Held at University of Miami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
J21

Held at University of Miami

Postby J21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Just a place for people to post if they have been accepted or rejected after being placed on hold at UM. I'm still currently on hold- 155, 3.33.

mrwarre85

Re: Held at University of Miami

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 pm

J21 wrote:Just a place for people to post if they have been accepted or rejected after being placed on hold at UM. I'm still currently on hold- 155, 3.33.

hold still. 164/2.9

always206

Postby always206 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Held since mid-February. Submitted LOCI. I'm curious as to how many applicants off the "held" status get admitted. Last year, according to LSAC.org, over 4,600 people applied, 2,400 were accepted, and I think 530 enrolled?

Waiting sucks. I even told them if admitted I would immediately secured a seat.

bpiercea1

Postby bpiercea1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 pm

On hold since 2/17 154 3.2 Pretty sure they sent out acceptances to some on the hold list around end of February.

Ohiowick

Postby Ohiowick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

bpiercea1 wrote:On hold since 2/17 154 3.2 Pretty sure they sent out acceptances to some on the hold list around end of February.

+1

victor3712

Postby victor3712 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:04 am

J21 wrote:Just a place for people to post if they have been accepted or rejected after being placed on hold at UM. I'm still currently on hold- 155, 3.33.

HOLD still 157 3.3

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:07 am

bpiercea1 wrote:On hold since 2/17 154 3.2 Pretty sure they sent out acceptances to some on the hold list around end of February.

This is true. I was held mid-February and admitted at the end of the month.

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm on hold, too.

156/3.32

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Don't know if everyone's already seen the other thread, but a lot of our hold statuses have changed to view admissions documents needed. This is what happened last time before those on hold were admitted so hopefully some good news is coming our way soon.

FrOhara1213

Postby FrOhara1213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 pm

flgator10 wrote:Don't know if everyone's already seen the other thread, but a lot of our hold statuses have changed to view admissions documents needed. This is what happened last time before those on hold were admitted so hopefully some good news is coming our way soon.

My hold status changed on Friday to "admissions documents needed," am expecting news sometime by the end of next week. Good luck all!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Just think of it this way. Now, since all their money is gone, you don't have to pay sticker for that hilariously overpriced school.

If you are independently wealthy or whatever, disregard.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:34 pm

rad law wrote:Just think of it this way. Now, since all their money is gone, you don't have to pay sticker for that hilariously overpriced school.

I agree that it's very expensive. But on the other hand, Miami must be doing something to right to jump in the rankings in the past few years.. Even from last year to this year, going from 71 to 60 isn't bad.

That being said, I do wish it were cheaper lol.. (already accepted at Miami, waiting on other schools..)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
rad law wrote:Just think of it this way. Now, since all their money is gone, you don't have to pay sticker for that hilariously overpriced school.

I agree that it's very expensive. But on the other hand, Miami must be doing something to right to jump in the rankings in the past few years.. Even from last year to this year, going from 71 to 60 isn't bad.

That being said, I do wish it were cheaper lol.. (already accepted at Miami, waiting on other schools..)

I agree, its too expensive. I'm deciding between SMU, Rutgers, and Miami. Radlaw, you flock to Miami threads like a moth to a flame, perhaps you could offer some insight for me. From NY, would prefer to work in Dallas or S. FL. SMU is part-time and I really don't like that idea, despite loving the school. Thoughts? Anyway Miami could work, or is the legal market just too small to support the class size?

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Justathought wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

I agree, its too expensive. I'm deciding between SMU, Rutgers, and Miami. Radlaw, you flock to Miami threads like a moth to a flame, perhaps you could offer some insight for me. From NY, would prefer to work in Dallas or S. FL. SMU is part-time and I really don't like that idea, despite loving the school. Thoughts? Anyway Miami could work, or is the legal market just too small to support the class size?

I have friends at Miami, FSU, and UF Law at the moment. None of them are saying good things about the job market.. but they all know people with jobs lined up.. Who knows if it'll be better/worse in three years. Can't really speak for SMU.
Decisions are tough these days. :?

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Justathought wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

Born and raised in Dallas, and I work at a large firm with an office in Dallas now. Feel free to PM me. I can give you quite a bit of insight in to SMU.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Justathought wrote:I agree, its too expensive. I'm deciding between SMU, Rutgers, and Miami. Radlaw, you flock to Miami threads like a moth to a flame, perhaps you could offer some insight for me. From NY, would prefer to work in Dallas or S. FL. SMU is part-time and I really don't like that idea, despite loving the school. Thoughts? Anyway Miami could work, or is the legal market just too small to support the class size?

Do you have any ties to Miami?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:49 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:I agree that it's very expensive. But on the other hand, Miami must be doing something to right to jump in the rankings in the past few years.. Even from last year to this year, going from 71 to 60 isn't bad.

Doing something right could be raising LSAT scores or median GPA. That rankings boost is not gonna translate to more job opportunities.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:59 pm

rad law wrote:
Justathought wrote:I agree, its too expensive. I'm deciding between SMU, Rutgers, and Miami. Radlaw, you flock to Miami threads like a moth to a flame, perhaps you could offer some insight for me. From NY, would prefer to work in Dallas or S. FL. SMU is part-time and I really don't like that idea, despite loving the school. Thoughts? Anyway Miami could work, or is the legal market just too small to support the class size?

No sir, no ties to the region. Just like the idea of no state income tax and warmer weather. Obviously I will commit to whatever region I end up in, but NYC, even if I won the biglaw lottery from Rutgers, is no cake walk with 160k.

On the plus side I don't have to take out loans for school, thanks to prior work (30 year old guy). Still though, I don't want to flush money down the drain if that's what attending Miami means. It seems like the market there may be too small to support Miami's class size. I worry about a job at top 25%, and am even more terrified at median.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 am

Justathought wrote:
rad law wrote:

No sir, no ties to the region. Just like the idea of no state income tax and warmer weather. Obviously I will commit to whatever region I end up in, but NYC, even if I won the biglaw lottery from Rutgers, is no cake walk with 160k.

On the plus side I don't have to take out loans for school, thanks to prior work (30 year old guy). Still though, I don't want to flush money down the drain if that's what attending Miami means. It seems like the market there may be too small to support Miami's class size. I worry about a job at top 25%, and am even more terrified at median.

Miami is too small to support UF, UM, Nova, FIU, and the people from prestigious T25ish schools who want to be there. The thing is, because your chance of biglaw is small, you're looking for small and midsize firms, plus whatever local govt. is left. This is gonna be really hard not being from the area. You don't have a network (or have a small one from law school), and you're not a local boy. And it's not as simple as Top 25% gets jobs, median doesn't. With smaller firms and govt., a lot of it is about fit and networking. Many of these firms aren't as grade conscious. You won't have debt, but you may not get a legal job at all. If I were you, I'd take the safer bet and try to retake and get into UF, if you really want to practice in FL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”