Waitlist advice - W&M

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ZSR10

Waitlist advice - W&M

Postby ZSR10 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 am

I have been waitlisted at William and Mary and am wondering what I can do to boost my chances. I have sent three LORs so far, would more be appropriate? I am working on an LOCI, how much should I emphasize that William and Mary is my dream school? I am going to update my resume with some new work experience that involves legal work. My GPA was only a 3.36 but I have extenuating circumstances which were explained in an addendum. LSAT was a 163.

What else can I do folks? And please don't leave a bunch of "your stuff isn't high enough posts." Thats not what I am looking for.

Moral_Midgetry

Re: Waitlist advice - W&M

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

ZSR10 wrote:I have been waitlisted at William and Mary and am wondering what I can do to boost my chances. I have sent three LORs so far, would more be appropriate? I am working on an LOCI, how much should I emphasize that William and Mary is my dream school? I am going to update my resume with some new work experience that involves legal work. My GPA was only a 3.36 but I have extenuating circumstances which were explained in an addendum. LSAT was a 163.

What else can I do folks? And please don't leave a bunch of "your stuff isn't high enough posts." Thats not what I am looking for.

Retaking in June will help you the most to get off the WL. However, your chances of getting off it are very low. You also may want to consider visiting and meeting with Dean Shealy.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

I would say - keep sending LOCIs (as relevant), visit the campus if at all humanly possible and try to meet with the admissions staff/take a tour and be patient. The W&M waitlist seems pretty large.

ebo

Postby ebo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am

ZSR10 wrote:I have been waitlisted at William and Mary and am wondering what I can do to boost my chances. I have sent three LORs so far, would more be appropriate? I am working on an LOCI, how much should I emphasize that William and Mary is my dream school? I am going to update my resume with some new work experience that involves legal work. My GPA was only a 3.36 but I have extenuating circumstances which were explained in an addendum. LSAT was a 163.

Are you a URM?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:33 pm

I doubt he is a URM, or else he would of gotten in. I am hispanic have a higher GPA and same LSAT and was WL'ed. To be honest, their waitlist is ridiculous, and OP should retake and hit 165 if he wants to get off the waitlist. People with higher numbers probably are going to be sending in LOCI's as well, so that alone won't do it. Visit the campus and meet with the dean of admissions, if you blow him away, he may take you off the WL, otherwise your only hope is retaking in June. This might not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

ebo

Postby ebo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:44 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I doubt he is a URM, or else he would of gotten in. I am hispanic have a higher GPA and same LSAT and was WL'ed. To be honest, their waitlist is ridiculous, and OP should retake and hit 165 if he wants to get off the waitlist. People with higher numbers probably are going to be sending in LOCI's as well, so that alone won't do it. Visit the campus and meet with the dean of admissions, if you blow him away, he may take you off the WL, otherwise your only hope is retaking in June. This might not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

I was waitlisted with a 166, and from what I can gather there's little hope for me. OP, you're well below both their GPA and LSAT medians- your best bet is probably to retake and reapply next cycle if you're absolutely sold on W&M. No sense in paying for a trip to Williamsburg now to meet with the dean. What other schools are you considering?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:02 pm

I also was waitlisted this week with a 166. Im prolly going to retake in june, but not really for that reason. I only took once and left some points on the board, so why not. If it really is your dream school, you should likely retake.

For what its worth, WM was the last school I applied to and I only did because it was free, so if I dont get off fairly early, ill likely withdraw. Theres one less potential hurdle. GL.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't think most people are getting off of that waitlist. I was waitlisted with a 162 and a 3.78 and I'm a URM. People with 170+ also got waitlisted. Trying again next time is probably all you can do.

brose

Postby brose » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm

snapdragon wrote:I would say - keep sending LOCIs (as relevant), visit the campus if at all humanly possible and try to meet with the admissions staff/take a tour and be patient. The W&M waitlist seems pretty large.

This. If stats were all that mattered, I wouldn't have been accepted (160, 3.7, Non-URM). They're very holistic - if it's your dream school, then show them! Good luck.

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 pm

this is what's listed under their TLS profile. I hope it helps:

The Waitlist

Dean Shealy had this to say to students who find themselves in admissions limbo:

We conduct a second review of all waitlist files so every applicant has a chance of being considered again for admission.

Take the opportunity to advise us of your continued interest and where William & Mary stands on your priority list. Supplement your file to keep it up-to-date and strengthen it with additional letters of recommendation, your final transcript if we don’t have one already, additional awards or new recognitions that you have received. Summer work experience and/or activities may also be helpful. Make sure your file is as strong as possible.”

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”