Duke Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby JustE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

doublefocus4 wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:
sreichel wrote:Just got a waitlist update from Hill asking me to fill out an update form


+1


+2

Same here.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby protein » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm

so everyone on the WL got it?

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby sreichel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm

protein wrote:so everyone on the WL got it?

So far at least

TheMania22
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby TheMania22 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Should have posted a while ago. Got off w/$$ right after getting into NU from the WL. Will be attending in the fall. Really pumped.

User avatar
j12
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby j12 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm

TheMania22 wrote:Should have posted a while ago. Got off w/$$ right after getting into NU from the WL. Will be attending in the fall. Really pumped.

Thanks for the update and congrats

User avatar
Light
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby Light » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:45 pm

FUUU I'm still on the waitlist :evil: Got a confirmation of interest email thing yesterday.

envlaw2014
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby envlaw2014 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 am

I'm new to the forum but also waitlisted at Duke.

I talked to Mark Hill last week and he said that the waitlist still had a few hundred people on it, but that he expected that to decrease following to survey last week. Very disheartening.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:59 am

envlaw2014 wrote:I'm new to the forum but also waitlisted at Duke.

I talked to Mark Hill last week and he said that the waitlist still had a few hundred people on it, but that he expected that to decrease following to survey last week. Very disheartening.


A FEW HUNDRED?!?! Holy f*ckin crap. How many people do they need to fill the 5-10 spots that might open up? Seems somehow wrong to me.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:01 am

Maybe his next e-mail should say "abandon all hope ye who pine for a spot in our entering class"

envlaw2014
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby envlaw2014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 am

Basically.

I'm not sure what they are looking for at this point. I actually just received my master's from Duke. I completed several courses, and even TAed two courses, at Duke Law last year. I was also an Exec. Editor on the environmental law journal and completed more than 400 hours in the environmental clinic.

I'm still on the waitlist.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby protein » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 am

envlaw2014 wrote:Basically.

I'm not sure what they are looking for at this point. I actually just received my master's from Duke. I completed several courses, and even TAed two courses, at Duke Law last year. I was also an Exec. Editor on the environmental law journal and completed more than 400 hours in the environmental clinic.

I'm still on the waitlist.


numbers?

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:19 pm

envlaw2014 wrote:Basically.

I'm not sure what they are looking for at this point. I actually just received my master's from Duke. I completed several courses, and even TAed two courses, at Duke Law last year. I was also an Exec. Editor on the environmental law journal and completed more than 400 hours in the environmental clinic.

I'm still on the waitlist.


That sucks

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby JustE » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
envlaw2014 wrote:Basically.

I'm not sure what they are looking for at this point. I actually just received my master's from Duke. I completed several courses, and even TAed two courses, at Duke Law last year. I was also an Exec. Editor on the environmental law journal and completed more than 400 hours in the environmental clinic.

I'm still on the waitlist.


That sucks


Well, I guess I'm screwed! :lol:

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm

egirarde wrote:Well, I guess I'm screwed! :lol:


I suspect I am too.
You must have had some fantastic softs to have the cycle you did with your #'s though, so can't be too disappointed, right?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby JustE » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm

fingersxd wrote:
egirarde wrote:Well, I guess I'm screwed! :lol:


I suspect I am too.
You must have had some fantastic softs to have the cycle you did with your #'s though, so can't be too disappointed, right?


AA Male. Pretty good softs. 2.5 years of solid WE. Considering I applied after the deadline for 80% of my applications, I can't be mad at all... Unfortunatly, I'm still not happy with where I am... :(

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153486

envlaw2014
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby envlaw2014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 am

lower end of the range on LSAT (which I'm certain is the hang up)...I hate that grad work is not entered into the GPA/LSAT score

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby sreichel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 pm

sreichel wrote:Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.


Sounds like you are probably in...congrats. I haven't had an interview, but from speaking with others it seems that it's largely a formality if you can explain why you want to go to Duke.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby sreichel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 pm

fingersxd wrote:
sreichel wrote:Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.


Sounds like you are probably in...congrats. I haven't had an interview, but from speaking with others it seems that it's largely a formality if you can explain why you want to go to Duke.

Ok, thanks for the input :D :)

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby protein » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

fingersxd wrote:
sreichel wrote:Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.


Sounds like you are probably in...congrats. I haven't had an interview, but from speaking with others it seems that it's largely a formality if you can explain why you want to go to Duke.


this post will excite future classes of duke WL students who get the request for a phone interview

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:20 pm

protein wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
sreichel wrote:Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.


Sounds like you are probably in...congrats. I haven't had an interview, but from speaking with others it seems that it's largely a formality if you can explain why you want to go to Duke.


this post will excite future classes of duke WL students who get the request for a phone interview


Hope I'm not misleading anyone! Just passing along what I have heard.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby sreichel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:40 pm

fingersxd wrote:
protein wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
sreichel wrote:Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.


Sounds like you are probably in...congrats. I haven't had an interview, but from speaking with others it seems that it's largely a formality if you can explain why you want to go to Duke.


this post will excite future classes of duke WL students who get the request for a phone interview


Hope I'm not misleading anyone! Just passing along what I have heard.

I hope you're not either!

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby protein » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:21 am

fingersxd wrote:
protein wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
sreichel wrote:Received email asking when i'm available for a phone interview. Anyone who had the interview, what types of questions do they ask? Please PM (or post if you're comfortable), I want to be as prepared as I can be.


Sounds like you are probably in...congrats. I haven't had an interview, but from speaking with others it seems that it's largely a formality if you can explain why you want to go to Duke.


this post will excite future classes of duke WL students who get the request for a phone interview


Hope I'm not misleading anyone! Just passing along what I have heard.


nah i think you're right

phone interview = you're in unless you blow it completely

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby whitman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Anyone have any info on waitlist interview questions? Do they grill you pretty hard or is it more of a, "So...why do you want to come to Duke?" sort of thing?

shadowrunner
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Duke Waitlist 2011

Postby shadowrunner » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:14 pm

whitman wrote:Anyone have any info on waitlist interview questions? Do they grill you pretty hard or is it more of a, "So...why do you want to come to Duke?" sort of thing?


It is basically just "Why do you want to come to Duke?" and "What do you plan to do with your degree?" They are really just trying to get a feel for how likely you are to accept an admissions offer so if you are very likely to attend Duke if offered admission, make sure they know that, now is not the time to be coy :wink:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”