How likely?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lawyer76

How likely?

Postby Lawyer76 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 am

How likely are you to get off of a waitlist. Do schools usually over accept or do they admit a number close to their projected admissions number and take candidates off of the waitlist?

chasgoose

Re: How likely?

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 am

Lawyer76 wrote:How likely are you to get off of a waitlist. Do schools usually over accept or do they admit a number close to their projected admissions number and take candidates off of the waitlist?

Looking at the yields of most schools, with the exception of HYS, most schools overaccept by a lot (even Columbia accepts about 3x as many students as the number that ends up enrolling). Also, these schools have a pretty good idea of how many people they need to accept in order to get to their desired class size based on historical data so they are rarely off by that much. As a result, waitlists are most often a soft rejection (with perhaps the exception of some schools like Berkeley that seem to reject much more often) and only a few will be taken from it any given year. I would start trying to move on from the waitlist now and start getting revved up about whatever law school you will be attending as its important to focus on settling down there for three years. That way, you aren't hurt when it doesn't happen for you (most likely result) and you are pleasantly surprised if it does work out.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:20 am

WL = de facto rejection

Exceptions
1. You were YP
2. Extremely compelling LOCI / other file updates

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:40 am

I think it just depends. In my own case, I was on maybe 10 or so waitlists at one time or another. I got off 2 of them, and am attending one of them. I withdrew from 4. And I was denied by another 4 (only 2 of which I even attempted to pursue).

That said, I do think a number of schools use it as a "soft rejection" so to speak. But as I said before, I think it depends on (1) the school, (2) the unique situation, and (3) how well you follow up and pursue it (which I have come to think is an art).

A lot of schools keep bigger waitlists because they don't know who will drop, and they will want a similar stat to fill their place (if that makes sense).

In short, keep pursuing your waitlists that you are interested in, but also be ready to attend one of the schools you are already admitted to. Be flexible. :D

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:43 am

tttlllsss wrote:WL = de facto rejection

Exceptions
1. You were YP
2. Extremely compelling LOCI / other file updates

I agree with the above. I would add:

3. You are a good fit for a recently vacated spot in the class and you have given the adcomm a good reason to pick you over others that would also fit the spot.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:35 pm

A higher Lsat score in June and consistent contact with a school could compel a school to go to you first when and if they do start looking at the waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”