LSAT could sneak you in, but that GPA is gonna hurt. If your addenda were compelling enough, I could see it happening. Are you by chance a Under-Represented Minority (URM), or a "non-traditonal" student?

sarahc06
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:42 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby sarahc06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm

txadv11 wrote:
sarahc06 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on my stats? I've been listed as "in review" on the status checker for quite a while, and I need to submit a deposit to one of the schools that I've been accepted to within the week so I'm running out of time!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 2.66 (My freshman year of college I suffered a head injury and lost short term memory, missing about 80% of my classes... I took some time off and returned to school and currently have a 3.52 gpa for my last three years of school, and a 3.67 degree gpa... obviously I wrote an addendum explaining this.)
Very strong personal statement
Strong recommendations
Average extra-curricular involvement
Full-time employment for last three years of school, part-time employment for freshman year

I guess I am just curious what my chances are and if it's a bad thing I've been in review for so long...


I'd say its possible. The LSAT could sneak you in, but that GPA is gonna hurt. If your addenda were compelling enough, I could see it happening. Are you by chance a Under-Represented Minority (URM), or a "non-traditonal" student?



No, not a minority... and only non-traditional in the sense that I took some time off from school but that only delayed my undergrad graduation by a year and a half.

jpjpporter
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jpjpporter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm

In via status checker, not sure if I will be attending, hoping for a scholarship

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

jpjpporter wrote:In via status checker, not sure if I will be attending, hoping for a scholarship


withdrew and freed up money. hope you get it.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:56 pm

sarahc06 wrote:No, not a minority... and only non-traditional in the sense that I took some time off from school but that only delayed my undergrad graduation by a year and a half.


Ok, well I'd have a LOCI readied just in case of a WL, and keep praying! I hope you get in!

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Flying in tomorrow! See you guys there.

jmill
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jmill » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Did anybody else have the Dean offer to pay for your 2nd night if you agree to meet with her Sunday for lunch?

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:50 am

jmill wrote:Did anybody else have the Dean offer to pay for your 2nd night if you agree to meet with her Sunday for lunch?

No! What did they say??

jmill
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jmill » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jmill wrote:Did anybody else have the Dean offer to pay for your 2nd night if you agree to meet with her Sunday for lunch?

No! What did they say??


I got an e-mail yesterday evening saying that Dean April Fox was going to pay for my 2nd night if I accepted her offer for lunch/brunch at 11 am Sunday. I accepted the offer.

Oh and I'm currently in Tulsa now. I don't like their roads.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 pm

jmill wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
jmill wrote:Did anybody else have the Dean offer to pay for your 2nd night if you agree to meet with her Sunday for lunch?

No! What did they say??


I got an e-mail yesterday evening saying that Dean April Fox was going to pay for my 2nd night if I accepted her offer for lunch/brunch at 11 am Sunday. I accepted the offer.

Oh and I'm currently in Tulsa now. I don't like their roads.

Leaving for airport now, see you there.

jmill
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby jmill » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 am

Thought I would share some thoughts here after my visit. The school is nice, it is going to be have a new look in the fall though. They are remodeling the classrooms and another common area. Faculty and staff seem interested and help. They tell you they have the best/world class professors (but then again what school doesn't say that). Students seem friendly and knowledgeable. Non-competitive environment. They have jumped 30 something ranking spots in the past 2 years, and are trying to break into the top 100 schools (currently sitting at 110 i believe). They are really big in energy law and Native American law, if you like those fields. Library is fairly large with plenty of space to hide away in a corner. However, with a tution of ~$30,000 + CoL expected around $20,000 (the figure they gave us at the ASW) paying $50,000 for this school just doesn't seem reasonable. Even with the scholarship I was given it would be cheaper over 3 years to go to an in-state school (closely ranked to Tulsa) that hasn't yet given me a scholarship, than it would be with the 1/3 scholly from Tulsa.

I can't justify going there right now, but if the were to throw more $ it could become a more attractive school.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 am

The good: Very friendly and helpful staff-admissions-professors. The centers are unique and relevant to the area (Native American, Energy, Health). Library was spacious and above average for where I've been. Small class size, and I think the student/teacher ratio is like 11:1.

The OK/neutral: The building, and campus. Students Orgs were OK for my interests, but not the best.

The bad: Tuition could raise quite a bit ("10-20%"), I'm skeptical of how ANY school, could boast 95% employment, especially when it was less than that in previous years and has increased in this economy. I may be wrong, but I just don't believe it.


Overall I could be happy there, but cost and lack of specialization in advocacy/litigation/criminal law areas would have to be sought out by me, as opposed to getting a certificate or program in those that is offered elsewhere.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm

I bet USNEWS ranking the 3rd tier will really help Tulsa in the long run. Now prospective students can say, oh look Tulsa is only 40 spots behind OU. Not, oh wow Tulsa is so crappy they ran out of numbers.

FYI I considered Tulsa but ended up getting lucky and having a better offer somewhere else. Good school though.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm

txadv11 wrote:The good: Very friendly and helpful staff-admissions-professors. The centers are unique and relevant to the area (Native American, Energy, Health). Library was spacious and above average for where I've been. Small class size, and I think the student/teacher ratio is like 11:1.

The OK/neutral: The building, and campus. Students Orgs were OK for my interests, but not the best.

The bad: Tuition could raise quite a bit ("10-20%"), I'm skeptical of how ANY school, could boast 95% employment, especially when it was less than that in previous years and has increased in this economy. I may be wrong, but I just don't believe it.


Overall I could be happy there, but cost and lack of specialization in advocacy/litigation/criminal law areas would have to be sought out by me, as opposed to getting a certificate or program in those that is offered elsewhere.


According to USNEWS only 44% of TU grads work in a full-time legal job. Only 16% of THOSE grads who work in the private sector reported a salary.

You need to finish in the top 10% for a decent private firm job, methinks.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:31 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:The good: Very friendly and helpful staff-admissions-professors. The centers are unique and relevant to the area (Native American, Energy, Health). Library was spacious and above average for where I've been. Small class size, and I think the student/teacher ratio is like 11:1.

The OK/neutral: The building, and campus. Students Orgs were OK for my interests, but not the best.

The bad: Tuition could raise quite a bit ("10-20%"), I'm skeptical of how ANY school, could boast 95% employment, especially when it was less than that in previous years and has increased in this economy. I may be wrong, but I just don't believe it.


Overall I could be happy there, but cost and lack of specialization in advocacy/litigation/criminal law areas would have to be sought out by me, as opposed to getting a certificate or program in those that is offered elsewhere.


According to USNEWS only 44% of TU grads work in a full-time legal job. Only 16% of THOSE grads who work in the private sector reported a salary.

You need to finish in the top 10% for a decent private firm job, methinks.


Yeah, I think its about top 10-20 for any school >50 right now.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests