Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship - which to use? (or wait)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtemp320

Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship - which to use? (or wait)

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 pm

My options are:

Dean's Scholarship at Cornell (45k a year - 135k total)
Duke (25k a year - 75k total)

...or wait to hear from Penn where I am under consideration for the James Wilson (20-25k a year, 60-75k total)

Stats etc are at the LSN link in my profile.

Suggestions?

bhan87

Re: Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship - which to use? (or wait)

Postby bhan87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I really regret not applying to more schools because I have little to negotiate with x.x

Do you have an approximate time frame for when Penn will make a decision? The downside to waiting would be Berk drying up their funds for merit aid, but I think it's worth the risk if you're confident you'll get James Wilson.

If you want to go now, I think choosing Cornell over Duke's offer for the matching application would be a better choice. Definitely play up the cost of living card.

jtemp320

Re: Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship - which to use? (or wait)

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 pm

bhan87 wrote:I really regret not applying to more schools because I have little to negotiate with x.x

Do you have an approximate time frame for when Penn will make a decision? The downside to waiting would be Berk drying up their funds for merit aid, but I think it's worth the risk if you're confident you'll get James Wilson.

If you want to go now, I think choosing Cornell over Duke's offer for the matching application would be a better choice. Definitely play up the cost of living card.

Penn did say they would "begin notifying recipients at the beginning of March" but: 1. I don't think anyone has heard yet and 2. I sent in my scholarship essay right at the deadline in Mid-February so I may not be one of the first to hear back.

I appreciate the feedback. Just to give a little more background my top 3 right now are Berkeley, NYU and CLS - given significant cost difference I would choose Berkeley over the NY schools but otherwise am leaning slightly the other way. Lately I also have begun considering if going anywhere but HYS at sticker is crazy ITE and I should visit Durham and Ithaca and see how I feel...

Anyone else?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”