Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flexityflex86

Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Do you have to pay to stay on a waitlist/hold at a school? If so, and a school rejects you anyway but doesn't refund your deposit, wouldn't this be unethical?

subtle

Re: Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Postby subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 pm

You only pay a seat deposit to a school that has already accepted you. You don't pay to stay on a waitlist. If you're in at X school, submit a deposit. If Y school takes you off the waitlist (and you'd rather go), you can tell X school and just lose your deposit (part of it might be refundable, depending on the school's policy).

But no, you do not pay to stay on the waitlist.

flexityflex86

Re: Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 pm

subtle wrote:You only pay a seat deposit to a school that has already accepted you. You don't pay to stay on a waitlist. If you're in at X school, submit a deposit. If Y school takes you off the waitlist (and you'd rather go), you can tell X school and just lose your deposit (part of it might be refundable, depending on the school's policy).

But no, you do not pay to stay on the waitlist.

Okay, because I have some waitlists to t-5's that my #'s should not really have given me a chance at, and at first I thought I had some shot of getting in, but the cynic in me thought maybe it's some kind of ponzi scheme.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”