. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which to attend

Fordham at almost full tuition
38%
Cardozo for close to free
63%

Total votes: 64

kruiz88

Bronze

Re: Cardozo vs. Fordham decision

Post by kruiz88 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:43 pm

kruiz88 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Cardozo Law Review is excellent. It is much better that the school's rank would suggest.
Very true, but the same holds true for Fordham. Thanks for your insight, and I'm guessing by the results that Fordham is not significantly better than Dozo to warrant the six figure difference in tuition.
Well, it is hard to know how much of this is the NYC halo effect, and how much of it is actually deserved. It is certainly interesting to see that Hofstra Law Review is also highly ranked.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Danteshek wrote:
kruiz88 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Cardozo Law Review is excellent. It is much better that the school's rank would suggest.
Very true, but the same holds true for Fordham. Thanks for your insight, and I'm guessing by the results that Fordham is not significantly better than Dozo to warrant the six figure difference in tuition.
Well, it is hard to know how much of this is the NYC halo effect, and how much of it is actually deserved. It is certainly interesting to see that Hofstra Law Review is also highly ranked.
Valid point.

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:03 am

Cardozo...

I almost had to make this decision so I thought a lot about it. Obviously, the money speaks for itself so I won't bother making that argument. I have spoken with a couple of lawyers at a top NYC firm (who I happen to play hockey with on occasion) and they told me that I would be crazy to turn down the money in this economy because there just isn't a big enough difference between the schools in terms of education quality. One of them made a really good point...on your resume, you will have something indicating that you won a prestigious scholarship at Cardozo. It probably wouldn't be difficult to mention that you had been accepted into Fordham, but decided on Cardozo for financial reasons (thus demonstrating that you COULD have went to a 'better' school)...just a thought, good luck with your decision!

**Edit...Also, I think that a lot of people on this board get caught up in the rankings and prestige of attending a higher school. In the end, I really think it comes down to who you meet and how you present yourself. Maybe I'm in for a rude awakening, I guess I'll find out.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:32 am

IsleMet wrote:Cardozo...

I almost had to make this decision so I thought a lot about it. Obviously, the money speaks for itself so I won't bother making that argument. I have spoken with a couple of lawyers at a top NYC firm (who I happen to play hockey with on occasion) and they told me that I would be crazy to turn down the money in this economy because there just isn't a big enough difference between the schools in terms of education quality. One of them made a really good point...on your resume, you will have something indicating that you won a prestigious scholarship at Cardozo. It probably wouldn't be difficult to mention that you had been accepted into Fordham, but decided on Cardozo for financial reasons (thus demonstrating that you COULD have went to a 'better' school)...just a thought, good luck with your decision!

**Edit...Also, I think that a lot of people on this board get caught up in the rankings and prestige of attending a higher school. In the end, I really think it comes down to who you meet and how you present yourself. Maybe I'm in for a rude awakening, I guess I'll find out.
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 am

I say Cardozo. You shouldn't even be talking about big law unless you are comparing a T14ish school to a non-T14ish school.

If you don't get big law/big gov/fed clerk, you prospects from either school will be similar. Neither is the best school in the city - or second best - so employers who hire outside of those two areas will likely choose graduates based on personal preference between the two schools. Assuming this is true, go with the cheaper option. Thus, I would say Cardozo.

GraniteState

New

Post by GraniteState » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Unless it's a full ride without any gpa requirement, Fordham always.
Brian Griffin is such an elitist, with his ivy league undergrad and his writing for the New Yorker for like half an episode.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Are you Jewish? It shouldn't matter, but it does. Now being Jewish might hurt you at Cardozo, but at Fordham it definitely would not.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:45 pm

kruiz88 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Are you Jewish? It shouldn't matter, but it does. Now being Jewish might hurt you at Cardozo, but at Fordham it definitely would not.
In what way?
A larger percentage of Cardozo alums are Jewish. New York City is still a pretty clannish place. Wasps, Jews etc tend to stick together. Not like 50 years ago, but the problem isn't close to totally fading away.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Asking myself the same question. The $ at Dozo is so tempting.
Then where should I go if I want to practice in NY? Gulc? Cardozo (with $18k/yr scholly), or Fordham?, or GW (which with the huge scholly will cost 1/2 of what the other schools will cost)
I got into all 4.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:30 pm

kruiz88 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
kruiz88 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Are you Jewish? It shouldn't matter, but it does. Now being Jewish might hurt you at Cardozo, but at Fordham it definitely would not.
In what way?
A larger percentage of Cardozo alums are Jewish. New York City is still a pretty clannish place. Wasps, Jews etc tend to stick together. Not like 50 years ago, but the problem isn't close to totally fading away.
That's sad.
Agree. But consider yourself warned. My cousin who graduated from Cardozo was complaining about this just the other day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:31 pm

My cousin who graduated from Cardozo was complaining about this just the other day.
As if this is the only reason a Cardozo alum can't find a job.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Danteshek wrote:My cousin who graduated from Cardozo was complaining about this just the other day.
As if that was Danteshek's point. :roll:

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:45 pm

sundance95 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Danteshek wrote:My cousin who graduated from Cardozo was complaining about this just the other day.
Well, my cousin is a grandson of a Supreme Court Justice, if that tells you anything.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 pm

actually its pretty much right on point in terms of job prospects. Crappy or limited alumni network = shallow job prospects. Disagree?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:47 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Thats the issue here. Fordham sent around 25% to biglaw, cardozo around 12%. Is the extra 100k worth a 12% greater chance? Thats for you to decide.
12% for one hundred thousand dollars? That seems awfully steep, OP.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Danteshek wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Well, my cousin is a grandson of a Supreme Court Justice, if that tells you anything.
It tells me he didn't get the supreme court legacy admissions bump into a better school than cardozo.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:49 pm

MrAnon wrote:actually its pretty much right on point in terms of job prospects. Crappy or limited alumni network = shallow job prospects. Disagree?
I have no idea what this point of this post is. Explain?

I don't disagree with your equation but again, that wasn't Dante's point...Also not sure if one could characterize Cardozo's network in NYC as crappy or limited.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:50 pm

MrAnon wrote:It tells me he didn't get the supreme court legacy admissions bump into a better school than cardozo.
He was not cut out for law school or the legal profession, unfortunately. I feel bad for him. He had a huge burden to bear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 am

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”